Dating Buzzwords Terminology Guide: 11 Dating Trends You Need To Watch Out For

Fitness-Fanatic

Dating Buzzwords And Their Terminology

#Firedoored

Being firedoored means one person provides all of the effort , attention and affection to the other, but it's not reciprocated. Just like an emergency firedoor is one-sided, your relationship is one-side.You give a lot of attention, but receive very little in return. You always reply to their messages,but they rarely respond to yours,and when they do they’re cold towards you. But if they initiate contact ,they’re charming and friendly

#Sneating

Sneating -sneakily cheating their way into eating a free meal ,at your expense . They'll arrange a date just to get free food, .There’s little to no conversation during the date, and they clearly have no interest in getting to know you.

#Stashing

Stashing is when you're dating someone and they hide you away. You'e hidden from every part of their life. They've met your family and friends ,but you never meet any of theirs. Your dates tend to be somewhere where you won't know anyone. They don't acknowledge your existence publicly, or to other people in their life .Your name is never mentioned,and they won't post anything about you on social media.

#Phubbing

Phubbing is formed by two words - phone and snubbing. Phubbing is when someone ignores you ,and pays more attention to their phone than to you. They would rather spend most of their time on their phone than having a conversation with you

#Benching

Benching refers to a person online that leads you on, but they make no effort to see you in real life. Benchers are emotionally unavailable, and date multiple people at once.They go for long periods of time without contacting you,and place you on a "bench"while they're talking to other people.They won't commit or invest in a relationship with you.They seem interested,and want to keep in contact , but they make excuses not to see you in person

#Breadcrumbing

Breadcrumbing is when someone drops you a few breadcrumbs so you don’t lose interest.They do this by sending you suggestive sporadic messages frequently enough to maintain your interest. They ignore you for a week or two, then offer you a glimmer of hope by sending you a sweet message, making you believe there’s a chance of a relationship. They string you along by keeping the conversation alive with the very little effort.But the relationship doesn't actually move forward.

#Haunting

Haunting is when someone ghosts you, but they show up again some time later but in an indirect way.They become like ghosts haunting your life, by watching your Instagram story or liking your Facebook posts,but they don’t get in touch with you directly.

#Cushioning

Cushioning is when someone keeps you around to boost their ego. Or because they’re afraid of being alone. Cushioners don't really care about your needs ,only their own. They usually see other people ,and are only using you as an option in case their other relationships don't work out. You are just someone to fall back on if their other relationships fail,or someone to lean on when they feel lonely

#Lovebombing

Love Bombing is a form of emotional abuse,and love bombers are generally narcissists and sociopaths.Love bombers will move too quickly during the early stages of the relationship. They adore you , and shower you with lots of love and affection to win your over .They tell you they love you ,make promises about the future of your relationship , and make plans to move in with you soon after you meet. As soon as you pull away ,or want to slow down the relationship you see a disturbing different side to their character. They use manipulation and controlling behavior to force you to comply with what they want.

#CatchandRelease

The catch-and-release method is used by people who love the chase.They are very attentive and show lots of interest. As soon as you take the bait by showing interest and getting too attached , they get bored and end the relationship.

#ThirstTrap

A thirst trap is when someone posts a provocative picture of themselves on social media to illicit a response from other people .Their intent is to cause others to publicly profess their attraction, because they are thirsty for attention. They take pleasure from the sexual frustration of those who view their image. One example of the act of thirst trapping is when a person captions an image "i love this new t'shirt " but the photo is zoomed in on their half-naked body.They often respond to some comments by pretending they are not welcomed. But ALL attention feeds their ego

.

31
23

Most Helpful Girl

• Oh yippee, my mom gets “firedoored, stashed, and breadcrumbed” by this guy she's soooo in love with 😒 can't tell her ass nun. Im surprised my boyfriend didn't “phub” me during his visit. Seems like he's often distracted by mobile games during our phone convos. Sadly, i used to be a “bencher”. But now i get “haunted” by some ex potentials. I dont think “cushioning” is always a bad thing. Im not one for cheating but Replacements do come in handy. I really hope my boyfriend isn't a “lovebomber”. He doesn't manipulate me to stay but he does puppydog me. Dammit im do guilty of using the “catch and release” method. Hahaha i dont “thirstrap” that often by pics but all my sexual questions on here are thirstraps 😂🙈
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Guy

• JSmuve
    Damn, who comes up with this stuff? I need to start making up words.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

