Do people look down on you for not having a car?

Seems like people are always looking down on me for not having a car. I would like to have one, but I can't afford it. Couldn't afford it when I had a full time job either. That is why I am in school so I can get out and get a better job, and finally get to have a life.

People always seemed shocked when I tell them I do not own a car, it's like they expect everyone to have one :S But I am not rich, I am poor. I take the bus everywhere, thank goodness my school gives us a bus pass for cheap or else I could not get around very easily.

It just sucks because employers won't hire you unless you have a car, and potential dates look down upon you for it too :S

People always say "how come you don't drive, or have a lisence?" I have my lisence, had if for a few years, I have a good driving record. But I cannot afford a car. I don't see how it's hard for people to see that :S Car's are expensive and even working a full-time job I could not afford to have one. I just worked around my parents schedules when I lived at home.

Now that I had to move for school people seem to be judging pretty harshly. Making me feel lazy, even though it's not an easy life without a car. They should try lugging heavy groceries home. The bus does not go down my street, so I have to walk pretty far to get home. And in the rain it's not fun, or in the snow.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't have my OWN car, but I use my mom's for everything, and a couple of people have even judged me for THAT. Why would I buy my own car if there's no need for it yet?

I get more people looking down on me for not having a job, though.

• That sucks, but hey, I got looked down upon for working at McDonald's by people who have never worked in their life. And some dropped out of high school, and have never worked a day in their life. Yet apparently I am pathetic, go figure! I think people need to just get over it. I agree with you, why is it a problem you drive your mom's car? I would too if I lived at home! As long as I pay for gas my parents don't care :)

• Ha that's ridiculous. McDonald's is just another job, yet it has the stigma of being a workplace for "losers." It's not exactly easy work, either. We're all on the same boat here, just trying to get by :P

What Guys Said 7

• My whole dating life went to hell when people started caring about wether you have a car. Cars are expensive as f*** either way

• I'm pretty lucky to have had a car since I was 18. I don't look down on girls that don't have a car, I wouldn't mind driving them around, or driving them from point A to point B as long as I wasn't at work or at school. It sounds hard not having a car just by reading your post, and it reminded me how lucky I am to have one. As far as employers go, do they really check to see if you have a car?Maybe you can just tell them that you have one? Try cutting down your expenses and saving up every penny to be able to get a car sometimes soon, it will make your life so much better!

• I am planning on saving for one once I am done school. But school is expensive. I would rather put money towards that than a car. Plus my insurance is too expensive. If I worked, it would basically all go towards insurance for the car, so not worth it at this point.

• Yea that's true. Well I wish you the best!

• woah well that's a hard situation to be in.. but I don't have a car aswell and I don't really care about what my friends say. I walk to school, I walk when I wanna go somewhere, and it like it. ofcourse there are times I wish when I had a car like.. raining like crazy.. but overall, I don't care :p I am patient and with time ill have my own car

• It is a tough situation, I don't know why people judge so harshly about it. It's really not that big of a deal. Like I will get a car eventually, but I just can't afford one at the moment. I do have school to think about, and I would rather pay that off first than just drive around a money pit :P That seems to be what most cars are anyway!

• yeah well, but I don't have a job now, trying to find one while finishing school.. and I think buying a car isent going to hapen so soon hehe, more bicicle/walking for me in the nearest future :p

• i hope not lol, I don't have a car.. yet

• I don't drive right now and it sucks balls. No girl wants to date a guy with no ride.

• It can be the same for some girls :S When I was single, some guys would get upset when I told them I did not have a car. Even though I would never ask them for rides. With my current boyfriend, I never ask for rides, he offers from time to time but it's never out of his way. And it's usually to the grocery store and I make him dinner after that :P Most of the time I just take the bus :)

• yeah. man societies like that. its way too materialistic so yeah people look down on you...

• no they just help you out more, I know because I don't have a car.

What Girls Said 2

• it's pretty hard to get by thsee days without a car unless you live in the city where there is public transportation on every corner

• I agree, and even with public transportation the buses don't always go where you need to be. And sometimes they stop running after 5 pm in certain areas or cut back to like arriving once every hour or so :S It sucks!

• I never dated anyways but it is good to have a car so you don't depend on anyone for rides to work.

why don't your parents loan you any money? My parents bought me a 90 geo prism stick shift manual car that was 2.5grand when I was 15 (Im 25 now so that was 10 years ago) so I always had a car but screw dating. I didn't date until I was 23 and by then I got my parents to loan me 2g and then I got the other 4g on my own and bought a 6g 99 camry automatic. I paid my parents back in about 6 months and I worked full time too.

Just try to borrow some money if you really want a car. hopefully your parents will let you. good luck