Selecting and Promoting Moderators: More about GAG Moderation!

Moderators help keep the GAG community a helpful and safe environment for everyone. They are volunteer users who make recommendations to the admins regarding content which should be removed from the site. Moderators temporarily hide content that violates the guidelines of the site until an admin can review it.

There are 3 types of moderators:

Moderator
Super Moderator
Uber Moderator

There are also admin users:

GirlsAskGuys Admin Staff

More information about moderation and moderators can be found here.

How to become a GAG Mod?

There are several factors considered while appointing Mod Status.

1. Xper level 5+: A Mod should know the "GAG culture" and how the site works. By Xper Level 5, a user should be well aware this as well as what the posting guidelines are. This is why only xper level 5+ users are considered when selecting moderators.

2. Report success ratio: This is one of the most important criteria that is looked at when deciding who would make a good moderator. When a user reports posts that they feel violates the guidelines of the site, the reported post is evaluated by the admins who then decides to either remove or reinstate the post. The success rate on reports by each user is calculated by the system automatically. A user with a high percentage success rate on reports is more likely to get a moderator invite.

3. Being a top user: When deciding who should become a moderator, it is also important to look for users who are active on the site and log in frequently, these are considered "top users." They are users who are active and post interesting, informational, or helpful content. Being an active member and contributing to the site is an important aspect of being a moderator. We like to see users who are engaged in the GirlsAskGuys community and interacting in a positive way with other users.

4. Communicating clearly with other members: It is important to show your ability to communicate effectively with other members. Users who strive to help others and conduct themselves clearly on the site are more likely to be noticed for possible moderator status. It's also great to see users who can handle themselves calmly in debates and show good judgement. Objectivity is something that is important for moderators. Everyone has their own opinions, views, and beliefs on certain topics. However, you can still voice those values to someone without making it personal, or being offensive.

5. Providing quality questions and opinions: Posting content that is well thought out and in-depth rather than one or two word answers is what makes a user stand out and be considered for possible moderator status. Elaborate on your posts and make sure it is helpful, insightful and easily understandable. Similarly, when asking questions, make sure it is valuable, interesting, and grammatically correct. These are all factors that are taken into account when choosing moderators.

SuperMod and UberMod Promotions

Other than simply deciding who to extend moderator invitations to, it is also important to look at the current moderators activities to gauge who should be promoted. There is criteria that goes into these decisions as well.

1. Hide success ratio: When a Moderator hides a post on the site, the Admins will review it and make a final decision. Having a high hide success ratio means that a lot of the posts a Moderator has hidden has been removed by the admins. If an admin is constantly having to reinstate posts hidden by a moderator, that moderator is less likely to be considered for promotion to super mod or uber mod and may even lose their mod status.

2. Report success ratio: Although regular mods cannot hide questions or myTakes they should still keep reporting these posts so that they demonstrate their knowledge about which questions/myTakes do not meet the GAG guidelines. A moderator with a high report success ratio for questions is more likely to be promoted to super moderator.

3. Being a helpful mod: Engaging with the site in positive ways, establishing a good relationship with the community, and seeking to help other users with either site-related or personal questions is a great quality for a mod to have. These mods are more likely to be promoted.

As you can see, there are many factors that determine whether or not a user will be invited to be a moderator. Of course, users can also request to become a moderator and the admins then look into their report success ratio as well as their activity around the community before deciding if they should become a moderator or not. If you are interested in becoming a moderator, you can contact us. If you want to see who the current members are on the moderation team, check out the FAQ here.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 16

• Mods and Admins, you are all appreciated! Thanks for putting up with us. :)

• There is no way I become a "moderator" I FUCKING HATE CENSORSHIP!

• Wow, useful take! I hope to one day be a super moderator, maybe even an uber moderator! :)

• I love this! :)

• Okie dokie

• I want to be a mod!

• Definitely been a mod for up to 2 years now thanks again for the opportunity :).

• Haha, I'd like to be a moderator but I think we all know that will probably never happen. LOL

• ill put in the wooord yo

• I don't have it yet. I just got a message from them:

Congratulations - you have been selected to become a member of the GirlsAskGuys moderation team! We have numerous requests and inquiries from members applying for mod status all the time, so this is quite an honor

Please send a message to the GirlsAskGuys user and let us know if you are interested in becoming a Moderator. We will then send you the guidelines so that you can get started.

We award our most helpful Moderators every month with a $25 Amazon giftcard, letting them know we noticed their high removal success rate and their helping our community navigate the site and learn what G@G is all about!

