When are shorts TOO short in your opinion?

When do you think shorts(denim to be specific) are too short and look I guess you could say...inappropriate or "trashy"?

Does it matter what type of body the girl has? thin vs average vs fat vs athletic vs funny? Or what type of legs a girl has? slender vs chubby vs toned vs flabby vs skinny?

My best friend and I wear these link

I have muscular/toned legs from running and her are more thick(less tone, but NICE ass haha). Girls seem to look at us in a not so good way

I also wear these(I think that's the particular style)

link

link

How short is too short? How short is too short for muscular/toned legs?(mind you I'm short, 5'2 1/2). Ideally I'd love for thin legs, but I'm in the process of working on that

I also do the bend over trick to make sure nothing is showing. But since I'm short, short shorts don't appear TOO short if you get what I'm saying? lol

But when are shorts too short? (show pics) or give examples por favor

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 28

• When I see your ass cheeks. That is when they're too short. But if you want attention that's what you have to do,reveal your body and have people chasing you down for your appearance.

Being 'sexy' and being 'trashy' are two different things.Although apparently many girls today seem to have issues distinguishing that.

'Booty shorts'-trashy imo. But my standards are different.

The more you reveal, the less respect you show for yourself, as a person. If you want someone to appreciate you as a person,and your personality, that clothing won't get you anywhere,except maybe laid by your local jack ass who plays on your emotions and makes you 'feel great' then gets you in bed.

Any shorts that aren't near your crotch aren't too short. If you're trying to get a job as a stripper,at hooters or any other place that devalues a woman, then go for it.

I'm not complaining, but I usually don't take women who wear booty shorts seriously.

It doesn't matter if your legs are toned,skinny, or whatever. Everyone's situation is different. What's the difference between a guy in worn out old clothes and one who dresses nicely?

What is the difference between a guy wearing sleeveless shirts and CAN show off, vs the guy who is buff but doesn't? Difference is humbleness. The latter is humble, the prior is arrogant.

I'm going to end this here. Hope I answered the question well enough for you.

• Can you stop commenting? You already lost credibility

• ignorant. Bye.

• As long as there isn't any upside-down muffin top action going on, there's a lot of leeway in length. If a slender woman wears them all the way up to the curve of her butt, so that when she bends over I can see her cheeks pop out, she's still fine as long as we're not going to meet my mom/boss/etc.

But if she looks like she's in denial that her high school outfits no longer fit, I'm afraid I'll end up having to give her rides to the paycheck loan and pawn shop before I get her back to her trailer park for some double condom action. And that takes several drinks to even consider.

Think of spandex and go by this rule: you have to be built to size, it won't shrink you down to look like you are the right size.

I'd rather be with a curvy girl who wears shape flattering clothes, than with someone who thinks I'm attracted to meat crammed in a sausage wrapper.

I know a beautiful girl with wide hips. She tries several ways to complement them. I love it most when she wears the 40's ruffled skirts that taper up to her skinny waist, than when she slinks around in cat suit pants. Well, maybe I like her in those too... . I like it most when she dresses suggestively, more than confession-ally.

On the other end of the scale, if you're wearing surfer shorts, I tend to think you're more of the one-of-the-guys type tomboys. If I can tell you're attractive enough to warrant a makeover, and it might bring you out of your shell, I'd go for it. Most of the time dressing like a guy has the wedding ring effect: it makes you invisible to most single men.

The trick is to find shorts that fit your curves, that make a guy *wish* they were just a little bit shorter so he could see heaven... ones that require him to, and want to, work for it.

• I think if your butt is hanging out then their too short. If her butt is covered then I don't care how short they are haha.

• I think a girl has a lot of things to consider concerning fashion. There's a balance a girl should aspire to. Short shorts are awesome, but it may be lacking in intrigue and mystery. Doesn't leave much to the imagination -yet that sort of style has a certain brashness to it that's also appealing. It all depends on what balance a girl's trying to achieve.

I like a girl in short shorts when she's with me, and only with me. For public venues, I think a flowing, silky dress that contours enough of the surface area of her curves is best.

• Ass hanging out.

• it depends on the body type. with well-kept tone legs you can basically run around in a g-string and the only complaints you'll get are from jealous women.

• those shorts seem fine although I would say they are right on the line for being too short. although I love short shorts and I don't mind seeing ass hanging out as long as she's attractive enough for it. although, I don't really like seeing super short shorts on girls in the presence of children or old people. she just looks too slutty in that case. but at a party or even in public at certain times of the night in certain areas I think its fine. like I said I think those shorts are fine and any shorts as long as the ass isn't hanging out, but I do think those are close to being too short.

• I say...if you got the legs...FLAUNT IT! Turn some heads and make them gals jealous! (god I love summer :D)

• It's all about body type.. Short shorts are perfectly acceptable if you have the nice thin-enough, healthy, muscular-is-a-plus body type; but if you have fat, flabby legs, you might wish to consider different pants if you were going for the 'attractive , and not just for people with a particular fetish' kind of look..

