Do lunges/squats make your butt smaller or bigger?

Out of curiosity, do they make your butt smaller or bigger? I've added them to my workout regimen and I rather not have a big butt. If all it does is shape and tone it, that's fine, but I don't want a big butt:/ I have muscular thighs if that counts! So do lunges make your butt bigger or... Show More

Most Helpful Girl

• Not bigger per say, just more toned.

I wish I could post a picture of my sister's butt. I seriously want it! She attributes its awesome shape from squats/lunges and dancing... So I wouldn't necessarily say lunges and squats make your backside "bigger or smaller," but it WILL look more toned and in shape. Even my ass looks noticeably different than before I started working out regularly.

To maximize squats/lunges, use free weights and do bicep curls or shoulder raises as you're doing the movement. It will burn more calories than just a squat/lunge alone, making it more effective.