Is staring at people's tattoos considered rude?

I love looking at other people's body art, especially when I'm riding the bus. If they catch me staring, I always tell them that I like their tattoo/ink/body art/henna/piercings etc. Usually they are friendly and we strike up a conversation about it. But is it rude to stare? I don't have any tattoos of my own, so I can't be sure how I'd feel being on the other side.

• I don't mind if they stare.
  • My art, my body--eyes off!
  • Don't mind if you look, but try not to be so obvious about it
  • Look if you must, but don't speak unless spoken to

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• I recently wore a shirt that revealed my tattoo on my arm which stunned people. They asked how long I had it and all those questions. I think it's fine if you explain which you did 😊

• That sounds interesting. The one I am thinking of getting is a yin yang symbol; a wolf making up one half, and a rabbit making up the other half. I love rabbits and my man loves wolves.

• Sounds cool. I will suggest a wash colour and that would look good in your back or near your shoulder (upper arm) If it is medium size it will probably cost around 450-500. Colour is more expensive. Good luck with it :)

What Guys Said 13

• Just ask them what it is, they probably would love to share some it's meaningful enough to have it drawn on them forever

• having a look is one thing but staring is rude and outright creepy, i've joined a new gym recently and this steroid junkie trainer starts eyeballing me which made me so uncomfortable , i greeted him on first day but chose to not greet him again ever , i mean i had to personally raise a complaint with the management when the guy in the locker room who works there was standing right opposite me and staring while i am doing my stuff, he doesn't even walks away when i am getting in to my workout gear, i never had a a such uncomfortable experience in switching over gyms

• Oh... that sounds creepy, for sure. Praying I never become the creepy person lol I try not to ever stare too long.

• They know what they're getting into by getting tattoos. A lot of people do it for just that - the attention (not a bad thing, but just the reality).

• Well, they got them for a reason, which is to make a public statement. I mean, sometimes in general staring can be rude, but looking at someone's tattoo is not offensive.

I currently don't have a tattoo but am planning on getting one (actually two) pretty soon. I wouldn't really care if someone stared at it, because the reason I am getting them is because they reflect who am I and what I want people to know about me.

• I don't think it's rude. I mean if you didn't want the attention you probably shouldn't have chose to draw all over yourself. At least that's how I feel.

True story; I had a "friend" who had "Pussy Killer" tattoo'd really large on his arm then got offended when people looked at it. Not the brightest kid. I thought it was a cool tat though; I mean who does that?

• That sounds okay to me especially if you say you are just admiring their tattoo.

• I don't care at all, they are great conversation starters!

• I dont think so , i am really sure they enjoy your attention
    tattoo is visual art , of course the main purpose of tattoo is to be seen

• haha, I have to stare at it sometimes to see wtf it is. All tattoos were not made equal.

• no. that's why people get tats in the first place for attention.

• Staring at someone in general, is rude, but, you can look at them or whatever, then go back to what you're doing. It's just creepy otherwise

• The reason they got a tattoo is to show it off in the first place. Otherwise there is no point.

• Of course it's rude. Seriously?

What Girls Said 7

• Same as you, I like to look but I don't really say unless they catch me squinting to try work out what their tatts are. I have tattoos, not in places you'd see riding the bus or something but when people do see them when I'm out at a pub or something I don't mind if they look. What I'm not a fan of is when guys come up to me and just really prolongs a conversation about my tattoos. It's like yeah we've done that subject now, find something else interesting to talk about!

• I have the all seeing eye tattooed on my ankle and people look at it like the illuminati will pop out of my leg and kill them.
    Its annoying
    If they're looking at it or any of my other ones without being rude pieces of shit then go ahead have a look.

• Not at all, you're admiring art, nothing wrong with that! If they choose their placement for tattoo to be on their breast for example and wear a low cut tank, they might misinterpret peeps starring at their chest rather then the ink work, but who's faults that?

• True. If you are brave enough to get a tattoo in a place that is revealing, and then you don't cover it, it IS often seen as an invitation to look. And the human body is a beautiful thing. So is discretion, though... and manners. Lol I suppose I just have to try for the right balance of admiration vs. invasion of privacy!

• Why would you put a painting on the wall if you don't want people to look at it? Why not put the painting under the table then?

Same logic applies.

• I don't mind, if you say something once I notice you've been looking. But if you continue to just mutely stare while I'm watching you then it becomes a little weird.

• Agreed. Once I ask about their tattoos, most people don't seem to mind chatting about them, which is why I usually strike up a conversation. A bit harder to do when they are wearing headphones.

• I don't really like when people stare at me. It makes me hella uncomfortable. But if someone asked about my tattoos I wouldn't mind. It's a good conversation starter.

• I paid a lot of money and sat through hours of pain for each of my tattoos. By all means, look.