Ladies, Would You Date a Guy Younger Than You?

Im curious about this issue. I know a lot of times women date men much older than them, but I rarely see a woman dating a guy younger than them. So would you date a guy younger than you? If you would, how much younger, and would you draw the line at a certain age? Why or why not would you date a guy younger than you?

• Yes, I would date a guy younger than me
  • No, he would have to be my age or older

Most Helpful Girl

• I think that when you have a connection with someone and you are intellectually the same age, it can be easy to forget there is even an age difference. This is true for my boyfriend and me (he's 2 years older) as well as some friends we see occasionally (she's like 6 years older than him). You can look at someone and say I could never date someone with that much of an age difference, but then you can meet someone who is the same age as that other person and it doesn't feel like that. Obviously, maturity has a lot to do with it. Being in the same place in life is important. Somebody who's working to pay off a mortgage probably isn't in the same place as someone young who is more interested in having fun and having experiences. Numbers wise, I don't think I would go much younger if at all mainly because I lean towards being more mature than a lot of my peers, at least at this point in my life. So unless I met someone who was younger than me and had a similar maturity level as me, I probably wouldn't consider dating him. Honestly, if my boyfriend had been born the same year as me we probably wouldn't have started dating. The things he's told me about what he was like when he was 21(the age I was when we met) and younger are things I wouldn't have found to be very attractive about him. Fortunately for me, by the time we met he had grown into an amazing person who had the right priorities in life. That's much more important than a number.

What Girls Said 53

• Yes, I would date someone younger than me.

I don't think age has a lot to do with maturity,

I think it all depends on the person themself.

This is a big range of the ages I'd be willing to date,

but I think opitions are good. So I would date

a guy as young as 18 or 19. A guy who's in his earlier

twenties. A guy who's in his mid to late twenties.

And, of course I guy in his thirties but no older than

32. However, if I found the right guy I might be willing to

date older than that, but I have a rule "If the guy has more

in common with my parents than me, I know he's too old

for me lol"

• Very generally speaking, I don't go for younger guys. It's a double standard thing; I can date older, but I don't like my boyfriend dating older. I fully admit it doesn't abide by logic. Younger guys tend to be more immature, but merely a year younger shouldn't be a problem... yet I hesitate.

There's this odd feeling of progression in life, that I have to constantly be moving forward, and to date younger feels like a step backward, back toward childhood. Like I said, totally not based on logic.

And of course, there are exceptions to every rule.

• younger I associate with being smaller and more fragile than me

and I wanna feel comfortable sitting and sleeping and jumping on my guy randomly without crushing him haha

im cool with other people doing it but it'd make me feel like a creeper/kooger Loll inno

• I think once you reach a certain age, a few years younger doesn't matter like over 40. I know some 18 year old who act like they are 30 and I knew one 55 year old that acted like he was still 17 ...that was just pathetic really

Every person reaches a particular mental age in there head by the time they are 40. Am 49 but don't feel any different inside than I did when I was 28. Probably explains why I have the 25 year old men trying to ask me out all the time. I don't look my age either, the guys think I look about 38.

Though I would not mind dating a younger man, he would not be someone I would consider for a long term relationship..

• i dated a guy a year younger than me for three years. at the age I am at right now I probably wouldn't date more than two years younger though.

• Yeah, I don't want to date a guy in another grade but younger in my grade is ok.

Up to a year is OK at this point in my life.

I'm only 18 so...I can't even date people many years younger..I don't know if one is even ok?

I don't want to date people really younger than me but I have and am now. It's only by a few months so I don't care :)

Just a preference thing, not a rule.

However, I'm not going to break the law for anyone.

• I'm seeing someone younger than me by quite a bit, and it's fine. The only thing is that we don't go out with his friends because then I'm like that creepy old lady at the party... I don't want to be the creepy old lady at the party. I mean, I may be a creepy old lady, but let's not run that sh*t up the flagpole, amirite?

And we're not in a *relationship*, either. We're just seeing each other, which is not the same thing.

10 years up or down is where I draw the line. However, it's not written in stone.

• im 20 so legally I can't go much younger ha ha but maturity-wise I can't go much younger either. age doesn't matter to me as much as maturity does so I would be willing to date someone younger as long as he is mature.

