What does it mean when a guy says I don't deserve you?

i really like this guy and I compliment him often.

Most Helpful Guy

• its usually a good thing, he's paying you a big compliment.

not very often, but it may happen, a guy can use it as a nice way to stop seeing you, it really depends how the phrase, "I don't deserve you" is said, in context.

• Hmmm... Interesting...

• But in the case of "(GO and) You find someone better than me.." women are pretty clever to get that hint. with " I don't deserve you?" its some miscommunication possible dont you think?

• @MitGlied I guess it depends on the girl, but "I don't deserve you" actually does sound like self-pity, as opposed to, "Go find someone better."

Most Helpful Girl

• I assume he lost his marbles. Or he playing some kinda of game. But it just him trying to be nice.

What Guys Said 14

• It's probably different for everyone who says that. But --- in my experience I had 2 girls I dated tell me that and they ended up dumping me.

• it's one of the oldes excuses in the book to say I don't wanna be with using a compliment

• I would usually say it is a compliment, but it is a self deprecating one, and it usually bears some truth. In my experience, the guys who say stuff like that, they mean it, even if they don't realize it.

• umm is he complimentign you back or just saying he doesn't deserve you when you compliment him? its possible he's trying not to lead you on too much but wants to keep you on the hook. I don't know dont have enough background but it could also be taken as a compiment like andy said below

• Means that he feels lucky to have you.

• Well it means that he thinks the highest of you. If he says that then he really likes you. Ask him out and show him that he deserves you. Good luck!

• You really want to know?

• Sorry, of course you do. Well... He is happy to have you in his life. He feels somtimes insecure. He is afraid to loose you because he feels inferior to you. If he says that he wants to hear: "Of course you deserve me. I love you / I really like you / Its great to be with you". on a second level its a trust issue. He wants to be assured (insecure) that he can trust you. Maybe he is a little bit of a attention whore. :) If you think he deservse you (do you?) then say so... keep up the affirmations and in some weeks he knows that you deserve each other. .. Happy end :)

• It means that we don't like ourselves and don't want you to go through the pain. I would say that to Melanie but I like her to much. I'll try, I'll probably fail

• It means he likes you, but he has no pride.

• It's a good thing. Until he says that and follows it up with NO SERIOUSLY, BEAT IT you're fine.

• Maybe he's an addict or alcoholic and doesn't think he deserves any relationship but himself

• he doesn't like u but try to reject kindly

• It's like killing someone by feeding them excess delicious cake. Stay away from him.

• I used to say that all the time as just a term of love. Saying I don't deserve you in my eyes is saying how lucky you feel to have that person in your life. Although he could always mean it literally and feels like he doesn't deserve someone like you because of his past or belief in himself. But I really really doubt that haha. You shouldn't worry. Help me?

What Girls Said 6

• It's hard to say without knowing more about how he acts around you in other situations. Do you think he likes you? In my experience, when a guy says that, it means that he likes you a lot as a friend/person... but is not really interested in you romantically. He is trying to let you down gently. However, this is only my experience so far and if you think that he does like you, he may also be saying it to show you he thinks highly of you.

• He doesn't think he's good enough for you because he's insecure.

• i have no idea what a guy means when he says that.

• Most likely he does not take compliments well so that's all he can say.

• It can have 2 interpretations. What's the context?

• It means he is a jerk and he is trying to say he does not want a relationship because he cheats