Why do most girls wear bikinis?

I understood that they wear it to attract the attention of men, but is it not embarrassing flaunting your underwear in the water? What ever happened to one pieces? They weren't just skin-tight, but they emphasized the girl's personality, and she could make it come off as whatever she wanted it to be: cute, childish, elegant, tomboyish, etc. WHAT HAPPENED TO THEM? WHERE DID THEY GO? I DO NOT KNOW!

Are there any other reasons besides tanning? I want to get a full grasp on the situation.

Most Helpful Girl

• Not everything girls do is to attract attention from men. I don't wear bikini's for that reason nor any of my friends.

We do it to get a tan or because it's warm weather. It's also comfortable.

Besides, men can walk around without shirts? But what about us? -_-

• That would be worse than a bikini! Hoit-ho-hoit-ho!

• Supposedly it's "indecent exposure" (at least here in America) for women to go topless in public... since men don't grow boobs, we can go shirtless

• Thanks for BA

and yes... it's indecent exposure.. aware of that but at same time very strange as there shouldn't have to be a sexual connotation to boobs. That's the only reason it's indecent.

What Girls Said 16

• Bikinis are the only thing available. And one pieces are seen as childish imo. That or one pieces are for old ladies or bigger girls
    What about guys? Aren't you embarrassed being in the equivilant of boxers?

• I know, I'm not a fan either but it's just standard these days. One pieces look odd, so you don't wear them. On the upside bikinis like this are becoming more in style again

media3.onsugar.com/.../...-Rhode-Island-Photos.jpg

• How totally retro! Hoit-ho!

• Yea Taylor Swift is a very vintage and retro girl now. She gives it a fresh twist, even for a bikini :) I loveeee taylor swift

• I liked her better in her Teens Choice Awards wetsuit.

• Females do not wear bikinis to impress men.
    They are comfortable, super easy to mix and match, often cheaper than a one piece, allow for better tan lines (no one wants a pale belly with the rest of your body tan), easier to remove to go to the washroom, and actually sometimes more flattering than one pieces (for HER to feel confident, not for her to attract men).
    I wear bikinis because I'm tall, when a one piece fits in width, it is too short in length (as well as the other reasons).

• Ummmm... I think women wear bikinis because they want to get an even tan.
    What happens if she wears a one piece and then in the evening she goes out in jeans and a bit shorter shirt - everything is tan but her tummy... Looks stupid.

• Hoit-ho! The general consensus is beginning to make sense! But what about cloudy days?

• Interesting... Hoit-ho!

• Makes you wonder why she'd be wearing those then

• Personally i hate bikinis im the one out of my friends who wears a one piece, i feel too exposed in them

• i honestly think its a trend thing like how back then full body suits were the bomb diggity lol like now high waisted swimming bottoms are coming back in style for females. I personally like bikinis but im never confident enough to strut in them but it was the only thing i could wear because the majority of stores only sold bikinis and the full body suits were hideous. but now that there are swimwear with more coverage im buying those stuff. so in my opinion its just the hype

• I have never worn a bikini to attract a man. I wear them because I'm more comfortable in them than a one piece. Plus you get a better tan.

• I just feel good in a bikini. I feel free and it's comfortable on me. I feel restricted in one-pieces and I don't like how they feel. I don't wear bikinis to get attention, I just feel good in them. The human body shouldn't be so sexualized. It's beautiful.

• Wtf? I don't wear a bikini for men. Its what id convenient for me. One pieces are more complicated, and feel constricting, and look ugly. Most do anyway. Plus I'm fine with people seeing my figure. We live in 2014... I don't need to cover up to swim.

• Aha! A conformist has arrived! Hoit-ho-hoit-ho!

• Its okay, asker

• No, I meant that I'm the same age as you and am not to stubborn to admit that I'm wrong, before asking if you considered me as a potential romantic interest, after which I denounced as a joke.

• I wear a one piece because I go swimming and with big boobs I would never trust a bikini to keep them in properly. I have a really cool 1950's style halterneck one which is incredibly flattering so I don't have to be self conscious at all. I don't quite understand why women are so funny about underwear being seen when they parade around in beach underwear in the summer... puzzles me greatly.

