Why do so many women instantly dismiss short men?

It happens a lot and I am curious as to why. I get that height is an attractive quality but if a guy is short does that make you not interested instantly? A lot of the time I am not seen as a potential boyfriend (at all) simply because I am short. Is it honestly that much of a turn off? Even if the guy has other attractive qualities?

Is this function accurate?
if (height < 5'6) {
addFriend ();
}
else {
considerOtherTraits ();
}

• Yes, accurate
  • No
I'm 5'4 by the way.

Most Helpful Girl

• For me, personally, short people are seen as young.

I'm 5'4 (short) and I am mistaken for being in 3rd grade on pretty much a daily basis.

In my area the typical adult female is 5'10 and the typical adult male is 6'3. 95% of the time, if someone is not at least 6'0 people assume them to be children.

I'm short too. I get mistaken for a child all the time. Most recently a woman assumed I was all of 10 years old.

Despite also being short, however, I too fall victim to the thought that short people are children. Basically you have to be careful because as I said, the average 3rd grader is my height. The average 15 year old is 5'10. The average 20 year old is 6'3. The taller they are the more likely they're of age to be flirted with.

And you would think that if a person were busty and curvy (as a girl) or producing facial hair and muscle tone (as a guy) you would think they were older even if they were short... but nope.

So I avoid shorter guys because my entire life has taught me that they're really young. I'm slowly trying to change my views because I moved away to college and oh good Lordy I did not realize that grown men came any shorter than 5'10. But they're all over the place lol

Add to that I feel like I'm going to break a guy if we hug and he's my height. Feels awkward.

So... yeah. That's that.

• Add to that this story: My boyfriend is 6'5. A few weeks ago he was mistaken for a 13 year old. Because the lady has a 7'2 13 year old nephew. So obviously there's a chance that my boyfriend could be 13 as well :p

• Where are you from? A land of Giants?

• Ha yeah sometimes I think so. I think only the tallest Dutch settlers settled my hometown and then only the tallest of them reproduced. :) Annnnd then there's me. I'm a freak of nature being so short.

What Girls Said 9

• I totally just read your question as "Why do so many women instantly dismiss door men?"

I clearly did not get enough sleep... thought this question was going to be about hotel door men.

.__________.

• Some women feel insecure when they are taller than their dates. I think sometimes it may even be a subconscious thing - "a taller man can protect me," type thing. The right woman for you won't care how tall you are... which doesn't help until you find her, but hang in there! All you can do is be yourself and you will find a good match.

• Most of the time I am rejected before I even get a chance. It's not very fun.

• Dating is tough, sorry to hear you're having issues with this. She is out there, don't give up!

• Well guys dismiss short women as well... I have and will never really understand what magic tall people have short people don't.

• No they don't

• Some guys might. I never did. Short is a turn-on for me (I'm 5'8").

• I can't speak for other women but I know I prefer tall men because I like to feel little, protected, and safe with my man. I do not date men that can wear my clothes or are my same height, they have to be at least a head taller thn I am.
    Of course if I got to know someone and felt an undeniable connection I wouldn't ignore it. However when I am on dating sites or looking while out with friends, the height is definitely a concern for me.

• i don't know i prefer short to average

• I can't date a guy shorter than 5'9" because I'm 5'8". I don't know about other girls but height for me is a big factor maybe because I'm tall. And nothing makes me hornier than a 6 foot guy in a suit damn 😍😍

• I'm only 5'5 so I'm not too talk myself. But I don't have a problem with a guy being like maybe an inch shorter than me. Id prefer a taller guy because that's my comfort zone but I wouldn't automatically dismiss a guy if he were shorter. It would have to be a drastic height difference and for me I wouldn't want to have to bend or squat to kiss my boyfriend it would be awkward for me. I'm just being honest.

• Women are genetically hardwired to look for a man who is able to protect them and in general that means he'll be much taller than Her and much stronger.

However, it's all about proportions- if the girl is say 5'0, then 5'6 feels like it's pretty tall to her.

Also, I come from a family of primarily shorter men with short legs (my dad and brother are both around 5'7-5'8) and all my life I've noticed I really want a man to be at least 6 feet. I think that's because I know if I was to have kids with a shorter man they would end up having short legs and being quite small like I am. Keep in mind im somewhere around 5'4.

I wouldn't worry, there's a lot of girls out there who would be perfectly fine with a guy who's around 5'6. It's all about preferences. One of my best friends is taller than I am and has dated guys who are shorter than her even.

I know how you feel, I have small boobs and sometimes I feel like I get automatically dismissed too because of that, but you have to remember that no body is "perfect" the way society wars them to be. Everyone has something that makes them go "this is so unfair!" Even if they don't admit to it. You will definitely find someone who's into you.

• Lol you think tall men are stronger? You've got a lot to learn.

• That's not what I said... I said in general. Which is true. A guy who is a foot taller than me is going to be stronger than me because he carries more weight. Which means he can protect me from people who are stronger than me. That's why biologically women are attracted to tall men.

• Actually height is usually inherited from the mothers genes so marrying a taller man does not mean you will have talk kids. Actually short men who marry taller women have more of a chance at having tall kids

• NOT TRUE! I wish I had a short guy like me. Then I wouldn't feel like I'm hanging out with my dad

What Guys Said 6

• I don't think women dismiss short men pet se... I think they just kinda, look over them :D

• If you're short, get fit. Women want to see masculinity on men. Height is one of them.

• This.

Also, seriously consider elevator shoes to add an inch or two of height. Not just for dating, but because it will make a huge difference *professionally*. Taller men earn more!!

• 5'4" is not etremely short dude

• You should stay away from dating sites then because if your profile doesn't say you are a millionaire you won't get anywhere.

• Your premise is wrong, but you will never accept that. You're one of those "5 foot 3 and 3 quarters" guys. The ones who obsess over the 3/4. They think every single tiny bit of height is super important. And they are wrong, and idiots because they will never learn how utterly wrong they are.

• I think they like the feeling of being protected with a taller guy standing by their side but if she loves you she won't care. I once saw this taller girl with a shorter guy and they looked pretty happy together