Aging Star Wars Fans Really Need to Shut the Hell Up

First off, let me make this plain: I'm a "Star Wars" fan. I really am. Just because I was born 12 years after the first one came out in theaters doesn't mean I'm not allowed to be one. But according to a whole LOT of aging fans of the series, I can never be a "true" fan.

I'm also not allowed to be considered a fan because I actually LIKE the new movies. And yes, I like them more than the old classics. I just think they're better films, so sue me. That's when certain die-hard older fans laugh and roll their eyes and giggle among themselves like clique-ish schoolgirls. I had no idea that being a "Star Wars" fan was so...exclusionary.

Case in freakin' point:

I went to see "The Force Awakens" yesterday and as I was standing in line for the theater, these four older guys were in front of me, waiting to get in. For almost half an hour, I listened to them slam every movie made after the original trilogy. Then, as luck would have it, they were in front of me when watching the movie and while they didn't really say anything, they just kept shaking their heads and even laughing every once in a while. When it was over, I followed them out of the theater and that's when I heard one of them say:

"These movies made for ADD kids have nothing to do with the original spirt of 'Star Wars.' It's sickening. They're just flashy action movies with no soul."

A buddy replied:

"Yeah and it's sad because people who like these movies actually think of themselves as 'Star Wars' fans. They're not and they never will be."

It was my turn to roll my eyes. And as I drove home, I started to realize something: I think because "Star Wars" is more mainstream than ever now, there are a lot of casual fans. I guess I qualify as casual because even though I've watched all the films multiple times, I don't have a giant collection at home and I didn't see the originals hundreds of time (like the dude says in the video above...400 times?!). The crazy die-hards feel like we don't belong in their territory, I guess. But I don't think I deserve to be labeled in other ways just because I like the new movies.

And hey, let me say this:

If you're over 40 and too much of your life OBVIOUSLY revolves around a certain movie - or set of movies - I'm pretty sure you need to get a life."

Hey, I'm not an ageist or anything like that. I was raised to respect my elders, I really was. But this seems to be absolutely true: The older they are, the more obnoxious they seem to be about this topic. So really, just shut the hell up. Can't we all just enjoy the movies? Isn't that allowed?

KaidenKass00 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 3

• Come to the Star Trek side. The elders never discriminate.

• Yeah... I say they should all lighten up.
    It's kind of sad and weird when something like that means so much to them... Why feel the need to ruin it for everyone else?

• My grandfather says that if you don't know the secret password you not a real Star Wars fan. He would not give me the secret password

What Guys Said 27

• In their defense, the prequel trilogy did suck... Bar the last one though.

• And if they dont?

You gonna ride your bike over and challenge them to a plastic lightsaber duel lol
    But you are right, never let anyone tell you that you're not a true Star Wars fan.

• Star Wars 7 disappointed the hell out of me.

on a more related note, i get what you're saying... but if you're looking at pure story... the first three films were much more captivating. hayden christiansen did what he could but it wasn't a good set of scripts. the one script that george lucas didn't write himself was episode 3 where he got a well known ghost writer and that movie was halfway decent as a result. see, you need captivating story behind flash to make it a great picture.

george lucas is not an artist. he's a creative and can produce great movies but he lacks "it" to write and direct a movie like star wars which actually requires a really captivating story given how hard it is to relate to a world that could never exist for us. a great story brings us into it regardless. think game of thrones or even harry potter.

so yeah but back to my point 7 was a remake of 4 and not a sequel. such a disappointment

• I do agree to some extent. And the bottom line is that Lucas was never able to write dialogue. He admitted as much.

• Let's be real...

If you were lined up waiting for the opening night premiere, dressed in a costume, you really need something better in your life. Like a job. Or video games. And probably a gym membership.

• My dad and I are both Star Wars fans... but we are not that dorky with it. :-P

I fully agree with u, I love the Star Wars franchise and definitely enjoyed the newer films. The amount of idolatry for the franchise by middle-age + people (especially men) is completely out of control.

Typical old people who don't like change and will be phased out of many facets of life, due to lack of adaptation.

• I honestly I liked them all, sure the writing could have been better on the newer ones but hey it's not like many movies today are actually made with good stories to begin with. That being said episode 7 was a pretty big disappointment both story and character development wise as well as a few minor things but I think that is because the force awakens is laying the ground work for a much better story and character development in the next movie.

