Apologies to the LGBTQ+ Community: Is It Really Necessary?

scarlett

Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau made headlines by delivering an emotional filled apology to all members of the Canadian LGBTQ+ community for past discrimination and wrongdoing they endured. People around the world are praising Trudeau for his act of bringing awareness to the decades long struggle the LGBTQ+ community has faced against oppression at the hands of their own governments.

Today, we offer a long overdue apology to all those whom we, the Government of Canada, wronged. We are sorry. We hope by acknowledging our failings we can make the crucial progress LGBTQ2 people in Canada deserve. We will continue to support each other in our fight for equality because we know that Canada gets stronger every single day that we choose to embrace diversity - Trudeau

Some are wondering when (or if) other nations that have historically oppressed this community will also acknowledge their wrongdoings. However, others are questioning why apologies for past wrongs is necessary. Does apologizing really make a difference? Some say we should let the past stay in the past and it makes no sense to apologize for things others in the past did. This is the notion that I am addressing in this myTake.

I believe Canada is ahead of the game when it comes to gaining equality for all historically oppressed minority groups but it doesn't hurt to acknowledge that mistakes were made in the past. By acknowledging those mistakes, it shows a big step in the right direction and may even help other nations follow suit in giving their LGBT communities those basic rights that are still missing in much of the world.

Here is a brief excerpt of his speech.

As an example of one thing Trudeau is apologizing for, apparently "the government introduced legislation to expunge the criminal records of those convicted of having consensual same-sex activity. Canada decriminalized homosexuality in 1969, yet records of the convictions remain. The bill earmarks 4 million Canadian dollars ($3.11 million) over the next two fiscal years to carry out the destruction of these criminal records.

Trudeau also announced an agreement had been reached in a class-action lawsuit for 110 million Canadian dollars ($85.80 million) to be paid out to former civil servants and members of the military who lost their jobs because of their sexual orientation. A ban on lesbian and gay military service persisted until 1992." (taken from this news article).

I agree that it is unacceptable for members of the LGBTQ+ community to continue to carry around criminal records simply because of who they love! Actions like this can go a long way towards helping individuals reconcile with the Canadian government for the hatred they experienced in the past when Canada was not so LGBTQ+ friendly. It is also a big step towards healing. And since many of those people who experienced that discrimination are still alive today, I say apologizing IS necessary! I would also love to see more countries follow suit, acknowledge their wrongdoings, and continue to strive for equality.

What do you think about this? If you are not Canadian, do you feel your country should follow Trudeau's footsteps? Share your thoughts below. ❤️💛💚💙💜

56
28
28Girl Opinion
56Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Guy

• truthbeknown
    Canadian here, and I fucking hate JT!!! Ok, the apology thing is for anyone who was fired or denied employment in any level of a Canadian Government job, including RCMP, Military, Parliament, and even municipal levels simply because you were gay. I fully support any sexuality, and therefore if you were fired or denied employment simply because you are gay, then yes, you should get an official apology. What I don't agree with is the possibility that the Canadian government may be open to or obliged to financially compensate those people in the same regard as Omar Khadr or Abdullah Almalki, Ahmad El Maati and Muayyed Nureddin were. I highly doubt any monies would be in the millions of dollars, but this still could cost tax payers in the millions depending on how many there are and how far this goes. Paying people out is not fair because other employment opportunities existed, plus, there was no guarantee they would have stayed there or possibly had been fired for legitimate reasons anyways. This is just more proof that Liberal mentality is a mental disorder saying that just because you are gay you are automatically repressed and therefore a victim and you should be automatically compensated for by everyone else. Socialism and wealth redistribution one "sorry" at a time.
    LikeDisagree 5 People
    Is this still revelant?
    • USA1960

truthbeknown - You are a wise man Sir.

Most Helpful Girl

• Anonymous
    Nah, there was never a lgbq massacre so what is there to be sorry for?

