Top Four 80s, and Top Four Modern Musicians

Boy George, aka George O'Dowd

What do you think the odds were of a gay, cripplingly-androgynous Irishman ever making it in society, much less pop culture? If you were alive then, or know your history, you'll know it's a million to one.

The Pet Shop Boys, Neil Tennant & Chris Lowe

Alongside the Human League [up next] these guys practically invented synthpop, which eventually evolved into the pop of today. I'm quite sure their union is made clear in the song Opportunities with the lyrics, "I go the brains you got the looks, let's make lots of money."

The Human League

My 2nd favorite song of the 80s is their song Human. Truly Amazing! The main male singer and synthesist, Philip Oaky [sounds a bit like fill-a-pokey lol] sings Together in Electric dreams written by Giorgio Morroder.

Giorgio Morroder

Truly the father of synthetic pop. He admits he wanted to combine the sounds of the past with the sounds of the future, which at the time was the analog synthesizer and the 24-track recorders. Daft Punk put the recording of his interview in their instrumental masterpiece, Giorgio by Morroder. The genre probably would have never existed if he never thought and said, "Once you free your mind of the concept of music and harmony being correct, you can do whatever you want."

BEST MODERN ARTISTS

P!NK

She combines the sounds of hard rock and pop in an almost-perfect mixture. She makes fun of women who date hip hop stars in Stupid Girl, and unlike most other modern artists who--let's face it--are unoriginal and absolute crap, P!NK makes all her song shave a unique melody and sound. She uses very little auto-tune too, unlike most modern artists who are such bad singers, they need enough to sound like a sex robot.

My Chemical Romance

Along with P!NK, these guys are the prime example of how good modern music CAN be, without the talentless vocal effects, and the unrealistic standards of looks that destroyed pop.

Nickelback

Just kicking around, hangin' out this afternoon, and listening to nickel. For a modern rock band, they're a ridiculously good.

Muse

They are one of the best. AND they covered a song from the 1940s by the manly-voiced lovely black woman, Nina Simone, Feeling Good.

THANK YOU ALL FOR READING :) Please share your opinions and maybe some honorable mentions.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 6

My Chemical Romance! I love the lyrical content and the vocal style, shame they're no longer a band. Gerard is quite good with comics though, and the other guys have some great solo projects.

• 2d

well done

I don't like Boy George, totally not my style of music.
    The Human League is awesome, but synthpop has nothing to do with boring pop of today. Synthopop evolved into the electro-pop ;)
    Giorgio Morroder is a genius :D
    I don't like most of the modern musicians, I prefer eurodance of the 90s.
    Nice mytake anyway :)

This was interesting. I'm not a big fan of 80s pop. The synth weirds me out a bit.
    Out of everyone I probably only like Muse.
    Nickelback is for when I hate my raid team but I can't back out and I want them to suffer.

I reccomend you check out Twenty One Pilots. You may think they sounds mainstream, but check out their songs like Lane Boy, Addict With a Pen, Trees, and more. They're so unique and talented. They actually did a cover of Cancer by MCR but remixed it a bit. They were scared to change something that sounded so right but they wanted to make the lyric "I will not kiss you" more prominent in the song because it hit the singer.

Great post - love 80s music

What Guys Said 10

Ya pet shop boys are awesome one of the many new wave bands i like.

this is opinions right?
    cause otherwise this list is bad as hell

This has to be a troll

1980's Yes, 1980's Rush, 1980's Genesis, Asia and Emerson Lake & Powell had more talent in their pinkies than any of these bands could ever hope to have. All five of these bands were pioneers of synth rock during the 1970's and they were still the best during the 1980's. As for today? Give me Hozier, Of Monsters and Men and the new Enya album, and you can have the rest. Nickleback? You must be kidding!

Just listened to "Cancer" by My Chemical Romance. Thanks but no thanks. Also, where are Bruce Springsteen, U2 and The Pogues on your 1980's list?

I thought the Human League were fantastic at the time

It doesn't do justice to pick Top Four from an era of great music unless you have some sentimental connection with the number "4". :)

MUSE

OMFG MUSE

BEST

Speaking on human league's "Human", that beautiful piece was =produced by Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, which is why is sounds so similar to some Alexander O'Neal songs I've listened to.

I'm glad to see that Nickleback made the cut, I have always enjoyed them, yet there are many people who want to criticize them and say they are bad. I don't get it.

80s:
    1. The Smiths
    2. The Talking Heads
    3. Tom Petty
    4. The Pixies (late 80s)

Modern:
    1. Modest Mouse
    2. RadioHead
    3. Primus
    4. Tool.