10 Reasons Why Glam Metal (aka Hair Metal) Is Superior To Grunge

We all know more or less what happened in 1991. Grunge's popularity was extremely increased, and Glam Metal's popularity was extremely decreased. Blame Nirvana for it, who brought Grunge to the masses. But anyway, here are the 10 reasons why Glam Metal is superior (objectively) than Grunge, and Grunge will always eat the dust and the dirt it deserves to eat as a genre.

(In alphabetical order)

1) Better looks

They knew how to rock this big hair look gracefully wearing leather, unlike Grunge kids who were like lumberjacks.

2) Female musicians were hotter

There are not many female musicians who got involved with the Glam Metal genre, but those who did were hot stuff. Like Lita Ford (in her Lita album from 1988 mostly) or the all-female Glam Metal band Vixen. And of course the girls who were starring in those music videos from Glam Metal bands. Grunge chicks were really really poserish to the core and totally fake. See here .

3) It was the music of the bad boys of that era.

Yeah. The term "bad boys" is common in Glam Metal genre's lyrics. In 1987 Glam Metal musicians were getting all the chicks, and the (then) underground Grunge musicians were writing depressing lyrics, sitting all alone by themselves.

4) Melody

Grunge stripped down any form of Melody in their songs. Keyboards and melodic vocals didn't exist on their songs. They were just raw and totally undeveloped. Grunge lacked melody unlike Glam Metal.

5) Not depressing lyrics/song titles.

I Hate Myself And Want To Die. The quintessential song title of depression. Not to mention those lyrics, which is a showcase of how pathetic this genre is:

I would never bother you
I would never promise to
I will never follow you
I will never bother you
Never say a word again
I will crawl away for good

I will move away from here
You won't be afraid of fear
No thought was put into this
I always knew it would come to this
Things have never been so swell
And I have never failed to fail

Pain
Pain
Pain
You know you're right
You know you're right
You know you're right

It's so warm and calm inside
I no longer have to hide
There's talk about someone else
Sterling silver begins to melt
Nothin' really bothers her
She just wants to love herself

I will move away from here
You won't be afraid of fear
No thought was put into this
I always knew it'd come to this
Things have never been so swell
And I have never failed to fail

Pain
Pain
Pain
Pain
Pain
You know you're right
You know you're right
You know you're right
You know you're right
You know you're right
You know you're right
You know you're right
You know you're right
You know you're right
You know you're right
You know you're right
You know you're right
You know your rights
You know your rights
You know your rights
Pain

6) Power Ballads

Oh those Power Ballads are awesome. And obviously, if you were at a party you could slow-dance to those ballads with some chick. You couldn't do that with a Grunge song right? But can they play any guitar solos or right any lyrics that can fit into a Power Ballad anyway?

7) Rockstar behavior

Glam Metal musicians had this Rockstar behavior, as you can notice in their music videos or in their live concerts. Grunge musicians didn't. In fact they were saying this themselves. They hated this Rockstar behavior. So even themselves admit, they are not Rock artists.

8. Their fans are not posers

Look this girl how she lacks taste in her dressing code. This is a typical Grunge fangirl. Her shoes don't fit her overall style. Wearing an unflattering coat, and this damned beanie that makes her lose at least 3 points from her overall appearance. And she's not the only one unfortunately, but most Grunge fans try to imitate this gross Grunge dressing code.

9) They could handle fame unlike Grunge stars

The article here speaks on its own. They became heroin addicts because they couldn't handle fame, they were weak people and most Grunge musicians were suffering from depression. Remember any Glam Metal musician being dead at a young age? Most of them are alive and well at their 50s or 60s by now.

10) They could play guitar solos

Do you remember any guitar solos in Grunge? Nobody remembers any. Because they just couldn't do a guitar solo.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 3

Glam metal is obviously much better :P

As a fan of both glam metal and grunge (to an extent) I will say this; its all in the timing. 80s is glam plain and simple. Ask anyone what is the first thing they think when they think of the 80s and that is glam, bright crazy colors, an overall happy go lucky attitude (aside from some things). Grunge is the opposite. Grunge is depressing (then again who hasn't felt depressed the past two decades) look around at whats going on. The 90s was in fact the last great decade but it was depressing, a new millennium was coming and a lot of people thought it was the end of the world (no pun intended to R. E. M.) Look what we have now, fake music. Auto tune, fake personas, fake hair, you name it its fake lol. Music changes with the times. I personally like anyone with talent from the 1960s-2000s. Everyone from The Beatles and Johnny Cash to Marilyn Manson and Rob Zombie and everyone in between. Its music so enjoy it or if you dont turn off the radio!

It's a wig

What Guys Said 9

Well, the biggest difference is obviously thematic. While glam bands were, like most music in the '80s, all about excess and good times, grunge was basically one big temper tantrum.

Looking back on it now, as I'm a Gen Xer (I was in high school when Nirvana was huge), I have to say, it's just dumb. Grunge was supposedly making some sort of statement but all it really did was promote apathy and... well, whining. Problem is, we didn't have anything to whine about. And the problems we did have were almost always self-inflicted.

It was also, in most cases, one big fat lie. Cobain had this "I hate fame and money" image but Courteney Love be the first to tell you it was a big farce. He wanted fame so badly, he'd bring his music to every music label on the planet, begging them to sign him. "He wanted it BAD" is her quote. And everyone sort of knew it, too. The "movement" died because it had no legs; we honestly didn't have anything to whine about and everyone over the age of 20 (especially our parents, who lived through Vietnam) were just rolling their eyes at us. And rightfully so.

Your seriously going to believe her the one who told Kurt to kill himself wow

Wow you seriously don't know what your talking about

Why I love Nirvana unlike you

grunge is ok. didn't like most of it. but like almost no glam metal. i don't care about how the fans dress, how the bands dress, whether they can deal with stardom. it's simply about music. and hair/glam metal doesn't do anything for me

Ratt was considered by some critics to be a Glam rock band but the beats were heavier than other Glam bands. I am a big fan of Grunge.

i won't lie i love hair metal but compared to more extreme forms of metal like thrash death black and grindcore u just can't beat the brutal sound of that shit!!! \m/

Eh glam is ok
    But its shitty compared to most other forms of rock

Nirvana solos the entire glam rock genre

I love both but I disagree with everything except when you said Metal women were hotter that's true

Grunge is just so whiny and depressing. And the thing is, this isn't like emo, where most of the artists were teenagers. At least then you could say "oh they're just immature, they'll grow out of it". No, this was GROWN MEN whining about how much their life sucks and how they hate everyone and how they want to kill themselves. I just can't support music like that. Admittedly, I'm not really into "glam metal" either, but I'm somewhere in the middle, melodic rock / AOR. 80s forever baby 😎

Yeah I love AOR too.

nah, grunge is the best

Glam metal was way too flamboyant for me. I've mostly thought of it as "pretty boy rock". They're insanely talented musicians, don't get me wrong. However, I just couldn't get into it all.