Is it really THAT offensive for white people to wear these hairstyles?

Okay so whenever I go through my instagram, and there's a picture of a white girl with braids like that, or a white person with dreads, They always get SO many comments saying its offensive and its cultural appropriation. I just dont understand... Its a HAIRSTYLE. WHO FUCKING CARES? Like I understand the hairstyles were made with people with a certain hair texture, but if someone else wanted to wear them I don't understand why that's a big deal. Like i'm mixed and technically these styles were created for hair texture like mine and its my culture but I still don't give two shits what anyone wants to do with their hair.

Here is a video of a black woman yelling at a white guy for wearing dreads
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDlQ4H0Kdg8

Most Helpful Guy

• It's idiotic to get mad at that. Beyonce dyes her hair blonde, and I don't see white people getting offended.
    Seriously, I don't understand why some people get offended by this. It feels like they're running out of things to complain about... and they're gonna keep complaining, cause this pussy ass world gives those who complain, whatever they want.

• It's because Beyonce was white this whole time. :'D
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ociMBfkDG1w

• @Szafi Fuck, we've been lied to all this time! Then those accusing her of being Illuminati must have been right all this time :O

• Who's complaining? The media stirs up all of this to put everyone against eachother. I'm black and I could care less how anybody wears their hair. It's not my business, I don't care. Nobody that I know complains either...

Most Helpful Girl

• God I don't get why people are so easily offended these days. Or feel the need to own something as simple as a hairstyle. people should be happy that one wants to try something that is not familiar. I mean there are better things to do then fight over something so simplistic eh?

• The idea of liberal tolerance. Its main premise is essentially intolerance to overproximity. Ironically, making the goal of tolerance into intolerance. The entire goal is to step on egg shells so as not to offend anyone. That's the going trend in the West. The left approaches the correct problems: racism, sexism; however, its solution is terrible in practice, only serving to build walls between everyone.

What Guys Said 33

• They're angry because the white girls pull it off better than they do.

• I don't care what people do with their bodies... not offensive to me.

• no one gives a shit, but dreads look fucking terrible on white people, especially when they have straight hair. it defeats the purpose

• it's not even a tiny bit offensive.

Besides if people are going to bitch about cultural appropriation then everyone who isn't of European ancestry needs to stop speaking European laguages, wearing modern clothing, using modern technology, going to higher education etc.. etc..

Notice how the ONLY kind of cultural appropriation that is wrong is when a white person likes something from a non white culture, in other words people who bitch about this are racist pigs!

• i speak a european language as a product of colonialism, not because i want to. i actually learned my native language yet my whole country still functions on Portuguese. do you really think all technology, higher education and 'modern' clothing were invented by europeans? wow...

• I'm making a point it's not about agreeing or disagreeing. People seem to think every black person has the time to sit there and call it "offensive" when it's only a small minority of people who do.

• @Queen_naki5 Yeah, can't disagree with that, good point. For the crazies who support this bullshit they don't mean it concerning only black people though. They apply it in any area where a white person does something from any other non white culture but never in the reverse or between other non white cultures. It's the latest SJW/Feminist bullshit drama issue where they create a new way to hate on men, especially white men.

What do you mean by this though? "Get your facts straight sweetie." just curious what I've got mixed up?

• If I'm not mistaken, all girls of ethnicity have been doing the top hair styles for a long time. So, it's more of a universal hair style anyways. Besides, I don't quite understand what the big deal is. People can do whatever they want with their hair. If one group of women think they "own" a hairstyle, then they are crazy. Nobody owns hairstyles. People find out how to do things in their own way and time. For people to think they are copying them is ridiculous.

• No, it's not offensive. it's their choice.

• "Cultural Appropriation" is a social-justice buzz-word to create a crime where none exists. You can't "appropriate" a culture. You can adopt elements of it, or not. It's your fucking hair, and you're free to wear it any way you want.

As soon as someone says you're "appropriating culture" you can instantly put them in the "retard" bucket and disregard everything they say. They are innately hateful people.

The truth is people are HONORED when those outside their culture adopt elements from it.

