Another girl likes my boyfriend ...How can I respond?

First of all, this kind of thing happens all the time. Why wouldn't it? I love my boyfriend and find him attractive why wouldn't other girls find him attractive too?

He's currently taking classes, and there's a girl in one of them who invited him over to a study session with him. I haven't met her or anything.

He came home yesterday and said that she was hitting on him. More appropriately, that she made an innuendo toward him and that she wanted to kiss him.

I didn't really know what to say. I think it's a sign of good trust that he tells me about her - he has told me about many other girls who have hit on him or flirted with him. One girl did so for about a month; he lived with her at the time. And he told me about it. He also told me that the one time she asked if he and I were dating, he didn't answer her. She talked to him everyday, for hours, and made sexual innuendos; the other housemates noticed it too.

I felt uncomfortable with the situation, and I really wished he would have told her about us, but I didn't press it. I tried to be supportive of him instead, of his honesty with me. And none of us could help the situation, because he had to see her everyday. He had no choice.

I know it's up to him what happens with this girl from his class. He is going over to study with her again tonight. It makes me anxious, but it's not fair to put that on him. It is up to him how to handle the situation.

What I want to know is can I respond to him when he tells me these things? When he tells me that he's going to see a girl who wanted to kiss him yesterday? What does he want to come home to with me? I want to listen, to be a good listener and help him feel like he can tell me anything. Should I ask him questions? Should I give suggestions - such as "does she know we're engaged? Maybe it would be a good idea to tell her that, so she won't feel led on." Should I say something funny but true, like "of course she thinks you're hot! Who wouldn't?" or "Well, she obviously has good taste." Or should I just quietly listen? In other words...

What does a guy want to hear when he confides in his girlfriend that other girls are flirting with him? How can I support him? What does he need from me?

Thank you.

Well, when I asked him about how his study night went, he wouldn't answer me. I tried to let it go, but I eventually asked him outright if that girl had done anything, if she kissed him. He wouldn't answer me. I tried to let it go. They had study
Session planned for next night but she had to cancel. Then Monday night was our date night. So they're meeting again tonight. I am so anxious I can't even sleep. He was more distant from me this week but he gets that way sometimes.
Happy update: I talked to him before he went to his study session tonight, told him how he is special to me and how I love him, and said I don't want to lose that with him, that that's where my fear about the other girl comes from. So I said,
"Please don't let her do anything." He didn't really answer, just gave me a kiss and left... He came home early from their session, said she'd tried to make out with him, and he refused to and said, "I have a girlfriend" several times to her, and finally
Left because it got too uncomfortable. He said he's going to ask to change partners tomorrow, and she knows it too. :-) So I tried to be tender with him, and we laughed together before he went to bed. Thank you for the advice, everyone! :-)

Most Helpful Girl

• I think if he reallt cared about your feelings, he'd take into account the fact that you're uncomfortable with this studying situation. I'm sure that there are lots of uglier, just-as-capable people in his class. If studying with her is unavoidable, like they are assigned parteners or something, it's completely inappropriate for them to be in each others' rooms or apartment, etc. There are plenty of public places like the library, the student center, plopped on a square of grass in the main outside hangout of campus, where they could be studying.

He tells you these things all the time because wants you to be jealous. He wants you to know that girls find him desirable so you don't forget how "lucky" you are. There's a difference from this and him just being honest with you so he doesn't feel like he's hiding things from you. If he was JUST being honest with you, he wouldn't even allow himself to be in avoidable tempting situations, like the studying situation.

He doesn't sound like a guy that's right for you. Even if he's 100 percent just being honest with you, you seem like you need a man that would never ever be in a situation or allow himself to be in a situation that would make you feel vulnerable. You deserve it!

• That is a REALLY good point about location. I didn't even think about that. I wonder - if they studied in a public place, would that make it a less tempting situation for him? That is such a good point. I don't think he should let himself get into that kind of situation either.

• So how did it go??

• It went okay. :) Ever since he came home that day after he turned her down, and the next day when he said she wouldn't stop staring at him in class, he hasn't mentioned her since.