My Top 5 Favorite Books Ever: From Les Miz to Gatsby

In no way are these in order I can never choose one I like the most. I have hundred of favorite books but I spent the last couple of months deciding which I liked best and these were my top five. I didn't choose series or else The Harry Potter books would be here, I just chose single books.

The Great Gatsby by Scott Fitzgerald

My Top Five Favorite Books. Ever.

The Great Gatsby begins in the 1920's, specifically the Jazz Age and our narrator, Nick Carraway moving to West Egg. He is neighbors with the wealthy and mysterious Jay Gatsby. Gatsby spends a good chunk of his money on lavish parties but all he really does is stand next to a window and stares at a green light, across the bay. Great Gatsby is a ninety year old classic, that is still popular and rightly so. It's one of the few love stories that is not formulaic. It is ripe with symbolic imagery. I loved the imagery, style, and the characters.

Fanrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Story is about a world where books are illegal, houses are fireproof, firefighters job is not to put out fires, but to burn books. This book was frighteningly amazing. The predictions that Bradbury hit a little to close to our current world. At the same time, it made me feel defiant. The government will not be taking my books and they can burn me with them, if need be. Also gives a gentle reminder that the establishment is not always telling the truth.

Les Misèrables by Victor Hugo

It is common for people to think Les Misèrables happens during the French Revolution but it actually happens during the French Uprising which was after the French Recoltion. Our story begins with the main character, Jean Valjean who gets five years for stealing a piece of bread, the extra fourteen years he got because he tried to escape multiple times. His life changes when one person shows him kindness, he decides to spend the rest of his life making up for it. It would be a tragedy for a person with poetic mind to not read this book.

You will not forget this book in fact the 1463 pages felt short to me. The movie is almost as good as the book. Almost. My only complaints are that it annoys me that they cut parts of one of the characters personality, so that she seemed like a hero. When she was quite selfish. Plus the person who plays her in the movie is far too pretty compared to how she is described in the book. It also annoys me that they cut another characters personality so that she seemed naive and stupid when really she is smart and kind. Vive la France!

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

This book is about black maids in Jackson, Mississippi in the 60's. They form an alliance with a white magazine writer and tell her their stories working for an organization called, the help. I bought this book for a dollar at my library and went home and asked my book club on Facebook about their thoughts on the book and they told me to start on it immediately. So I did and I loved it. It made me laugh, cry, and everything in between. I truly believe this is a classic in the making. You can feel the desperation of the protagonists, the bitchiness of the antagonists is portrayed vividly. The movie is almost as good as the book. Almost though.

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

This book is about two women, Mariam and Laila. The book follows them over the span of thirty years as the author accurately depicts what life is like for women in the Middle East. This author has the rare talent to make his characters feel a great amount of empathy, I cried four times. But I promise you it was amazing. I also loved how the author came up with original ways to describe something. That includes original similes and metaphors. The author paints a stark picture of how much harm radical religion and intolerance can cause.

Ginnyweasley97 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 8

• Some good ideas for me to check out. A couple I like are : The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer and Beowulf. The Crucible by Arthur Miller is good too which he compares the Salem Witch Trials to his own experience in the McCarthy Communist hunt in the 1950s. Great job Ginny!

• Sorry that's all I could come up with. I'm not feeling too good.

• @Dred1614 all three of those were Senior year because Senior Year lit in Tennessee is all British and International Lit. Junior year is all American Lit.

• We did Brit lit junior year and American lit senior year.

• I still have to read Les Miserables; I certainly liked Hugo's "The Hunchback of Notre Dame." And I know I'm weird, but I actually liked Fitzgerald's "Tender is the Night" more than "Gatsby."

It's hard for me to pick just five and the list can change depending on the week (or day) but here are mine:

"Middlemarch," George Eliot (though we should always acknowledge the real name of the author, Mary Anne Evans)

"Anna Karenina," Leo Tolstoy

"A Hundred Years of Solitude," Gabriel Garcia Marquez

"The Age of Innocence," Edith Wharton

"The Magic Mountain," Thomas Mann

Some honorable mentions include Tolstoy's "War and Peace" (which as far as I'm concerned, could've been even longer :P ), W. Somerset Maugham's "Of Human Bondage," Eliot's "The Mill on the Floss," and Marcel Proust's "In Search of Lost Time" (also known as "Remembrance of Things Past"). The latter is actually a massive six-part series that's more than three times the length of "War and Peace," but I'm on part 4 and it'll be finished one day. :)

• Thank you for the recommendations I adore the classics.

• No problem. I can always give out those sorts of tips, as I've been reading the classics for a long time. :)

Though I'm actually reading a new (er) book now, The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach. It's okay so far.

• Some Nice ideas to Read, Thank you

• Loved the Great Gatsbyatsby pure class. Was half expecting the likes of Pride and Predudice and other collections about spoiled upper class women who had such hard lives.

• I'm with you on Gatsby, but none of the others. I'm a fan of Catcher in the Rye, Beowulf, Animal Farm and 1984. However, I usually only read historical books such as Bill O'Reilly's Killing series.

• Meh I don't like reading big books I prefer comic books to actual book but oh well everyone has their preference so I can't judge

• Fanrenheit 451 is awesome but if you're really looking for the strong stuff (and a serious depression) I recommend "1984" and "Brave New World".

• I read 1984 my senior year of high school. Never read brave new world

• I strongly recommend it. Of all the books with such theme this one comes closest to what we're heading for. By far one of my all-time favourites.

• Thanks for the recommendation. I will check it out I might even have it in my personal library.

• you should read "ship of theseus" it's really cool.

What Girls Said 2

• Cool! Some of these are definitely going on my To Read list.

• From the username, you can probably guess that Les Mis is one of my favourite books too and yup, cutting out part of Eponine's character to turn her into a lovestruck brave woman prepared to die for love rather than a selfish and frightened little girl who was focused more on Marius' money than his personality is extremely annoying too. Plus, Cosette is one of my favourite characters of all time and she's just so brave and cool and badass and they completely removed that and turned her into a simpering little baby and it hurts so much, especially when I feel that they kinda take away from her relationship with her father by doing so? Like the relationship between Valjean and Cosette is one of the most beautiful and heart-breaking ones I've read, how he keeps one of her dresses and a pair of her shoes and goes home and cries over them. <3 The only issue I have with the book itself is how much useless information you get from Hugo? Like I don't need to know about the structure of the Parisian sewer systems, y'know? :P

• I know right? I found I was skipping parts, which I feel guilty for. It definitely is not cosettes fault, she found true love her first time. And it does not make her stupid or naive. Eponine was not a hero and Samantha barks was far too pretty to play her.

• @Waffles731 LOL True. I remember finishing "Moby Dick" and saying to myself, "okay, I REALLY didn't need to know that much about the process of whaling." :P

I don't really like Melville, anyway, or Hawthorne for that matter. Early American authors don't really do it for me; it's not until Fitzgerald and Steinbeck that I start to like 'em again. And don't get me started on Kerouac... Blech.

• OR Hemingway. NO idea why people think he was great.