I will always enjoy all the movies but the first original 3 will always have a place in my heart that the newer ones never will, they were done right, and done to be what they were supposed to be which was a space opera of simple good vs evil, with a captivating story and the allure of knights and damsels in distress but set in a future setting.

But hey at the end of the day if you enjoy star wars, the story and love the cannon lore and the (still cannon lore in my heart) legends lore then you a star wars fan we're all true fans some of us just like star wars a little bit more or less then others.

Besides there will always be little things in both the old and the newer movies that bug or bother us like for me it's how Rey could fight on par and defeat Kylo even though she has absolutely no training in lightsaber combat, but I'm not gonna let that small thing overall ruin the movie for me or for others and neither should any fan.

And also I was actually pleasantly surprised with the Force Awakens Disney actually did stay true to Star War's darker nature and did not make it a movie for kids, that I did enjoy. I look forward to seeing what they do with the next movie, because I think that is were this new story of the new generation will really take off.

• so it's four older guys who are just stuck in the past. we all know those older people who believe everything was better back in their day (i always point out the terrible social injustices that also existed and ask them if it was really so much better back in their day)...

that said i do agree with them that the 1st 3 releases were better than the second 3

what's your opinion on the newest? i heard it was pretty awesome

• I won't lie, I really do like Star Wars. But there is no denying that it is overhyped. I mean, it's presented as this grand thing that has no equal when in reality if you take off your nostalgia and hype glasses... it's not really that special. The story is actually straight forward and simple really.

• I mean, if you like the prequels more than the original tril, you've got bigger problems than some old nerds.

• i never cared for star wars. yawn.

• Get over yourself.

• This debate will never end, and I will never concede that any of the star wars movies (including the new edits of the original trilogy) will be as good as the original.

But! In the spirit of the holiday season, I will offer one valuable argument to shoot down 99% of "old star wars geek" and shut them up when they are complaining about Jar Jar Binks/Abrams. Whenever they start complaining about X movie not being as good as the original, just remind them that at least it wasn't as bad as the Star Wars Christmas Special.

If they don't know what it is, then they're not a true fan. If they do, then they'll agree and shut up.

You're welcome.

• How... important.

• Episode VII didn't live to my expectations, yet I feel your pain but for other reasons. I don't like Episodes I to III mostly because of poor acting plus some extras that didn't really make a lot of sense... yet I never slammed anyone because they liked those.

I just don't like extremists, and that's what a "hardcore" fan is, no matter what part of the saga he or she likes the most. All of them have their own opinion and are entitled to have it. I just don't care when they share it anymore :)

• On the night before the midnight premiere when I was interviewed by a reporter in my Imperial Officer uniform, she said to me ''You're too young to watch Star Wars. You know that?''
    I replied ''What? Why?''
    And she said '#Because the first one came out in 1977.''
    Of course she was kidding. We both laughed.

• I agree 100%, I also like the new movies... unlike some conservative older fans. Great Take, you are completely right.

• So true I just want those fan gone I think George Lucas thinks the same

I love saying this to Older fans

in my opinion Force Awakens is better than Empire I got pretty bored during empire

• meh, fans taking things a bit too seriously has a habig of being a bit too anla about things. I mean, how else ould they hide their lightsabers?

Seriously though, some people need to grow up a little. And i'm not talking physically. Anyone liking the star wars series is a fan, wether you have the first or the last ones as your favorite, or the new one. As long as you like the series in general. Sure, i could frigin slaughter the prequel, but i could wreck the original trilogy equally hard.

Lastly, i agree with them that it's too much "action". Not because it's too muh of n action movie per see, but rather that the lore seems to have suffered a bit in the process. The "victorious protagonist" syndrome is hillariously strong in the movie.

• This is true of any medium, that people feel it has been diluted or lost its direction (read: sold out) to appeal to a broader audience. Star Wars did it, Battlefield did it, Paramore did it, etc etc etc.

I don't think age has as much to do with it as you think - hardened fanbois will be obnoxious and condescending about their favourite stuff regardless of how old they are. I don't really like trying to make a connection between youth and enthusiasm, and that you can ever be 'old enough to know better'. That to me sounds like a boring life not worth living if you can't enjoy your favourite things.

• You all sound petty and small minded. To each their own. They think they own it coz they were there and you think you own it coz you're younger and they're 'past it.' Put your fingers in your ears and don't listen next time. I don't understand why anybody would get so wound up about a daft film.

• More from Guys
    7