How Video Games Can Benefit You

The games I'm refering to today are the ones which hold action, adventure and puzzle elements: they require the player to think and react fast, remembering important information and storing them in the player's memory for a long time, make split-second decisions.

How Video Games Can Benefit You

They help you improve:

• perception
  • spatial attention
  • ability to track moving objects in a field of distractors
  • upon reducing impulsiveness
  • upon overcoming dyslexia
  • attention
  • memory
  • decision-making
  • vision
  • dexterity
  • improve balance
  • ability to multitask
  • mental flexibility

Needless to say > video games reduce stress significantly!

It is possible that people who choose to play video games are those who already have superior perceptual and cognitive abilities, so that makes them more attracted to them in the first place... Nonetheless, video games help everyone improve upon these elements mentioned above, not just the already gifted. xD

LittleSally is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 24

• I'd say a Con of actually being a gamer is that you want to murder anyone who says they're also a gamer but when you ask them what they've played they can only bring up that *$#%**% piece of $#%* Call of Duty

• bloodborne taught me how to drink the blood of the innocent

• "Reduce stress"
    This applies to everyone but me

• need for speed taught me how to drive

• Let's not forget the brainwashing of people to infect them with m̶y̶ ̶s̶o̶g̶g̶y̶ ̶k̶n̶e̶e̶s misogyny.

Also, those cats. :3

• As long as they aren't an escape from reality, or an addiction.

• Isn't there a bunch of things that are an escape from reality? Movies, music, drinking, those all alter our perception somehow or let us experience something different yet they are all acceptable in moderation, so why would escape from reality be an automatic negative?

• I guess I should rephrase; escape from your problems.

• I don't play video games anymore I switched from a gamer to a gym rat, but when I did play I loved turn based strategy games like the total war series, plan you cities, place armies strategically, set up allies and trade partners and bide your time to take over the world

• Heya. That's a very nice take you made there. Very kind!

It's true :) Video games ARE beneficial. Thank you so much for pointing it in the bright direction.
    About the ragers? They perceive the games in a wrong manner, at least, that's what I see.

Now I'd like myself some sweet Call of Duty ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Much love!

• civ 3 got me through ap history. i probably more in that game than i did in actual history classes

• I like video games but now my laptop is outdated. I am poor and can't afford a new gaming laptop. So I am sitting duck. :(

• Gaming laptop? Unless you're a college student or something I could understand.

• Ah okay, usually desktop is the way to go, if you want power everything

• @Khailz Have almost no idea about the desktops. Too much maintenance I think. Also we have frequent power-cuts here.

• The Order: 1886... more of a movie than a game. Agree with everything tho.

• Some less vague benefits:
    -socializing and team work. Many games have online elements now, and often you are required to get along and work with other players. Too many games cater to or enable griefing, but just as many have greater rewards for teamwork. Consider large raids in WoW or heists in GTA Online. You need other players and to communicate and cooperate to stand even a small chance of succeeding.
    -budgeting. Spending in-game currency efficiently and effectively is crucial in many games. Buying new equipment that will enable you to gather resources or complete quests more efficiently isn’t as exciting, but it pays off in the long run. You can’t afford to keep losing expensive ships in EvE if you can’t afford to replace them, so you might have to fly something cheaper, or upgrade your industrial skills so you can mine, harvest, or do planetary extraction to a higher level, for example.
    -planning. I’ll cut to the chase and say that The Sims helped me understand a lot of the concepts behind running a good household. Letting damage go unrepaired and chores unfinished and you leave yourself a much bigger mess to have to clean up further down the line. The Sims tantruming angrily because they’re tired illustrates further the need for good time management: you wasted time before bed and now you’re stuck with a dirty house that can’t wait another day to be cleaned or you’ll have a roach infestation tomorrow.

• I agree. I like specially games that involve strategy. Ever heard about Crusader Kings 2?

• Was that screen shot from Sleeping Dogs?

• I love video games !! XD

• Now this is my kind of take XD. It's about time someone told the non believers XD. Gg girl, gg :D.

• If your interested in this you should read "everything bad is good for you" it goes deeper into just this. I readit for a class, not really my thing because I think the only benefits important now a days are those akin to scientific intelligence but that's just me

• So are pluses but other no you won't be really getting. 90% of the time I'm on auto pilot in multiplayer fps games. There is just no challenge in them because everyone just goes with the best and plays cheeply. The only real game I have paid close attention to was dead space. When a games gets to a certain point games just get to easy for them. Stradegy games follow the same line, certain things work whole others don't. just go with what works or lose.

• Im not sure about the stress relief. In FPS games, when I'm reloading, I get like, a heart attack.

• More from Guys
    4

What Girls Said 7

• KITTEHS! and awesome take ^^

Growing up I learned more from educational computer games than I did from school. The information stuck with me for a long time. Plus one of the games I played is the reason why I can type so fast without having to look down.

Plus I've started to have to really look up information about an item and other things in games. Which I suck at finding info about anything. Still I try what I can and then have my boyfriend correct me if I'm wrong. :D

Plus with having my learning disability video game type learning. It helps you remember and understand things more easily. At least for me it has.

• even though am not into videogame stuff... its a nice take

• Con: Never seeing the light of day ever again

• Yes I play video games and another benefit is that you can get faster reflexes. Video games rock! :D

• That's why we love video games :D

• I'm a game developer myself and I love this take!!

• So, am I. I do Gameplay and AI programming scripting in Unity3D and Unreal Engine 4.
      What's your discipline?

• @GreatnessPersonified I do gameplay and AI too. I used to work in Unity and some Unreal too but I've been hardcoding it in OpenGL. I'm also making my own game engine.

• Good luck then. I tried making my own engine. It was a task!!

• You're so genius!! I love this take , you're the man for making this take!