How Coronavirus Began and How You Can Stem the Tide of Infection

This is not an opinion myTake. I want only to provide important information.

I highly recommend these two excellent videos from Vox, my favourite informational and news journalism site, which parses down complex issues into more digestible chunks. Their use of multimedia is also very compelling.

Why new diseases keep appearing in China:

The importance of social distancing and how we can limit the spread:

About Vox:

"We live in a world of too much information and too little context. Too much noise and too little insight. And so Vox's journalists candidly shepherd audiences through politics and policy, business and pop culture, food, science, and everything else that matters. You can find our work wherever you live on the internet — Facebook, YouTube, email, iTunes, Instagram, and more.

Vox was launched at Vox Media in 2014 by founders Ezra Klein, Melissa Bell, and Matthew Yglesias."

https://www.vox.com/pages/about-us

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLXo7UDZvByw2ixzpQCufnA

11
5

Most Helpful Guy

• AllThatSweetJazz
    We’re neglecting that China’s only biosafety level 4 facility where they were researching things like this is right across the street from the wet market in Wuhan.

Hmmmmm... 🤔
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Girl

• DeeDeeDeVour
    China's Dictum: Legalize what should have been & must stay illegal was their answer to hunger & poverty and then reap the rewards of a growing industry.
    Is this still revelant?
    • ... a growing *dangerous industry.

• Exaaaactly.

• @AmandaYVR: Thank you for the MHGirl pick. :)

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

410
  • DWornock
    This minor virus is no big deal. Less than 1% of the people infected die and they are mostly over 70 and have other health issues. Very few young people did from the virus and many are not even affected. If everyone in the world is infected, at most 60 million people would die. That many died in 1918 from the Spanish flu when there was only one fourth as many people in the world and world recovered without any lasting problems.

If everyone is infected, those that don't die will have a lifetime immunity and those that die wouldn't have live much longer anyway since they are almost all over 70 and mostly over 80 and in poor health. Besides, if they die, it is good for the economy since they are past their productive years, have no real value, and are a drain on the economy.

It would be better if the government took steps to infect everyone because that would eliminate several million worthless old people and then we could forget about it since everyone would have lifetime immunity.
    • You’re showing an extreme disregard for the elderly here, but let me put that aside for a moment. There are two things you are saying here which are factually untrue.

There is no evidence that catching the virus once creates immunity. I just saw this discussed a couple of days ago. It was a doctor who reluctantly admitted it.

There are thousands of people who are dying and in intensive care as we speak. I saw the numbers (guesstimates) about potential death stats, but the numbers are changing almost hourly. The first people to be hit are the weakest, yes, but it doesn’t stop there. It’s a fire, with gasoline. They don’t go around calling things epidemics for nothing.

And back to the old people - you’ll be one of them one day. Or they’ll be your parent or grandparent or friend. I doubt you’ll be so brazen when it’s you gasping for air, wishing for a ventilator that doesn’t exist.

• DWornock

First, very few people want to die, even if they are old. However, old people have very little if any value and they have lived longer than their ancestors in the Stone Age or even 200 years ago. And, their earlier deaths didn't prevent the human race from expanding.

However, you are correct. There is no consensus that catching the virus gives lifetime immunity. It does per www.lewrockwell.com/.../

However, most other sites state that it may only give short-time protection but that subsequent infection will not be as severe.

Regardless, it is already in almost every country and it is contagious enough that within a short time and certainly within a few years most people will have been exposed to it.

• Agamogenesis
    Thanks yeah I appreciate this information. Bats are especially potent incubators for viruses that can affect humans. Normally this wouldn't be a problem but with rapid industrialization and development humans encroach into bat's native territories. This is why China is a particularly bad spot for diseases because it's close to bats and it tries to develop itself over aggressively which leads to push-back from nature.

Also coupled with the fact that there's severe lack of regulation in public health and animal rights so really a number of things coalesce to make a virus historically happen more in China.

It sucks because it comes from a country I consider to be my motherland but at the same time does all of these shameful things. However, it's not like I individually bought pangolins or played with bats. I actually don't even like eating pigs because I think they're gross animals. So I don't think it's fair to blame all Chinese people equally since they're each an individual.

Also the virus only emerged in Wuhan not ALL of China. So even though it came from China I think pointing fingers and hurling insults doesn't get a lot done. Public health regulations need to be upgraded in China as well as making peace with nature and not aggressively over developing. At the same time the rest of the world can learn from how China dealt with the epidemic so that they can also deal with it adequately and responsibly.

I think a fact based balanced look is what we could all do with right now. Thank you.
  • MORPHEUS_12
    Pangolins are the likely culprit of COVID-19.
  • October808
    These are my go to sources, independnt from media or popularity trends:https://www.youtube.com/embed/efaDuE-XEi4https://www.youtube.com/embed/EuWo5lmWuZI
  • lailison
    This is really good! Especially since not many people know this information and spread false rumors which creates even more panic across nations.
  • Shamalien
    ... I hope everyone watching Vox has done their research into the affiliations of that channel and understands the conflict of interest when it comes to presenting truthful information in regards to communist china
    • If you have actual proof, spill it.

• Shamalien

I can tell your a huge fan, so I'd rather not get into a source war with you. If you are open minded and wish to research criticisms of vox, there are plenty well formulated arguments out there, google is your friend.

• sersss
    consider it a flu, isolate ALL people in risk groups, get sick, get well - move on
  • Lliam
    I view Vox critically, just as I do all information sites. The fact that Vox presentations are slickly produced is a red flag. Where does their funding come from?
    The way they present things is as if they have researched them conclusively are now explaining them in a way that the layman can understand. It's the same way that mainstream media has actors speaking authoritatively with the 'impression' of "fair and balanced" objectivity, professionalism and inside knowledge. No hint of other points of view or controversies surrounding the subject. No upsetting the apple cart. "There's nothing else to see here, folks."

The problem is, I've seen Vox presentations that I know for 100% fact were misleading.

These that you posted about Covid-19 contain good info. That may be all there is to it. But I'm skeptical.
  • Daniel_Dano
    Corona virus is man made , either the US government is responsible or Chinese themselves accidentally.
  • Gsm24diecast
    Noticed that the Hong Kong protests and other protests in China are gone? You connect the dots.
  • Games_
    I heard bats with wings taste like chicken
  • Ninjazzed
    We should have nuked China ages ago lmaooo
  • COMMODOREII
    The social bug. 😉
  • Nooooovaaaaa
    Sounds like you know a lot about China.