Do you think athletes or people in the entertainment industry are overpaid?

Do you think athletes, or people in the entertainment field (ie. actors) are overpaid? I just read an article where a baseball player may be offered 200 MILLION dollars!

Which professions do you think people are overpaid for what they do? Who do you feel is underpaid?

Most Helpful Girl

• I can't stand when people complain about teachers being underpaid.

No one told them to become teachers and becoming a teacher isn't about talent. Being an athlete or "entertainer" is typically--or was--about talent.

A majority of people are incapable of breaking records like Adrian Peterson, Larry Bird, Joe Montana or Michael Jordan.

Now, people like the Kardashians and Jersey Shore--different story. Even then, you only have the public to blame for continuing to support them financially

• When people like the Kardishians and jersey shore are making more $ than a firefighter, who works ridiculous amount of hours, or risks their lives by going into burning buildings/houses, there is something severely wrong with that picture. Although douche bags like the one below who has blocked me, and thinks I'm playing the victim card, is clearly too much of an idiot/coward to realize it

• no. If the world's wealth was spread out equally no one would be hungry, don't you think that's how it should be?

• There is no way to make sure the whole world will be fed. There are billions of people. That's one hell of an unrealistic goal

What Girls Said 13

• If people are willing to pay them that much then who is anyone to say whether or not they deserve that money? Someone clearly does, and they're the ones writing the check.

The thing is, the entertainment industry (in all forms) is huge. People are willing to front enormous amounts of money to be entertained. That money must go somewhere, why not to the people supplying the entertainment?

• Athletes and entertainers no because they are making their money off of advertisements and endorsements and so they are getting a percentage of that, which is fair. I think politicians are very over paid as well as Ceos, those would be my two top choices.

• Millions is too much... but remember that they are basically giving up on their life by working in this industry: they are the ones having crazy creepy fans all over all the time, not having any privacy because of the paparazzis and living in a super ultra superficial world...

So...you have to put things in perspective.

• unless you're a manually de-land-mining Cambodian farmland or working on the cure to aids or cancer, I think anyone on earth earning more than 10 mil a year is being paid too much. (and even that is pushing it)

• Emphatically yes! People trained as nurses, doctors, firemen, police officers, GPs, chiropracters...they work so much harder, and contribute so much more than these prima donnas!

• Yes! Ridiculously overpaid! It'd be great if they could instead share that money with people who truly need it, cause we all know their bank account has 8 zeros that never change

• Yes

• Yes, athletes and anyone in the entertainment business are massively overpaid.

People who actually save lives, who help people such as carers etc should be paid more I think. Not people who kick around a poxy football.

• Yes. that could about be said about CEOs,

Underpaid are the very day corporate slaves.

• Yes. But it's not up to me.

• Yes, sports and actors .

• Well billions worship them and spend money to see their games... I don't care if they have too much money.. Money can't buy you a new brain(from all the concussion/drugs). Actually I think scientist may be able to give people new brains.. OK well their souls are still black and rotted.

• Oh absolutely! Unfortunately, I'm a huge movie geek, so I'm part of the problem myself, haha!

I think nurses and paramedics are grossly underpaid.

What Guys Said 11

• They get paid that much because people are retards and don't see that they are the ones paying for these dudes to make that much. If players didn't make that much, then the head honchos in the NBA would keep most of the money. Prices don't come out of nowhere, they are based on what people are WILLING to pay for it.

• No, I think banksters that bet against themselves in their pyramid schemes are overpaid by the public by the billions in net gain, trillions in losses to the payers. At least athletes and celebrities provide some sort of service for the drooling masses. Banksters are just monstrous leeches.

• Generally yes. It's crazy that people will pay up to several hundred for a ticket to watch a sports game for a few hours, then shell out another $25 for parking and like $10 for a beer then jam into a stadium with 20,000 other people that paid the same rate. With the average Joe earning about $23.50 an hours, then need to work like 8 or 9 hours just to go to a game for 2 hours and watch. Somethings off there.

• Yes of course they are lol is that even a question?

• No, they are more valuable to the economy than average workers

• no doubt about it

• Supply and demand. They are paid that amount of money because that's what people want to pay them. How is anyone's choice on how they want to spend their money, drastically inferior to your own?

• No one is overpaid really. It may seem like it sometimes, but for example movies make a lot of money. If an actor was costing a movie more than he would make for the movie, he wouldn't be paid that amount. Movie stars make very little compared to the people behind the scenes, like George Lucas and Steven Spielberg, who are multi-billionaires.

• If you watch sports, you are to blame.

If you pay attention to celebrities, you are to blame.

The reason people like them are paid that much is because the public DESIRES them. They DESIRE good sports and DESIRE celebrity drama. If the world stops looking, Jersey Shore people are just middle aged white people with no marketable skills.

If the world stops paying attention to sports, they will probably still be played, but for fun instead of professionally.

Ignoring it all is the only thing you can do, and by asking this question you have done the opposite.

• They're definitely overpaid

• Can you stop being such a victim all the time? He's good at his occupation and some team wants to pay him that lump sum for his services.

• I don't think the QA specifically spoke of any particular athlete...

• He's just huge baby. Everyone needs to share and make the same amount of money and no one can excel at anything. I'm just tired of always hearing it.