• I personally hate the feel of swimming costumes, as the skin-tightness of them just makes me feel fat (I don't feel uncomfortable baring my tummy though for some reason), and it's easier to get a tan. xx

• What the heck is a swimming costume?

• it's a swim suit @Anon

• Oh, I see! I learned a foreign term! Hoit-ho!

• 1. Easier when going to toilet
    2. More comfortable
    3. Tanning
    4. They can look just as classy and cute
    5. Bikinis can look personal

And there are still a lot of one pieces
    Also bikinis aren't underwear and aren't one pieces kinda to show off to guys too?

• Plenty of girls wear bikinis to impress men. That's not the sole reason, obviously - we wear them to get a good tan, because it's more comfortable, and one-pieces just look hideous on some people. I'm not really sure why guys are complaining to be honest, lol.

• For me, it's because it's hard to find a one piece that fits well vertically.

• I live in a womanizing culture where no one gives a fuck about my personality. I've got to be hot to survive approval or I'm worthless in this male-dominant civilization.

• I'm a girl and I personally hate wearing those flimsy peices of fabric. But then again, I'm generally quite quiet and I dislike showing too much skin. I love my swim suit, and omg I loved doing the bubbles thing with my suit when I was younger (not that I still do at all, I promise *cough, cough* aha).

• Hoit-ho! Exactly! You can be childish with it, because one pieces have whatever personality you give them!

What Guys Said 8

• Because that's all about there is to wear. One pieces are ugly and I'm sure if your swimming the less clothing the better

• I agree that not everything girls do is to attract attention from men. But girls wearing bikinis is one of the things that women do to attract attention from men. Wearing bikinis kind of make them feel a bit empowering that they are showing off their skin. They see a lot of models wearing bikinis in magazines, TV, movies and girls want to do the same to feel more resemblance to models. Of course, there are circumstances where girls wear bikinis for tanning purposes.

• I wish they attracted me. I really do. But the WAY they act when they wear them makes it extremely turn-offish for me.

• I thought I was the only one thinking that. Yes, girls sure look good in their little bikinis. Pun intended. However, it's their attitudes that turn me off. If girls are really only wearing bikinis because of the right circumstance, then that's great. It's obviously more than that. Girls these days wear bikinis to make themselves more empowering. What's the worst is that, they take all those little selfies and model poses in their bikinis and pose them on Facebook/Instagram RIGHT AWAY.

Let's say if they have to choose to between doing something urgent and posting a picture of themselves in bikini on social media. Guess which one they would choose? Posting their little picture! It's not the fact girls in bikini turn me off. It's their attitude and behaviors with bikinis that do.

• It's both for me. Besides the fact that it gives off an immature vibe. Most adults will wear both; most teenagers will only wear bikinis.

• Why complain, if girls want to wear underwear (bikinis) in public, more power to them!

• I just want to know why it has suddenly become so overwhelmingly popular in the 21st century.

• Why are you even complaining? Lol

• Was it not evident? I prefer one-pieces.

• Either way girls look hot regardless in either haha I still can't see why you dont like bikinis but fair enough.

• It's all good as long as I like women, right? Hoit-ho!

• Personally I find the monokini the best, most attractive option

• Lord have mercy, it's too indecisive a swimsuit! What does it want to be? A one-piece? A bikini? MAKE UP YOUR MIND, MONOKINI!

• Because it's comfortable to them and makes them feel sexy.

• It's the same reason why women traded dresses and long skirts for short-shorts, short skirts, and skin-tight jeans. Women's liberation and the sexual revolution and all that. People used to swim naked. By the 1800s in particular, it was the norm to cover up on the beach (the Victorian era).

The only reason that nakedness is considered sexual is because people started covering up. By making the naked body shameful, it becomes a taboo which makes it titillating.

• Hoit-ho! Thank you for your enlightening history lesson!

• Why do most guys only wear swim trunks?

Oh, right, because it's more comfortable.

• But, besides speedos (which are just about the equivalent of a girl in a bikini), what else do we have to wear?

• Could keep a shirt on to cover your upper body.

• Hmmmm... but that's a question of something extra being worn, not an entire change in wardrobe.