• stupid shit like this is why people kill other people lol

• Actually, the first one has a Pippi Longstocking feel to her., although Pippi Longstocking was a readhead:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pippi_Longstocking

• People get butthurt over everything these days... Back then if Eminem did that, it wouldn't be a problem!

@Jxpxtxr show em your braids!

• No. Some people just need to cool their jets.

• The people bitching are idiots.

• Yeah usually the same people that whine they're being discriminated against for other reasons. The world's full of hypocrites. It's an art from in some countries.

• no.

vikings did that before black people.

they need to calm the fuck down they werent the first and how stupid is it to make it offensive?

• you know we love white girls wearing bindi on their foreheads as long as our sisters never get called as red dots for wearing the same in America or Europe. maybe they're against the fact that when a white girl wear a braid like this, she's called cute and when a black girl does, she's called as ghetto?

• because everyone is looking for an excuse to be offended these days, even it is over the tiniest thing

• So, does that mean we can patent our own hairstyles and no-one can wear it like that?

• Is it "appropriation" to wear weaves, which are, literally, hair cut off the heads of women in India and sewn onto someone else's head?

• I doubt that's something that is seen in real life very often. Maybe on the internet it's common but I doubt that's common in a in person conversation.

• They can wear Wtf they want. Fuck em if someone don't like it.

• Can someone enlighten me? I have seen girls style their hair into double braids A LOT, irl and online but I haven't heard of people bashing on others for it. What's the significance of them?

• No its not

• People who think this is offensive really should just off themselves.

• no its not offensive. People are free to do what they want with their own hair/bodies

• Nope. I think it's kinda hot.

• I don't see why it should be offensive

• No, it looks good on some, others shouldn't even try.

• Its not offensive people are just silly

• >_< Another ridiculous misuse of the term cultural appropriation.

• The first one is just typical braids, they're not specifically cornrows or whatever.

The second, i don't think it's offensive, but i get it.

In isolation it's a non issue.

The issue is, you have some hairstyle that's say specific to black people, and when they had it, oh it's a big deal, it's not professional, can't go to work like that, can't be a teacher like that, then white people do it and 'oh it's this awesome new hair style' and now it's okay.

That said, i dont' think being mad at the specific white people who pick up some element of black culture is the solution, it's just the trigger for frustration at a mainstream culture that needs something to be done by white people before it's okay.

People do crazy stuff around cultural appropriation, like some college campus here got rid of yoga because it was cultural appropriation... i mean... wth.

But i actually get annoyed with my youngest daughter's cartoons. Like 2/3 of them have little pop-hip hoppy soundtracks all belted out by cartoon white girls. It's not that white people (or cartoons) can't sing and dance like that, and it's not that every show has to feature tons of black characters, but when 3/4 of the shows are taking elements of black culture while simultaneously having no black people... even i'm a little 'wtf is this'. THROW US A TOKEN BLACK FRIEND OR SOMETHING.

• More from Guys
    3

What Girls Said 30

• We should start freaking out when black girls straighten their hair.

• I think it's interesting how cultural appropriation is only really seen as a 1 way street. If wearing dreads is cultural appropriation for a White girl what is straightening your hair for a Black girl?

• Good point

• Thats a bingo!

• but what culture would the hypothetical black girl be appropriating? Asians have straighter hair than white people and are the people who supply weaves because they have a lot more hair than white people do. arabs and latinos also can have straight hair.

• They get angry because hair for white people is different than hair for black people and it's generally black people that wear their hair like that.
    I don't understand the offense, personally. Black people wear their hair like ours and you don't see us getting offended.
    (I'm not trying to be racist if that's what I'm coming off as)

• i think it has to do with how rebranding works, fashion labels rebranding cultural clothing and designs in order to make money off of it. it's exploitation of cultures.

6uh9u7hhy8-flywheel.netdna-ssl.com/.../...tion.png
    dashiki is west African
    a1.files.collegefashion.net/.../...DcxOTI1Nzcw.jpg
    how cringy, it certainly doesn't offend me but it is embarrassing for them to have to repaint things that have existed for many centuries as "new" and "cutting edge fashion".

those hairstyles i couldn't care less about except for the fact her dreads look dreadful. it does fall into the label of rebranding except at a social level because anyone can do any hairstyle.