If it's the bullying then fat people need an apology too
    LikeDisagree 7 People
    Is this still revelant?
    • QooLipBite

Exactly 😂😂😂

• Ever heard of the holocaust? LGBT+ people were killed in that. Many other mass shootings have happened too. Look it up.

• QooLipBite

@RachelleDraws don't be dumb. There weren't genocides on a mass scale that SPECIFICALLY target LGBT+, they were just a small inclusive group. NEITHER were they politically motivated by governments.

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

2755
  • hellionthesagereborn
    Nope, its moronic. Did he do those things? No. Did the current generation do those things? No. Does the current generation carry the sins of their forefathers on their back and thus have an obligation to prostrate themselves to people who have not been adversely effected by these things? No. So why make the apology? The irish where forced to the America's against their will as "indentured servants"(i. e. slaves in all but name), they where discriminated against, worse then blacks early on actually as blacks where considered more agreeable and more resilient to the heat. Does the current generation owe us an apology? No. They did no wrong, we did not experience this discrimination so we where never wronged, and they did no wrong. An apology is pandering, but more importantly its instilling a victim complex and a sense of entitlement to people who have not really been effected. Are their some individuals who do wrong and have discriminated? Sure, but those are individuals, why would we hold an entire generation, or an entire country accountable for the actions of an individual? This again, causes a victim complex and a sense of entitlement which creates inequality. That's why you have the controversy where a Christian baker, believing that gay marriage went against his religious beliefs, is being sued and punished for not doing what a gay couple felt he should do, felt they where "owed". Meanwhile the man had been there baker for years never having issue with their sexuality only with the marriage as he believed it was between a man and a woman yet his rights did not matter, the rights of the LGBTQ community mattered more. That's why when a gay coffee shop owner discriminated against a group of Christians by kicking them out of his coffee shop simply because he found out they where Christian, no one batted an eye. We have now set a precedence that LGBTQ entitlments trump other peoples rights. That is very very dangerous. So no, you cannot treat people as equals by discriminating against others, by placing others on a pedestal which Trudeau did. We have all been wronged at some point in history, their is not a single group that has not been discriminated against, not a single group that has not discriminated, by acting as if one where many, by assigning group guilt we are effectively ensuring that this new group gains enough of a protective status to start discriminating themselves. Focus on the individuals actions, do not assign them to the group.
    Like 1 Person
  • sawno
    People need to stop bowing and apologising to that community in general if they make unreasonable demands. By doing so they keep encouraging very poor sjw behavior and this movement as a result have weaponized there victimhood to oppress others.
    LikeDisagree 7 People
    • I don't think LGBTQ people are making any unreasonable demands in this particular instance. At least I haven't heard of any in the last couple of days. The apology is politicized for sure, but it's about acknowledging the fact that many Canadians were fired from civil servant or government jobs, or dishonourably discharged from the Canadian Forces because of their sexuality.

• Just like these old christian couples who refused to bake for fags.
      their store got shut down cause the fags couldn't handle it.

• ladsin
    I don't care about apologies, although they are nice. I care about what we're doing in the here and now, you can apologize until you're blue in the face, but unless you're actively supporting equal rights I won't give two shits about your apology.

For me it's like our current president (trump) saying he was the party of the LGBT community then picking a VP that was for electroshock torture of the gays.
    LikeDisagree 4 People
    • Mike Pence is such a weirdo. He refers to his wife as Mother and won’t eat dinner with someone besides his wife. As if you can’t speak with another women unless it’s sexual or something.

• But I agree actions speak louder than words.

• ladsin

@bloodmountain1990 yeah, he's certainly an interesting fellow, this whole administration drives me pretty crazy, and not because I'm liberally minded (liberal libertarian) but just because they're all so awful, I don't understand how this all came to be.

• WTFliberals
    Every sane person knows that Justin Trudeau is cuck !!!
    He gave millions for convicted terrorists
    He made half his cabinet of women... why? he said its 2015 !!!
    He apologizes for anything PC related.