And too short? The ones where you go 'why are you even wearing pants if you could've just gone in underwear and it would still look the same?' is too short.. See pics in upsyndrome's post.

Well.. Unless you WANTED to look trashy, that is..

• Never really thought about this but if I'd just casually then I think it's fine as looking as they don't look so short they could be underwear pool. I actually seen a girl just the other day who had shorts that shown her ass checks, she had ass! Too :P. I guess it is isn't the most appropriate bit it can look very hot. I think the skinnier the girl is, the more they can usually getey away with without looking to sexual

• Usually if the pockets are showing

• My girlfriend actually has these shorts that the style is supposed to show the pockets hanging below that short line. It sort of frustrates me looking at them.

• They can be a short as you want, depending on the styling. If they fit well and don't look ike you're trying to show off your hips and behind, , even the shortest denim looks fine. But if they're very tight, even knee length looks a little questionalbe, imao.

• When your ass is hanging out, they are too short. However, exceptions will always be made in the bedroom. No clothes at all is welcome there of course. :P

And in my opinion average to skinny girls wear them the best. They seem to have less problems of running the risk of their ass hanging out. lol Also, Athletes wear them awesomely.

• If they are cut up from the crotch, it looks a little odd.

• Girls that wear those shorts are said to be sexually promiscuous, if you catch my drift...

Nah, I think shorts are too short when they're like an inch wide like some girls wear. How can that even be comfortable?

• If it's illegal for (whatever guy is looking) to have sex with her, they are too short.

If the girl is more attractive than (whatever girl is looking) they are too short.

If it's his daughter, they are too short.

If she's ugly, they are too short.

If they are on a guy, they are too short.

Wait... oh, you wanted this to be based on the length of the pants? Sorry hon, it doesn't work that way...

• haha I get what you're saying. People find any justification and it's really subjective

• Right. Pretty much if the observer "likes" what he/she sees and it doesn't make him/her feel bad for whatever reason, they aren't too short anymore.

• When worn in inappropriate surroundings: the ones on the pic are perfect during your free time, but not at school or offfice.

On a promenade along the seaside or somewhere in a Yellowstone Park they might be shorter even.

• I don't let my girlfriend wear the ones that show her butt cheeks because I feel they attract to many pervs. To be honest though if she wasn't my girlfriend then even these would be fine link

• From front, it does not matter that much. But when you see the wrinkle of where your butt ends, that looks bad. Simply shameless even in the "current" society.

• I think as long as they don't look like a swimwear it should be fine.

• if your butt is seen in any way, shape, or form

• those aren't anything out of the usual. they're fine. and if you do have a NICE ass then wear em like you invented them. as long as they remain shorts and not underwear lol

• There is no too short for girls .. but guys that look like daisy duke need to have life explained to them =(

• No such thing...

• I think short shorts on women are hot and not trashy at all. They tell me that the girl is confident in her appearance. With that said there are some occasions where they aren't appropriate (work, formal events). They should always cover your cheeks too.

• Personally I think those are the perfect length for a girl with nice legs. Of course they have to fit right. Shorts should hug the legs. When the girl has like, stick thin legs so the shorts hang loosely around her thighs rather than hugging them, that just looks weird.

• any girl can find shorts that hug their legs surely

I think people on here think the shorts are super short, but they forget that I'm short(which I mentioned in my post). No ass is showing, so it's probably not what you're thinking

• If ass were showing it would be bad.

• If you can see her butt then no go

I think the last two you showed a too short

This is just a prefrence but I never liked the shorts with the pocket lining hanging out.

Like did she cut up her jeans to make shorts? or is she trying to make it more noticeable that her shorts are really really short?

• I agree with the person above.

If your ass is hanging out it just looks trashy in my opinion.

Also the girls probably look at you because those kind of shorts do look like you are drawing attention to yourself. Just sayin.

• And some girls have brains :P

• lol it's up to you

• When your wenis is showing

What Girls Said 41

• Where I'm from, so many of us girls wear Daisy Dukes. They are comfortable and are good for when you are riding horses or 4-wheeling...doing a lot of "country" things really, so we wear shorts A LOT. But, there are differences in the types of daisy dukes here, some girls take it to the extreme and then look all trashy, no matter what the body type...example:

link She just looks like a slut and trashy at that...sadly some girls do that here.

This is what I wear, and a majority of the girls around here. link link

The ones you wear honestly don't look that bad to me. As you can tell, I wear similar lengths. As long as your butt doesn't show when you bend over, then it's not that bad.

• If I can see genitals...or ass cheeks...that would be too much.

• When your vagina is showing.

• When they look like what I saw on the street tonight! OMG! I thought I was gonna puke!

Big gal, tank top, with spagetti straps, black short, short, shorts that you could see her teal colored panties that were barely covering her who-ha, with cheeks way hanging out. Did I mention she was a BIG girl? Probably 260, 5'4", but she had a cute face. And the short, shorts came up like french cut panties...OMG!

BTW, were you planning on moving in those shorts? Sitting, bending...can't do that in those shorts. Be careful...