• I'm 22. In general, I love younger guys. But there's a thin line between 'Do I like you so much I was to pet your head and pinch your cheeks' and 'Do I like you so much that I want to hold your hand and kiss your cheek'. Most younger guys who want to cross that line are unable to, and sometimes I feel like a guy is teetering on the line and I get confused about my feelings. >_< 18 is the youngest. Under that, you get immediate 'puppy status' xD.

So, being with a guy a few years older or same age seems less trouble, I think.

Younger guys who are mature yet childish, adorable but sometimes manly, and protective of me but want to be spoiled; that combination is something that usually only younger guys can have *~* Him treating me like I'm superior or putting himself down is a huge turn off, but so is denial that I do have more knowledge in some things than him.

A 5-6 year difference depending on the birthdate is fine with me.

• When I was in high school no, I wouldn't date someone younger but at that age a year or two makes a difference. I'm in my mid twenties now and I'll date someone 21 and up. I think once I hit thirty, I'll most-likely date 5 or 6 years either direction.

• I'm 19, so I'd date a guy a year younger than me. The line's there because he has to be legal.

• I have and would. As long as it doesn't fall in to the pedophile category! :O

• my guy is a year younger and I barely notice the difference, so my answer is yes.

but if I was 40 I wouldn't want a 20 year old, heck, at that age I would need a man

also I would like to say overall age don't matter. if I found love in a much younger man I would explore it if I was single but I prefer older men overall.

• yes I would! my boyfriend is 2 years younger than me :) at my age right now I wouldn't date any guy younger than 2 yrs.. maturity levels drop significantly before 18. I love my boyfriend, at his age, because it's so much fun, he's spontaneous, exciting, funny, loving all at once :)

• Not at all. After my last two relationships with guys 1yr younger than me and an ongoing friendship with one, I wouldn't. They are VERY immature and needy. I don't even fancy guys one year older than myself. If I had to choose a guy to date right now I'd go for someone between the ages 25-32. I'm 22 btw.

• I prefer a guy who is around my age. I feel uncomfortable with a guy who is more than two years older or younger than me. Whether he is a couple months older or a couple months younger than me makes no difference.

• No, I would not. I feel uncomfortable dating a younger guy. I wouldn't mind being friends, though. But I don't see myself with a younger guy.

• Only by like 5yrs younger at the most. And maturity better be there! ANd yes taller! lol

• How young are we talking here?

• Idk why but I am attracted to guys older than me . I've never talked to a guy younger than me just because I see them as little boys . My age limit is always my age or up . If a guy can prove his maturity and his seriousness to be in a relationship I may consider him .

• Yes, I have before and would again. Though the guy I dated was only a year younger than me. People mature at different ages so its just a matter of being on the same page when it comes to what you want.

• I'm only 19, so I can't date anyone much younger than myself. Nor do I want to, a small age difference now is a big difference in maturity. But if I were older than 25 years, I think I'd be willing to date someone of 18. I don't know yet. An age difference of 5 years is my maximum for now.

• Now am 21 and dating someone younger than me would be like babysitting the whole time. But If I was 30, I would date a guy who is 28.. Would I date a guy younger than me, yes.. but again it depends on my and his age.

• Unfortunately, I am. It's awful. He's 22. He's not motivated, he doesn't clean, he's lazy and just likes to play video games all day...

• I'd say that it depends on your age at the time.. there's a "rule" or something that says half your age plus seven is the youngest that you should date, but honestly as long as he's a good guy and you guys really like each other, I'd date a younger guy hah!

• yup but nothing 3 years older, or 3 years younger. imo 3 years is still pretty much the same age bracket after you're legal.

• Yes, but IF and only IF he was mature to my level or more

• 2 years younger. Only up to that.

• I'm 18 and I'd like to think my mindset is at a more mature place opposed to guys who are younger than me. I tend to get along better with guys who are a good 5+ years older than me. If I were to date a younger guy, I'd feel like I was dating a 13-14 year old considering that's how most of them act. Personally, I wouldn't.

• No I wouldn't. Its nothing personal to the guy its just one of those weird wacky things. I jut find it as a huge turn off

• More from Girls
    23

What Guys Said 2

• That's so smart of you not making a "see results" for guys option. Good luck with authenticity of this poll... At least it's easy to distinct in this forum between girl votes and guys' votes.

• I can't even answer this honestly...

I like someone who is younger... but I don't think I'd be okay with being in a relationship with him.. :[