I don't have any respect for him.
    LikeDisagree 11 People
    • Me neither. Such a pathetic cuck...

• BobMonster

Yes, I would like to respect him so much, but he just makes it impossible.

• FakeName123
    It makes no sense. The majority has no obligation to apologise to the minority. The majorities job is it to make a functional society. Once it functions and creates safety and wealth, miniorities will benefit from what the majority created as well.

Apologising essentially downplays the creation of a functional society that made it even possible in the first place for all those people to have an open lifestyle.
    LikeDisagree 4 People
  • WhistleForTheChoir
    The actual apology isn't as important as the amends he's willing to give people who were jailed, whose careers were destroyed and whose entire lives were torn apart because they were gay.
    Like 2 People
    • scarlett

I agree. Taking action to fix things like that is important.

• curiousnorway
    I think it would be more effective and better to focusing on the present where people are working on improving people's rights instead. I think it's a good thing people are looking at the past to learn, so they don't do the same mistake again. But what people did in the past isn't what people who lives today is responsible for, because they weren't involved in what happen before their time. It's nothing wrong with apologizing, but it wouldn't make the most sense either.
    LikeDisagree 5 People
  • luna_love
    yeah there is no need for any of this. we are all equal under the law and that's enough. no need for apologize for something your great grandfather might or might not have done. you are responsible for things you do and say, not for things somebody else has done or said.
    Like 1 Person
  • USA1960
    I believe in the old adage, " Live and Let Live". However, I do not " support " that LifeStyle. It goes against my personal and moral beliefs. The LGBTQ Groups have been shoving their " lifestyle " down the throats ( No Pun Intended ) of Heterosexual persons for far too long. and that is total b. s. Apologies? Hell no.
    LikeDisagree 6 People
    • As a straight person, you have never had to live with the fear of people turning on you or hating you purely for your sexuality. You didn't hide in your room crying, wishing you were a different sexuality then what you were born. And the 'shoving down throats' thing you only experience due to being homophobic. I only argue and/or pester someone about the subject who is directing homophobia towards me, my friends or people I know.

• USA1960

@RachelleDraws - 1. I'm Proud to be " Homophobic " as your sort likes to dish out. 2. Gays have LONG enjoyed the rights and freedom from beatings and the like, just as any Nationality, Race, or Gender does, yet " yes " all those mentioned, and more are sometimes done wrong on various levels. 3. No, I do not, nor have I ever had to cry in my bedroom over such a twisted ill-logical belief system that I am but what I am, that being a male. I am Heterosexual, and I am an M. F-ing Proud Heterosexual. I offer zero apologies for that. Nor do I offer sympathy for men " thinking that their anything but a male, nor a female with similar twisted views. So take you " Homophobic " name calling ass on down your yellow brick road Dorthy. I will continue to fund Organizations that repel your bizarre and sick thinking, and I will continue to speak the truth and never give into to the perversion of the LGBTQXRS etc idiocracy.

• @RachelleDraws Disagreeing with someone's lifestyle doesn't mean you have a phobia. I disagree with pornography, but that doesn't mean I have a phobia of porn stars. I believe that gay people should have the right to be what they want to be and live their lives without being bullied or harassed. But why is it that people like you can't respect other people having a different opinion? Some people hold deeply religious beliefs or they simply disagree based on their conscience. People like you always talk about tolerance, yet I can't help noticing how intolerant you are towards those who don't agree with you. So yes, gay people should have the right to be what they want to be, but they have no right to force their sexuality onto the rest of society. There has to be respect on both sides.

• Redstang88
    As for the apology - sure, whatever. Couldn't care less.
    As for spending 115 million fucking dollars on it - that's borderline treasonous. He was born to kiss ass, he should stick to what he knows. Namely be kept far away from financial decisions.

I said it from day one - it took us 20 years to recover from the damage his father did, and Trudumb Jr will be even worse.
    Like 2 People
    • I was going to write my own opinion.

