Why won't he look me in the eye when talking to me?

okay so there is a guy on my collegiate sports team that I obviously see every day. I've always kind of had a thing for him. we talk and he makes fun of me sometimes, but he's kind of flirtatious and makes fun of a lot of girls. one time last year he texted me to come to a party at his frat and I went. he ended up asking me to stay over but it was that time of the month so I wasn't sure what to do so I stayed but didn't initiate a hook up. I wanted him to know that I wanted to stay but I also didn't want to have to tell him I was on my period so I wasn't sure what to do.

anyway, so I slept on the couch and he was like "omg they keep calling me. brb" and got up and left.

i checked his phone while he was gone cause I thought maybe he was trying to get rid of me and NO ONE HAD CALLED. I also checked to see if a guy friend sent a text and I was the only girl he texted that night and none of his friend had texted. so what the...?

then this year he and I ALWAYS drunk text every Saturday like its our job. no idea why. its just what we do but its nothing overly flirtatious... just retarded drunken stuff.. I also don't know if he's drunk texting anyone else at that time, but at least he thinks enough of me when he's drunk to text me saturday nights.

but what I'm wondering is whenever he talks to me he doesn't look me in the eye. yesterday we were looking at results from a match that we had for our sport and he and a guy friend of mine were standing there looking at the paper analyzing the results from a previous session. I would ask him a question and he'd answer it, jokingly, but look at my guy friend the whole time even though he was talking to me.

why didn't he look me in the eye? he hardly EVER does... even before the whole "period..hook up" thing happened

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends.. Does he make eye contact with others--but not you?

Maybe he's shy..

What Guys Said 2

• probably just really shy - that's why he needs alcohol to text you and ask you to stay over

• Well, I am a shy persona nd when the girl I like comes and tlaks to me. I try to look into her eyes but suddenly look down or away. Then I look back and just gaze at her. I am shy at first and then can't stop looking into her eyes.

What Girls Said 2

• If he was interested, he would call, not text. Same with eye contact. Both behaviors either signal that he's not serious about you, that he's not honest in his intentions, or that he's not confident. None of those signs are good at all. Move on and find someone who can value you.

• Either he's shy and can't look at you in the eyes, or he just isn't that into you. Plain and simple.. if someone likes you, they are going to give eye contact and hold your gaze for longer than most people would.

• Some people out there don't make a lot of eye contact in general though.

I'm not used to always looking at people directly in the eyes.

• I don't make a lot of eye contact with those I'm not interested in, but if I like someone.. I can't keep my eyes off them.