After over 100 years, Jack The Ripper's identity might finally be confirmed. Are you glad or would you prefer that it continued to remain a mystery?

The identity of Jack the Ripper, the notorious serial killer from the late 1800s in England, may finally be known.

A DNA forensic investigation published this month by two British researchers in the Journal of Forensic Science identifies Aaron Kosminski, a 23-year-old Polish barber and prime suspect at the time, as the likely killer.

Are you glad this cold case is finally over or would you prefer that it continued to remain a mystery?

522
DeeDeeDeVour is a GirlsAskGuys Influencer
Who are Influencers?

Most Helpful Guys

• Personally, if it's solved, that would be interesting to me... but if there is definite proof, this case is going to gradually fade away, and it's been the basis for so much interesting speculation, I think that would kind of be a shame.

• This was kind of cool to find out but they also say on the news that it is not 100 percent for sure. But it is fun to still have it be a mystery though

Join the discussion

520
  • Highly doubtful that, that is the identity of Jack the Ripper.

For one Jack the Ripper had medical training and surgeon experience the cuts he made while brutal were far to precise to belong to someone untrained.

• Good point, but... I'm not entirely convinced that this excludes Kosminski...

This long predates Kosminski in western Europe and Britain - but he was from Poland... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barber_surgeon

I could well believe that most people in nineteenth century Poland wouldn't have had access to proper doctors, and that this kind of thing may have lingered on there, until the nineteenth century. So whilst he didn't have any medical qualifications, he might not have been as unfamiliar as a modern barber, with the workings of human anatomy...

This is just my guess, btw!

• I've read a little more about Kosminski today, and I must say, I'm coming round to your point of view, that he doesn't feel an especially likely candidate.

• @JimRSmith Lol yeah when you really do your research on Jack the Ripper you can start to see the cracks in the Kosmiski theory.

• Even though it is a 100+ years mystery, I am glad DNA has helped resolve it. I think, as time goes by, we will be seeing many more 20-40 year old crimes solved by DNA.

• I would have to look into this myself because I'm pretty sceptical of that even being possible. I dont think it really matters though

• Probably a cover up. I doubt a barber would have the skill to do what he did, and DNA could be planted. I like the movie from hell. That seems probable, kominski could have killed some of the other possible victims, but they talk about a canonical five. 2 were known prostitutes, the other three may have still performed sexual favours for cash, it was common for single impoverished women of the time, to live on the fringes of moral society just to servive.

• Where did they get the DNA from? I can see where they might be able to estimate his from the DNA of the descendants of relatives, but where did they get the samples of the killers' DNA? It's not like they tested for it in the 19th century.

• It's gpod when a mystery is solved though it has no practical effects on our lives today.

• If feminists do not stop their crazy riots and the society still listens to them and oppress men, than many jack the rippers will be born.

• He was doing a public service, taking old whores off the streets.

Look at the pictures of his victims: YUCK! Getting slashed and ripped was an improvement for them.

• Even if the DNA evidence was accurate, it is quite unlikely that Kosminski was the killer.
    He was described as a bulimic schizophrenic who didn't eat or wash himself, couldn't really speak English and was dependent on family support only to be later admitted to asylum entire years after the killings have already ended where he was described as completely harmless by the staff.
    That just doesn't sound like someone who would have the ability to lure prostitutes into compromising situations in dark alleys during times in which it was notoriously unsafe to do so.

I personally gravitate towards the scenario that the killer was a sadistic middle/upper class man with religious mania.
    The three linked victims were all prostitutes who had their abdomen mutilated and uterus removed, but were not sexually assaulted otherwise.
    That's a clear motive of someone who probably didn't like prostitutes very much, and that kind of MO doesn't match Kosminski's at all.

• Isn't the Scotland yard case files still closed supposedly because of a royal connection?

• Doubt they'll never know who it was for certain now. It's like The Zodiac Killer, it was too long ago by now, they exceeded the time limit

• The mystery of someone murdered yesterday remains because investigators were busy solving a century old crime

• I like to see mysteries get solved. Who wants an eternal mystery?

• Makes little difference now, London has more Jack the Rippers now than normal people.

• I like the "picaso did it" theory, it's kinda spooky.

• We all know it was Glen Quagmire

• I’m glad it’s over.

• I thought the barber had been debunked?

• Good, now I can get some good sleep!

• about effin time,

• Good take

• That isn't news, it was known years ago lol

• So it was aliens!

• I don't give a shit.

• no one cares anymore