Then I read this one and decided I could not have said it any better.

But you know, to lefties, it's always the words and never the money that matters.

And that will remain true until the money runs out.

• BeekidyBop
    In general, I'd prefer an apology that wasn't necessary to no apology when one was needed. In this case I belive that Trudeau's apology was sincere and deserved and I commend Canada's leadership while wishing my own country would take this as a lesson and get with the program.
  • BuchitaBuchys
    Yes. Those in power had real affect in the lives of these people. It would be better if those making such policies like openly allowing discrimination like firing just for being gay, or blocking marriage equality, etc to make the apology themselves, but bigots would never do such things.
  • Purple_Babe14
    Yeah, because just because someone is different, does not give us the right to judge them. Fucking let them be them, and you be you. What's the point of throwing all this childish ass shade. If you offend someone of the LGBT community just be a grown ass person and apologize.

@Hemlock, I would love to meet your cousin if I had the chance. I would love them no matter who they are, or what they like. This is what I should have said.
    Disagree 1 Person
  • Izumiblu
    It’s cheap and meaningless as it doesn’t actually accomplish anything. Therefore I don’t really care if he apologized or not. I also don’t care if the leader of my country apologizes because it takes not effort and doesn’t do anything positive or negative.
    • I agree. Apologizing doesn't really mean anything. We can't change the past, we can only acknowledge it and move forward.

• Astoriana
    He was apologizing to military members and civil servants who were fired for being gay. Just FYI.
    Like 1 Person
    • Astoriana

Also, it’s notable that Trudeau decided to apologize to residential school survivors from Newfoundland and Labrador (though in reality just Labrador. The Innu Nation is mostly situated around Goose Bay. Worked with some Innu people when I worked in a mine.), something which the Grand Ferret Stephen Harper refused to do, claiming that the residential school system in that province was not under the purview of the national system as NL joined much later. It’s also worth noting that the Innu Nation refused to accept the apology, something is to me indicative of the way indigenous peoples have been treated, and still are.

• scarlett

Yes, I mentioned the agreement that was made with those military members and civil servants who lost their jobs, and also people who were convicted of same-sex relations before homosexuality was decriminalized, legislation was introduced to get their records expunged. I hope things continue and the government keeps taking these types of actions to at least in part make up for some of the horrible things they did.

• TechOnLose
    No apology, I hate those groups I don't hate gays or lesbians but I hate the fact that they act always like people hunt them with forks and torches, wtf is with all those parades why they make a big deal in being gay it's nothing special or important about it, someones sexual life means square shit in today's world. Now if they invent nuclear fusion then we are talking.
    Like 1 Person
    • I agree and I feel like by doing all of this its only separating them more.

• WallA
    I sort of see this the same way I see the BLM rally. I get why people could get worked up over all that, but I don’t understand why I need to apologize for my ancestors being assholes. I haven’t done shit to any of you, so just leave me out of it.
    Like 3 People
    • He's apologising on behalf of what other people have done. It feels really good to have people do this. Normally, the strangers that talk to me based on my sexuality make homophobic comments and tell me horrible stuff. Hearing something like an apology is refreshing. It makes me feel so much better about myself.

• Kiran04
    Yawn, cry baby Tradeu. Apologizing for crimes committed by others is akin to reparations for slavery, to which I'll always say "fuck no". I'll never allow anyone to attempt to hold me accountable for the crimes of others, or approve of anyone attempting to hold someone else accountable for the crimes of others. Tradeu is undermining that principle. What a cuck.
    Like 1 Person
  • Oram52
    I don't think apology was necessary, LGBT faced discrimination absolutely and that needs to be acknowledged. To some extent they still face discrimination. However there was no need for official apology. Also there is NO such thing as Q+.
    Like 1 Person
  • RedThread
    I think it's great. Some people's lives were ruined when people could be fired or criminalized simply for being gay. It's a great step towards moving on from that past.
    LikeDisagree 6 People
  • Show More (62)