You Don't Need a Parade Because You're Single On Valentine's Day

I've never really understood the reasoning behind people throwing these elaborate parties to help them "celebrate" being single on Valentine's Day or any other day. Why do you need that or someone to tell you that "you need to love yourself." You aren't broken. There is nothing wrong with you that needs some type of elaborate celebration to try to salve over what ails you.

Being single is not a disease that needs a cure. It is simply either the interim between dating someone new, or a choice you make, or the reality of not being coupled with someone indefinitely. You do not need to prove to anyone that you are still worthy of love or living or whatever these ads, and single power videos tell you.

I think people also seem to forget in general, that just because someone is in a relationship, it doesn't mean they are automatically happy in the same way, someone being single, doesn't mean, now that they are single, their lives are going to be amazing. Happiness and loving yourself is a state of mind. You either are or you aren't.

If you aren't happy either in a relationship or by plastering the walls with "I love me stickers," or throwing yourself some "singles are great party," these things are not going to fix how you feel about yourself and make everything right in the world. The same thing goes for those that hop into their next relationship thinking that it's going to fix everything that was broken with their last. Someone else can't do that for you, if you don't already recognize your part in all of that, and work on yourself and being someone who is truly ready to start something new.

1625

Most Helpful Guy

• yea i agree, v-day is dumb, and single folks tend to go heavy on the "woe-is-me".

To me, though, its great. Because it helps identify the people who want to be in a relationship just to be in a relationship, instead of who are looking to connect with a type of person they'd actually get along with. Helps weed out the people i should stay away from.

Most Helpful Girl

• Sure, there's nothing wrong with being single. There's also nothing wrong with going out with friends or meeting new people if that's what makes happy. Or you could just stay home if that's what makes you happy. Your choice :)

Join the discussion

1524
  • I think the underlying issue is being single but not by choice, and I can understand those who are frustrated about it. Being single in and of itself is not a problem. I think a distraction of some sort is the best way to handle Valentine's Day rather than focusing on your singleness.

• I think a single's party is a fun idea because some people still wanna go out and have fun for Valentine's Day even if they don't have a significant other. Throwing yourself a personal party or lavishing yourself with roses and candy for social media however, is distasteful.

• I have to say, all this whining and whimpering about V-day is irritating. It's like --- too many women have been sold this romanticized bill of goods for a made-up holiday. Ladies - I have some news: you don't "deserve" to be taken out for dinner, or given flowers, or catered to, or made to feel special, or treated ESPECIALLY nice on V-day. No, you don't deserve one bit. You deserve it all the time, every day, in some shape or form! So let's ease up on this V-day stuff, please ! :)

• What if you're 30 and have never even had the option of whether or not you want to celebrate val day because guess what? You never had a boyfriend!!! Single for 30 years!!! Now if I don't have a disease, then someone tell me why that happens.

• www.thesun.co.uk/.../zoe.gif

I have my boyfriend but maybe we can't meet...
    I'd like to have normally fun with my friends without them reminding me of my relationship asking why he isn't here with me, my close friends understand it because we talk about it and they know me and him live quite far so probably I'm going to meet just them and have party together (not for singles) just for fun!

• I think it's a cute idea. Being single on a day when you're supposed to be coupled up can be lonely, so I'm all for people making it into a happy occasion for them.

• This is actually a new social problem. It didn't use to be like this in recent history. You actually congratulated people who had relationships and felt hope because you knew it was eventual.

Now everyone is a special snowflake and so entitled they speak of girlfriends and boyfriends like they are objects you can buy. "How do I get one?" suggests complete disdain.

• It is better to be single on Valentine's Day so you don't have to waste money just get a girl in March lol

• Okay so I’ve seen several studies showing that people still feel somewhat negatively about being single. It’s treated like an issue to be fixed, especially if you’re a woman. An example? Men are more likely to get promoted at work when they’re married apparently - a few of my male friends told me this about their companies.

Why shouldn’t people celebrate being single? Especially when being coupled with someone makes people feel more important or seen? Single folks have every right to make each other feel loved and special, especially on days like V Day and major holidays when we feel lonelier.

I don't know coming from someone who has been single for long stretches of time, I understand the need to remind yourself that being single isn’t a bad thing.

• Because some people are broken and this hallmark ass holiday brings out the worse in them for some reason.

• My thoughts exactly, why put so much pressure on yourself to have fun on your own. Just treat it like any other boring and uneventful day.

• Some people who aren’t single feel like they need one. Unfortunately, not all relationships end up happy...

• cmon i guess we should end topic like this all right we're single so what now are you people going to humiliate us for being that? , be single be happy does not work every time , god wasn't on weed he created male and female for a reason lol , and yea when the right time comes , everyone gets someone , and when someone leaves you and if you had deep contact with them you still love them and you remain single and always think about it, nothing is wrong in that !!, there maybe guys who move on within 2-3 days , but there are many people around who only loved on women , and its worthless to find just anyone just to be with someone , and trust me real love happens once in a decade , but you can chase lust every other day , there's a big difference between both

• Maybe it makes people feel better who experienced a bad relationship.

• You are either wise to the point of obscurity, or you make very little sense. Which would you say is true of yourself? Also, your grammar is poor.

• C'mon what have you got against run-on sentences?

• @zagor I tried to install it on my computer and it just kept saying I hate you and refuse to let you install me

• Yes they do! Otherwise, their stunted little feelings would get all butthurt.

• You don't need to parade you're in a relationship on Valentine's day either.

• Oh yeah right, keep the attention to those who already have enough...

• True

• Ok, ok ok

• But I love parades!! lol

• Nice

• I need a naked girl.

• Bueno

• I agree. Nice take!

• I need a parade

• Very true

• Nice take

• I say it depends on who you are. But I agree

• can i have one anyway?

• Yes yes

• Thank you

• Nice Take

• While I get what you're saying, your first comparison is illogical. Do you throw a party when you have a disease or you're broken? No? Right, so wrong comparison.
    They're throwing them to celebrate their being single, not to celebrate their supposed in-pain or broken hearts.

Otherwise, yes, I get it.

• I guess that's true

• Because singleness is a celebration in it self 🏀, no stress just swishing effortlessly through life's hurdles

• great take thanks.

• Even if you got a parade you might still get rain on that parade.

• Too many myTakes about Valentine's Day. People are overreacting. You don't have to make every bit of information public. If you're going to the most expensive restaurant in the country, no need to brag about it. If you're watching Netflix alone, no need to spit it out. If you feel bad about someone being single, no need to comfort them. Just keep it to yourself or between someone close. It's a normal day of the year. So treat it like a normal day.