Would you seriously date a girl with an ex-boyfriend's tattoo?

... or lasered remains of an ex-boyfriend's tattoo, that gets more visible with tanning or in other circumstances

• Depends on size and location. A tastefully inscribed "Josh Forever" on the inner thigh is fine
  • I would date but short term only unless the girl is awesome and tattoo ends up being 100% - not 99% - gone
  • Cover it up with a design, like draw a large tombstone around ex's name, and a huge likeness of me with a foot on that tombstone
  • It absolutely would not matter to me how many names a girl has tattooed - if I love her I would marry her, tattoos and all

Most Helpful Guy

• I wouldn't take the relationship seriously until she got a good coverup job done to it.

• if you have a problem with it, you should pay for it. tattoos are expensive, and if it means nothing to her anymore, she wouldn't even care to get it covered. if she was hurt over the breakup and was hurt every time she saw it, and wanted to get it covered because of that, then you would have problems.

• Yeah, no. She made the f***up of actually getting it, she can get it removed.

• good point

What Girls Said 6

• So I am thinking of this situation in the reverse, if I met a guy who had a tattoo of his ex girlfriend's name. Honestly I've thought of this before (getting a tattoo of a guy's name) but it would have to be something I really considered and I would definitely want to be married to him for awhile before doing it!

For me, it would be different if he had lots of tattoos, or just her name in a special place--if it's just the one, that would tell me that she was really important to him. I can understand your apprehensiveness, and that it might seem like she still has feelings for this guy. Also, maybe this shows her personality. She could be a rash person and just got the tattoo done even though the relationship wasn't going anywhere. Or, she's really caring and loving and honestly thought they would be together forever. I think the most important thing is to ask her about it. Is the tattoo important to her? What does it symbolize? For her it could just be a reminder of a past love that she has moved on and learned from.

• I had an exes name tattooed on me biggest mistake ever but I got it covered with a butterfly and it's not noticeable at all, the tattoo artist that covered it was fantastic it cost a lot because he's so good but it was worth every cent

• See, I wouldn't date a guy that has his ex girlfriend's name in any place in the body. Or ex wife. Because to me that is kinda fishy and mysterious, if you broke up and no longer care, you should either do 2 things take it off or cover it up, and write your new girlfriend's tattoo. To me that is weird and it could also mean, they're feelings haven't gone away yet, and want to remind them selves of the good times they have had. But, I strongly believe that if you brake up with someone and don't care anymore you get rid of it. Because if you think of it, it kinda makes absolutely no sense!!!

• to not date a girl over a past tattoo is immature. If I had a guy say "i won't date you because of a tattoo" than good riddance to him.. not worth my time

• and if you had a guy showing a different woman's name on him?

• there is a difference between giving someone an STD and having a tattoo. BIG difference and they don't even compare

• having herpes isn't in his past. he still has it, and he can spread it to other people. you aren't going to catch a tattoo.

• Its just ink

• um, swastika can be inked

• No it's not just ink.. It's a symbol, it stood for something. A rose with bobwire raped around it is just ink, a dragon is just ink... A name or portrait of someone you loved or love is a symbol. Like I said, though. I'm the one with the issue, so I would offer to pay for it to get removed or covered up. If she would refuse, then that tells me that SYMBOL still means something to her, I have no time to be second choice to anyone.

• @native65: +1

• Hi I'm been dating guy that has his deceased wife name tattooed on him. His wife died from being a alcoholic. We have been dating for 6 years. When we first got together he asked if it bothered me i said I didn't care because I really didn't think we would be together for this long. Lately i asked if he would cover it and he says no I asked like awhile before this last time he said ya
    I'm at the point where I really think he has or will never move on with his life so maybe it time for me to move on. Sorry to say but I'm just done with seeing the name on him. I'm sure if I had my deceased husband name on me he would of wanted me to cover it.

What Guys Said 10

• I duknow' man. It's not the fact that she has another dudes name on her, I mean, who cares about that guy. The fact that she got a boyfriends name tattooed on her would be troubling to me. Added that she just didn't get another tat over it.

Would I date her? Yes.

Would I date her seriously? No.

• No, because it means she's not that bright. Getting a family member's name tattooed on you is fine because family is forever. Boyfriends come and go.

• No, but if was really interested in her at that point... I would offer to pay to have it removed since I have an issue with it... If she refused then I know she still has feelings for the idiot, and I will know what to do.

• Why would it matter? What if she truly loved him and fate did not dictate there union in life? I should hope that men are not that insecure that they feel threatened by past loves. A heart holds many things past loves are one of them. I would tell her to show it with pride...

• That's exactly how a loving man should feel. The issue is more with you two not leaving in isolation, with other people in the society / in your circle, many of whom would snicker or at least have that smirk.

• lol no. and I am not dating anyone with tats presently - I prefer no ink actually. I was just curious

• I have over 100 tattoos. One is a woman's name. If someone ever asked me to remove it, I would walk right out of there lives the second they asked.

• Ha, no.

I try not to date stupid women, or at least ones that don't have scars of their stupidity.

• If the tattoo wasn't somewhere obviously visible, and she WANTS to get it removed (I understand finances and health risk issues are possible), then I'd have no problems with her.

If for some reason she would PREFER in all instances to keep the tattoo...then I would think she wasn't over her ex.

P.S. I didn't vote because none of the choices applied to me.

• It would not bug me at all. She's with me, not him, and it's just a bloody tattoo lol.

• I get the ink itself not bothering you - but it's also about never being bothered by a smirk on some people's faces who know it's not your name

Maybe it's irrational but on some level some people would more readily accept a kid (you're a guy with a big heart) than a tat (you're with stupid) - no?

• Exactly. It is easier for you to get past it if you love her but it's the effect of others snickering that creates unnecessary negativity

• ain't that the truth! I've learned to get past what others think of me. After all, you don't think American men don't get crap and snickers of being a loser for being with an Asian woman?

Trust me, it seems today that's seen as a BIG loser sign now lol.

• No, because if she's stupid enough to get her wiener of the week tattooed on her she's too dumb for me.

• let me spell it out for you

H E L L N O

• guys have dated girls who are still friends with their ex,I don't see why not in this case