Would you ever befriend and/or date someone with Tourette's Syndrome?

Tourette's Syndrome: A neurological disorder characterized by involuntary tics and vocalizations and often the compulsive utterance of obscenities.

My physical tics are worse than my vocal ones. I often twitch my head, upper body, and hands. Sometimes I have really bad ones where I have to spin after every three steps, but those thankfully don't stick around very long.

There is a medication that lessens the frequency of the tics (doesn't rid them completely), but the weight gain associated with this medication is excessive to the point where it's not worth it.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, friends of mind act like they have tourette's, but they are medically perfectly fine. It's just like if you would be friends with someone that has a speech impediment or something. It's just something you were born with and can't really get rid of easily. I guess I would be embarrassed at first or unsure because I haven't met anyone with tourettes before. My wife's family have people with mild forms of Autism, which is pretty difficult as well to deal with. But they are really cool and really smart and can still function in social aspects surprisingly. So It's all about understanding what you have and then once that's out of the way, it's seeing if you are a cool person to hang out with or that we don't get along because we are too different people and our personalities don't mesh. But I wouldn't let a (for lack of a better word) disability of any kind or level change my relationship with a person or determine my relationship with a person. Besides, you seem like a pretty cool chick and by your pics you have, it doesn't seem like it's set you back much either.

What Guys Said 9

• To judge someone because of one minor flaw is wrong. I have never know someone with Tourette's Syndrome. I do have friends and family with Schizophrenia, Biopolar disorder, and OCD to name a few. Though actions of my friends are a bother to some, to me its what makes them unique. I see no reason not to befriend or date someone with Tourette's.

• It wouldn't be a big deal to me.

I could easily befriend or date somebody with tourette's, or any other disorder.

• Yeah, why not, if I liked her personality.

So you often swear for no reason?

• Sure, I wouldn't mind. Can't help a neurological thing like that.

• Oh. That... seems pretty irrational, but whatever floats your boat.

• Yeah, Like I actually own one. -_-

(I am still trying to annoy you...i hope one day I suceed lol)

• I don't think I would care. As long as you don't have some weird tic that makes you want to hit me or insult me. lol

• Hi everyone. I'm chris. How is everyone

• I don't why not

• Sure we can be friends, why not.

• I wouldn't want a relationship, with all due respect I don't think I would be the type of person that could be able to deal with that.

But a friend? sure

What Girls Said 15

• Not an issue at all, lol. In high school I befriended this new guy, and he had Tourette's. Mainly facial tics, but definitely noticeable. I had a huuuuge crush on him. =D

• Sure, I'd befriend someone with Tourette's Syndrome. At first, it might seem a little different to me, or just like another person's mannerisms to get used to. I haven't had experience with this, but it should be fine. Huh, the medication involves weight gain. Weird how pills work.

I thought of this:

link

It's the opening night to their restaurant. The chef has Tourette's. It's a show. So, I think it's exagerated and comedic.

:)

• Oh wow, I never knew you had that. O: But yeah, I don't think a little physical tic would bother me enough to ever consider not dating someone,and I'd definitely be able to befriend someone who had it.

• I wouldn't have a problem having a friend or a boyfriend who has tourettes. I don't know exactly why people would find that as a issue because it's a common thing nowadays. Did you have anyone judge you for having tourettes? :o

• Yeah, I was teased often and it was difficult to make friends when I was younger.

• That's not right. I'm hoping people still don't judge you often. People can be so shallow. :l

By the way, you look exactly like my old best friend from elementary school, her name is Ashley.

• yea you are human nothing wrong with it

• of course. one of my close friends in high school had Tourette's. didn't change the fact that he was awesome :)

• Yes I would be friends with someone with Tourette's. I chose my friends based on who they are and not what they may or may not have.

• I would definitely be friends with someone like that. There is nothing wrong with that.

• Of course I would that wouldn't bother me at all.

• I wouldn't mind one bit. Theyre still human, there isn't anything wrong with having Touette's. I choose my friends on how they are and their personalities, not about what they have or lack.

• I have many friends with tourette's. And a nephew. No prob for me.

• Doesn't Matter...

And OMGEEEE I didn't know you had tourette's ...you are f***ing awesome.

• I would be your friend. No problem.

• Yes i would date someone with tourettes. My boyfriend has tourettes. He doesn't talk about it so i dont ask about it. But he has facial and hand tics. And he does swear quite a bit.

• As a fellow Tourettie, it's nice to meet someone who understands. Less than 10% of us with it even have that symptom, if you've seen the research. It's just glorified by the media. That's why I don't tell many people. Most of the people who do have that rare symptom don't have it to an extreme degree, or so I've read.

Have you read "Front of the Class" by Brad Cohen? He's another with TS, and his words are very helpful and comforting. I saw the movie based on his book and it changed my life.

I must say, my TS was much worse in childhood. It started subsiding when I started becoming involved with music (kept my hands and head busy, since I played the viola). Now that I'm in college, it's started getting worse and I've developed new tics, but it's not too bad.