Do lunges/squats make your butt smaller or bigger?

Out of curiosity, do they make your butt smaller or bigger?

I've added them to my workout regimen and I rather not have a big butt. If all it does is shape and tone it, that's fine, but I don't want a big butt:/ I have muscular thighs if that counts!

So do lunges make your butt bigger or smaller?

Do squats make your butt bigger or smaller?

Do wall-sits make your butt bigger or smaller?

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• Not bigger per say, just more toned.

I wish I could post a picture of my sister's butt. I seriously want it! She attributes its awesome shape from squats/lunges and dancing... So I wouldn't necessarily say lunges and squats make your backside "bigger or smaller," but it WILL look more toned and in shape. Even my ass looks noticeably different than before I started working out regularly.

To maximize squats/lunges, use free weights and do bicep curls or shoulder raises as you're doing the movement. It will burn more calories than just a squat/lunge alone, making it more effective.

What Guys Said 4

• Increased muscle mass comes not from the exercises itself but from how frequently it's worked, the level of resistance, and the amount of reps. Bodybuilders will only work the same muscle group once a week. People just looking for toning will do the same exercises as bodybuilders but work it 3-4 times a week. Bodybuilders will do 5 sets of 5 reps with the bar loaded up with the maximum amount of weigh tthey can possibly handle. People looking for toning will do 15 reps per set with only a little bit of added resistance. Same exercises, different results, and it comes from the rest you give it, amount of resistance, and reps. That being said, if you perform any sort of resistance training on the same muscle group with less than 48 hours rest, you are risking severe muscle injuries that you may not ever be able to fully recover from.

• Not entirely sure. Worst case senario I could see your butt maybe getting a little bigger, but that is worst case. I used to do a lot of squats and lunges and I felt that my butt got smaller.

• They're low intensity so they'll build lean muscle which won't get too bulky, just toned. If your butt is small it might get bigger and if it gets big it might get smaller. Otherwise, It'll probably just sculpt the shape a bit.

• I think it makes your ass more toned. Either way, it's fun to watch.

What Girls Said 3

• I've added them to my routine recently...they're supposed to make your gluteal muscles more firm! I'll take that over lumpy any day! lol

• Those all build muscle, so I would assume you'll get bigger.

• I think it makes your butt tighter