• lmao

"And the short, shorts came up like french cut panties...OMG! "

• Yes...I could not eat my supper tonight. Sad really. :D

• Yes...and I couldn't eat my supper tonight, not after that. You, on the other hand, will not have the problem that she has. Thank goodness! :D

• well I don't really mind if a girl wears underwear-like shorts,or leggings as pants and things like that-it's just that society makes us view those girls in a bad way-short shorts don't make you a slut-they just make you not-church-material,which isn't a bad thing. so,wear shorts as short as you want. but,if your butt is hanging out of them-that just isn't sanitary,but-your choice.

• Really as long as private parts are not showing and you make them look good there should be no issues or concerns. Bugling over-lay flab/fat those are concerns but firm/ fit/ lean and tan and well toned ...as long as no private parts can be seen when bending or sitting or stepping than who cares and /or who has the right to say anything. If your a sexy person you have every right to flaunt what you've worked hard to get and maintain.

And for the record: I'm a professional and work in an Office of fortune 100 company. I'm being 100% honest in my reply.

• The shorts in your links are completely normal here.

Girls here wear Daisy Duke's too: link link

Honestly, if you have a good body you're less likely to look trashy provided the rest of your clothes are classy. For example, lots of girls here do a boho look and that coupled with shorts (even if they show a bit of their butts) looks good.

I'm the same as you. If I can't bend over comfortably, I won't wear them.

• When they start to look like cheekies or a thong.. basicly any typr of underwear.

• they look alright. if the butt cheeks are hanging out or if you can see that crease on the back of your upper thigh just below the butt, then tha'ts probably too short. like what G-Daz said, skinnier/flat girls tend to get away with low-plunging tops, super short shorts & tight clothing without looking too sexual, as compared to those with curves, boobs and/or butt

• WOW! Look who favored us with her presence! lol..I doubt that any shorts would be too short for you..but no doubt you know best! Great to have you back!?..<3<3<3=D

• lol! glad to be back!

• (:(:(:...<3<3<3=D

• Nothing wrong with showing some leg if you have it, just as long as your butt cheeks don't show it should be fine :)

• HIIII. I kinda think those shorts are too short. I mean I have some but I have really strict parents who think I'm a slut if I wear those :\

They don't seem too bad :)

• if you notice people staring at you when you wear them, your shorts are probably too short.

• An example of too short would be American apparel disco pants (as cool as they are). Not that I'm afraid to wear them, but I don't like the idea of my ass hanging out link link

• When you can see up them they are too short as a woman ide rather not see other womans parts thanks..

• it's too short when you can see ass cheeks hanging out.

• I would say those shorts are too short but personally I hate that type of shorts on all women I think they are really unflattering and the only body type that looks okay in them is the typical model body. I think girls should stick to dresses/skirts/ skorts or shorts that are more like this: link simply because they are more flattering. Obviously guys will like it when girls wear shorts like the ones you wear because it shows a lot of skin, when I see girls in denim short shorts I don't really care like I would never look her up and down and give her dirty looks I would probably think she would look so much better in a different type of shorts but each to their own.

• The shorts you linked are indeed very short, but in the summer I think they're still acceptable. It's when your butt cheeks are exposed or you can see a hairline that they become too short.

• if your top covers them completely so that it looks like you havnt got anything on underneath, that's too short. as long as you can see them, your fine! if they are so MAJORLY short that your top does cover them, try changing into a cropped top (if you feel comforable wearing it) so that you can see them, and put tights on underneath so that you don't look like a hooker ;)

• I think when you are able to see the line under her butt cheek the shorts ARE TOO SHORT. Its doesn't matter what kind of body she has. There is a time an place for everything.

• they're too short when you can see ass cheek.

they're too tight when you can see camel toe.

• butt-cheeks peeking out the bottom of shorts is a big -no-no.

especially if the person has cellulite.

it's nasty :s

• If your butt cheeks are slipping out, I'd rather not see.

I can't tell you how many times I've groped my cousins trying to keep their cheeks away from prying eyes. It's like I have to stick my hand RIGHT up their behinds to pull their shorts down. That's too short.

• Those are normal and I wear them all the time. (im short too haha) its too short when you can see your butt link

• Oh, there is nothing wrong with those. They aretoo short when then can. Be called a belt, though they are still quite sexy. :p

• Eh yeah I couldn't find a great picture because they were either really extreme or not short at all

That was the closest I could find

The fourth picture in the best answer is more like what I meant

• If you can see the pockets. To me, girls with bigger legs should totally wear short shorts- they just have to wear them right.

• When your a$$ cheeks are hanging.

• If you're bigger and have cellulite, I think you have to use your best judgement. But mainly, shorts are too short when you start to see your butt cheeks:)

• When are shorts too short? When your arse sticks out the bottom.

• When you can see someone's butt cheek! :)

If you have nice legs show them. The girls that are looking at you are probably jealous.

• When it shows their butt.

• I don't like my shorts to show anything either. I'm also short (5' 1"). I think there should be some room for the imagination to roam.

• More from Girls
    11