• It's offensive to someone that is ignorant.

I don't care what others choose to do with their hair , perhaps they admire the culture.
    You don't see white people running after black women with perms or hair weaves saying that they are deeply offended.
    That black girl is making herself look like an ass

• I never understand why it's offensive, people just need something to bitch about I guess. Some people say that it's because white people get complimented on their dreadlocks and braids and some black women get hate for it. Even then, we should get pissed at the assholes hating on the black ladies not get pissed at the white lady.

• Ugh dumbness. Even if dreadlocks were specific to black people, is it cultural misappropriation for black women to wear red lipstick? Like grow up. When you have a mixture of races and cultures within a society their styles will influence each other.

• I don't find other races wearing black hairstyles offensive, it's weird on some and cute on some.

With that said, I think you NEED to talk to people who ACTUALLY find it sacred enough to get offended and debate with them because otherwise you won't get a REAL answer to your question judging by the answers on here...

If you wanna find out how offensive it is, you need to ask people who are offended lol. Go back those instagram pages, be open-minded (don't have any preconcieved ideas) listen, and geniunely try to understand where they are coming from. Otherwise you're wasting your time asking this question.

• i don't think so.

• I love all types of hairstyles on other girls. Regardless of their race. The blond with dreds is beautiful.

• Personally I see where people don't find it offensive but the majority of people who don't are not people of color. I'm Mexican, I grew up in a Hispanic household and was constantly teased at my predominately white school for wearing my hair in tight braids on top of my head, for my thick eyebrows and brown skin- for things that are now the trend. It was never okay for me as a person of color to own my heritage, to own my quirks but when a white girl decides its trendy and not trashy, ghetto or hood then suddenly its the style? Damn right I'm gonna be pissed about it

• I honestly don't see how wearing those types of hairstyles are offensive

• Yea so what? They can do what they want with their hair.

• I swear I don't see people bitch about this off of this site.

• I think people should be able to express them selves the way they want without repercussions

• The girl is just a racist bully, I'm black African and care whether white or any race does that, would you say a black person straighting their hair or wearing European clothes is culture appropriation, no. These people are just easily butthurt. She, herself should stop wearing European clothing

• No it's not offensive one bit. It's like saying its offensive for a black person to wear their hair straight or blonde (unless they were born that way). Its your choice.

• Its very nordic to wear your hair like that

• No its not offensive, people take it as offensive because in America the blacks believe that the whites like black culture e. g. (braids, dreads, corn rows, music etc) but hate them. blame all the drama in America, personally do what you want.

• Yeah I don't really care what others do with their hair

• They are just being ignorant.
    History of dreadlocks dates back to ancient Greece and those braids are actually Dutch.

• Its perfectly ok for anyone to wear/style their hair in any way they like x

• I don't think it is at all. Black women "relax" their hair don't they? I'm not offended by that.

• Doesn't seem offensive to me.

• Amen, girl I'm with you let people look how they want who is it hurting.

• No. You should feel free to wear them if you want.

• Why should it be offensive nothing is better than the original and original is BLACK so if any other people/whites want to wear these styles they are free to wear them, and it has NOTHING to do with whites pulling off the styles better than blacks, they don't though it suits many of them, BLACKS should feel good that they set the TRENDS that others want to FOLLOW.

• i dont find it offensive. its just a hairstyle. i can go blone, so what. but i wouldn't put a caption saying "black girls are better blondes" . kylie jenner posted a picture with that hairstyle but captioned "white girls do it better" she quickly changed the caption but it still started a fued.

• People are just stupid and have to have something to bitch and moan about...

• FINALLY a poc that thinks for herself. I agree with you even though i am white and never wear those hairstyles (for fear of getting attacked). People are allowed to do whatever the hell they please with their hair. Like you said , it's just hair. And it looks damn good on whites and blacks.