Has anyone been in a real life Romeo and Juliet situation?

Not the suicide, but with your family HATING the person you were dating and never accepting them. Maybe even forbidding you to date them.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes. I'm engaged to her now. We've never been happier.

What Guys Said 3

• My wifes parents were totally against me from the start. They would tell her I was just using her or I wasn't trust worthy. They told her I was out to ruin her and many other things. They didn't think we were going to last until we had been married for about 10 years. Now we have been married and happy for about 20 years and I think they have finally decided I am in it for the long run.

• Yes twice. I've been in two serious relationships where that has occurred. I was with an Indian girl whose family was racist and hated me with a passion. And after that I was with a woman from El Salvador who also hated me. I don't think they hated me because I was white, but they were an extremely rich family and I didn't make much money at the time. So yeah...

• What happened in both relationships?

• The first woman moved away and as much as i cared about her, i wasn't ready to move at the time or ready to live on a reservation so yeah. we just went our separate ways. as for the second woman, she was really cool but she didn't understand what it was like working a full time job and then some. towards the end of that relationship she started partying really hard. now don't get me wrong, I'm always down to chill with friends and kick back a few but she got into some heavy drugs and started hurting herself, no matter what i did she seemed to push me further and further away so i finally broke up with.

The first got back with her ex after she and i broke up. they have two kids somewhere in colorado. and the second one was raped (so she says, but ill give her benefit of the doubt) at a party a few months after i left her. She got her shit together and now works at toys r us to support hers daughter and just recently moved in with her new boyfriend.

• That sounds like a typically muslim thing. They even murder the guy sometimes just because they don't like him. Or their own daughter because they don't like his boyfriend. Or both.

I don't like the people whom my parents wouldn't like, so I never had that issue.

• So do hindus, jews, christians and atheists. What's your point?

• @cheeseburgermafia

• I still haven't actually -met- anyone who believes in Sharia Law. So at the very least, it isn't every Muslim. What I would suspect is that it's not a popular idea in western Islam, as I'm told. What I read seems to agree with this, but you can't believe everything you read can you?

Honor killings are part of Sharia Law, not Islam itself. It's like how Zionism isn't core to Judaism, being a vegan isn't core to Buddhism, and desiring a monarchy isn't core to Christianity. Except that last one actually is true.

What Girls Said 8

• Yeah... I guess I'm in one right now... at least that's what people have told me. I learned from "Romeo and Juliet" though... so I have been hiding my BF from my family for over two years. We want to get married this year so I have to tell them soon.

I am mostly Lebanese (my dad is an immigrant)... and my BF is half Jewish... but because his mom is Jewish he's considered full (I mean ethnically Jewish because he doesn't practice). Lebanese people and Jews don't tend to get along so well... Jews from Israel took a bunch of my dad's land in Lebanon... so he especially doesn't.

I already know they will forbid me to see him if I tell them, especially because in my parents are Muslim and dating isn't allowed anyways, even though I'm 30 years old.

But I'd definitely rather die then continue living with my parents and live how they want because I don't agree with hit. I'd choose him over my parents any day of the week.

• Yepppp >.<
    We couldnt ever see each other so we pree much secretly skyped each other every single night and still Skype every night till today ahha :) he's still my best friend right now but we're not dating, he was probs the best guy I've ever dated so far tbh :)

• How did you become friends instead of boyfriend and girlfriend? Was it hard?

• narh it wasn't hard, we were so close and comfortable with each other and we know like everything about each other so it just made it easy :) skyping and talking everyday helped a lot :)

• Yes, my parents used to hate my boyfriend and I being together but they've learnt to accept it and are happy if I'm happy. However, my older sister hates him for what appears to be no reason whatsoever. She always calls us 'dirty' and 'ruined by society'--no clue why. We love each other though and my parents have said that we should ignore her and enjoy our relationship. At the end of the day, a relationship involves two people who are in love with one another, no one else should matter.

• My parents hate every guy i like :/
    been deeply in love with a guy once, didn't even introduce him to my parents, and they already disliked him :P

• How do you deal with that? Its the worst thing!

• tried to make sure my parents didn't find out :)

• Yeah that's sorta what's happening with my boyfriend and I now haha but we've

• Yes, I'm Dealing with the situation right now and it is not going well :/

• Well sort of but nothing too extreme. My parents simply didn't like my first and only bf back then. And guess what? They were right the whole time.

I guess my story does have a happy ending after all but just a different one. It saved me from wasting more time and possibly experiencing a failed marriage if it were to come to that.

• Yup. For four years we sneaked around because both our parents were against it. Then they finally gave up and here we are, 3 years later, going to get married.