Do you consider 40+ inch hips too big for a 5'1 girl?

Hi, I'm 17 years old and my height is 5'1. I have a 28/29 inch waist and 41/42 inch hips. My mum was saying the other day how my hip measurement is really big for someone my age and height, and that those kind of measurements on a short person would make them look quite stumpy and clothes wouldn't look right on them! Do you think hips bigger than 40 inches are too big, especially for someone my height? Thanks :)

Most Helpful Guy

• Those are damn big.

But your waist-hip ratio is good.

Sooo ... Its hard for me to say. I'd have to see you to know.

What Guys Said 3

• If the size of your hips bother you, might I suggest wearing a loose fitting dress? I for one enjoy big hips. So keep rocking them!

• Too big for my taste, yes.

• Your mom shouldn't be saying such things. You're short, so clothes can't look on you as they would on a model but at your height it is better to have bigger hips. If a girl is short with no curves, she looks like a boy. If she has hips, she looks more feminine. I bet you look cute, don't worry about it.

• Aww thanks for your answer. My mum has big hips, but she was saying that stuff because when she was my age her hips were quite a lot smaller than mine even though she was curvy, so she thinks my hip size is quite big for someone my height and age. I really like big hips though but I was just wondering about other people's opinions :) xx

What Girls Said 5

• yes they are very big. So is your waist. I'm a little shorter than you, and my waist is 24", hips 34". You should aim for somewhere in that range. It would be a good idea to lose at least 3 inches off each.

• You're hips are okay but I would rather worry about your waist... Fat on your stomach is unhealthier than on your hips.

• Yeah, you have biggish hips for your height, but that doesn't give your mom the right to be so mean and critical. You would probably rock pencil skirts and clothes that are fitted in the waist to show of your waist/hip ratio.

• did you measure just the hips not your butt? having wide hips could just be your body shape. and your young so you still have time to grow and if you get taller it can even out

• Yes you have big hips for your hieght.