2230
  • What interesting words we have nowadays.
  • PecanPie
    I really don't like it if my boyfriend is constantly on his phne. I mean ya once in awhile is OK but if we are having dinner or alone time then no put the phone away. And cushioning? Someone keeping you around just to feel good? Those people have some issues that they need to look at. If you're around to male people feel good and that's the only reason then that means this person isn't being true to themselves or what they want.
  • Plumy
    Never heard of them, maybe they already disappeared...
    Interesting words by the way ^^
  • Jamie1865
    Cushioning and Love Bombing have to be the worst IMHO. Thrill of the chase is something I think all guys have done at some point, and you look back and think 'I was a bastard' but quite a few of my female friends have fessed up to it as well - tend to be in the dirty thirties rather than twenties though...
  • DonRomeo
    GHOSTING. Its when a girl doesn't reply to your texts, and is a problem thsts so bad for most men that it should be a political issue.

Originally though, I was going to add 'Mutton'. No definition as yet, but I dig something about that word..

• CHARismatic110
    The only one I've heard of is thirst trap lol. All these other ones are new. Though based off the descriptions they could've been called something else previously. Who knows? This was oddly informational.
  • Halucinator
    Thanks
    I just knew 4 outta these!!
    I wrote about cushioning a few months ago.
    Cushioning: Effects, Defects and Side Effects! ↗
  • Waffles731
    about 'haunted' When did ghosting become a term cause now when I search for paranormal shit on google sometimes things related to this so called ghosting com up occasionally and it annoys the piss out of me
  • DarkerThanGrey
    Sometimes i think people like to cheat, or to make others miserable, sometimes no, sometimes i just dont know.

I dont see a real motivo to some of this trends. But i dont have the right to judge.😉
  • Chanel1981
    I love this! Who knew dating was so freaking complicated these days 😂
  • SirRexington
    This is why I don't bother with online dating. If I meet someone in person out and about, I know what to expect.
  • Iron_Man
    Yeah I had a date like that one time her looking for a free meal and we discussed before the meal that Its not working out and she said what about the food
  • Lynzerilee
    Happy somebody put a name to these behaviours! Thank you.
  • Orangeblossom92
    Great article ! In my past relationships i had the stashing , cushinonig and lovebombing ! I ´ve been in such toxic relationships
  • Commander_Courtney
    Thanks, I’m almost always out of the loop on modern buzzwords. lol
  • GeekyGirl16
    Whoa, I didn’t realize there were so many terms... thanks for the info!
  • BronzedAdonis
  • aaaae2e
    okay... im a bencher and lovebombing. And I have been haunted
  • bellybuttonlint
    I swear... people with no lives just love to make up words and phrases.
  • YoungManTryin
    Oy, frightening! Nice myTake, thanks for the heads up
  • Coconut_Man
    I've never heard about any of these tbh.
    Great Take 😊👍
  • admles
    Actually very informative!

I didn't a know a few of those :)
  • AtomicMizuko
    Interesting English terminology, I knew how to be firedoored too well now I know the word, thanks!
  • Liked your take I actually never new what ghosting was.
  • realistincanada
    y'all fall for the thirst trap too much these days, smh especially on Instagram
  • PrincessPie
    Great interesting My Take :)
  • OlderAndWiser
    Informative, well written, and well illustrated.
  • BuchitaBuchys
    Never heard of these lol
  • fauchelevent
    I hadn't heard of any of these :P
  • Ms_Meaghan
    Learn something new every day. lol
  • DodgersGM
    Gotta love technology!
  • RedRobin
    Interesting take, thanks
  • 2osum4me
    Nice take on this
  • Namkrow
    Don't date, won't have to deal.
  • DanishSaint
    fun take - liked it :-)
  • micheal727jovanie
    Tbh I love this My take so much I want to marry it
  • Cadet_Cora
    Interesting read.
  • bubble_tea
    Wow, do people really use those buzzwords?
  • Safa_Malfoy
    I've only heard of phubbing
  • Sadly I can relate to all.
  • quint123
    Cool
  • MichaelN1991
    I'll keep these in mind.
  • kimberleylove
    Nice take... thanks for info
  • JamestheKorean
    Good mytake!
  • clampfan101
    This is why online relationships typically fail.
  • COCOCHANEL
    neat
  • DiegoO
    Awesome. That's valueble information.
  • fredrick89
    I'll read this later, but thanks
  • red_knight
    Thank YOU for this information