What was your longest relationship and why did it end?

Was it because he/she cheated on you?
Was it because of long distance?
Tell me. :)

• 1 week - 3 weeks
  • Month - 6 months
  • 6 Months - Year
  • 2 Years
  • 3+ Years
Wow, thank you so much people for your answers! I love them all! I'm sorry for your losses and even the ones that just didn't work out. I find it very hard to keep the relationship going.

Most Helpful Guy

• Longest is still going at 10+ years.
    I have had others that were 3+ though, that did end, obviously.

One 3+ ended because the girl insisted she wasn't good enough for me. She thought that because she already had kids, and didn't want any more, that I deserved somebody that could give me a family. Ironically she ended up having another kid accidentally about 8 years later, lol. Still good friends with her.

Another 3+ had us actually living together. It mostly ended because we realized we were awesome friends, awesome lovers, and awesome drinking buddies, but that we would make a terrible married couple. We just liked things to be too different. Wouldn't of ever known if we hadn't lived together first though, so we dodged a huge bullet there. Still good friends with her, too.

None ended because of cheating. None ended because of distance. Most were because of long-term incompatibility issues. Two died, one in a car accident because the driver was stoned, and one from cancer.

What Guys Said 11

• 18 years. It ended because of a combination of things that can't easily be defined. We couldn't even define it ourselves. But we knew for the last several years that the relationship was over. We were more like room mates than a couple. It just took us a long time to accept that. It was time to move on because we were both holding each other back from getting on with our lives. We continued being good friends and saw each other fairly regularly, but no longer as a couple.

Second longest is three years. After that it is measured in months or weeks.

• 5 years and it ended because we lost feelings for each other/lost interest in each other. Ended in good terms but then I fucked that up when I found out that she broke a promise while dating me and bitched her out. So its done for good.

• About fifteen years, fourteen of which were spent married. It ended because she died.

• 1 year found another guy

• My longest relationship is 0 seconds.
    Nothing's happened yet.

• 5 months.

It ended because both of us suck at relationships.

• 18 years still strong. My hand and I are very happy together.

• 9 months and it's on going : )

• 3 1/2 years and she screwed her boss and told me when I proposed to her. No... I'm not bitter. Actually, we are friends now. It was a sign we were not made for each other. And the girl I married has been my love for 25 years. (yes I am old).

• 11 months and I banged her once with 2 of my friends , we all were drunk , ended.

• 1 - 2 years but no option for that

What Girls Said 5