If you have any questions about Moderators that our FAQ Page doesn't answer, please don't hesitate to ask!

Thank you for being a top GAGer!

• @i_am_repulsive oh nice! That's rad! :)

• people are not paid for the job. virtual promotion is not real life promotion so whats the point?
    really see no benefit

• Well, there's one thing that I like a lot about being a mod Kangy, that is: when you see a post that is really offensive to a user or a group you can hide it right away. Often before the user gets a really bad feeling from it.
      Imagine somone would most an opinion to a question of you saying "you Asian bitch just jump into the Chinese Sea okay"... than I'd be happy I could hide that bomb immediately!
      Apart from that, it's not about being proud to be a mod, that's true. But I like being on GAG and appreciate the confidence the community has in me :D

• LOL @ @hans222 's explanation haha great 😁

• It's voluntary dear girl :) those doing it are part of the community to keep the members safe from various situations. It is by itself a rise in life keeping your backyard clean :D :)

• As far as aware these roles are not rewarded in any way, so what exactly is the point to becoming a mod? Where's the incentive?

If the answer is "you'll keep the website civil and that's its own reward", then I thoroughly LOL at the whole thing.

• Maybe so but we get that gift card for sitting online, reporting bad posts. It's really easy so it's a decent reward for minimal work.

• Maybe I'd appreciate moderators more if the reporting wasn't so kindergartenesque in terms of what is considered "bad".

It would be very out of character for me to partake in this.

• Really useful things to know so we can have a heads up on the requirements if any of us have an interest. 😊

• Hmmmm... much like your other rules you seem to follow them when it suits you only. Many mods don't match those criteria ion my opinion and #3 can just be replaced by Popular Users.

The limited word answers is one that many are guilty of. It seems they only answer to appear engaged. The answer is as generic and lacking in insight as a cut-to-size innersole.

However, there are some good mods who are fair and who are active and engaging with the users and the site. Probably more good than bad.

• Thanks for the Take. I just wonder. I have seen lately. What is 'Editor' badge?

• Very good take on the descriptions of the different Moderators!! Hopefully this will help clear up any questions anyone had about being a Mod

• Super easy and super clear! TY for the good information!

• nice take I'm also wanting to move up

What Guys Said 26

• Excellent insight on GaG moderation.

Too many people think that we have the power to see anonymous people, see private profiles, and have the power to delete profiles.

Us GaG moderators are regular users, who contribute to the site as well. Don't think we are some glorious untouchable users! :-D

• Somebody hand this man an MHO! hahaha :") Nicely done Mate :)

• Hahahaha much obliged Bud :) and yeah, we ought to be careful with that handshake, its top secret, best watch out hey mate haha

• Exactly! I've had things removed as a moderator, yet I never complain! We're certainly not untouchable.

• I got a message telling me I was selected to be a mod, but I declined, cause I wouldn't be doing anything since I don't like reporting posts or comments, unless they have a sexual image, I would allow everything since it's freedom of speech. There are some posts here that get deleted that I would never have reported. I may not agree with what they're saying, but they have the right to post that.
    That's why I didn't wanna become a mod, even though I appreciate the fact that they selected me.

• @JackKerouac77 FOR ADMIN! OR
    LET THE TEARS FLYYYYYY

• I want to become one.

• If I was a site moderator and said publicly I just visited your profile and I realized that I should talk to you anymore after reading your views which depicts your real intentions, then accused you of stalking (we've never spoken before) then blocked you... would you think that was bad form on my part as a moderator?
    Remember mods can't trawl through your profile and look at your comments if they're pretty much all anon anyway. If I get censored for less offensive member posts than that- then mods should too! It's the principle, not the offense.
    Then if the user messages girlsaskguys about the issue and gets no response, would you consider that acceptable? Clearly you do.
    The moderator who did this has been promoted. I think this is shockingly bad form all in all.
    The way I see it mods should set the standard, not get defensive then use their status to engage in petty tactics in an attempt to damage your reputation. As a user you operate within the framework and it often works against you. All this means more likely users will throw the community guidelines out of the window and that compromises the usability of the site and your mission statement.
    If you think this opinion is offensive, antagonistic, a member post or whatever other category it would fit in for you to remove it, then I'll be another long term member and guru with a lot of xper who walks away.

• No, this post is neither offensive, nor antagonistic, non member post, nor nonsense. I'm pretty sure it's fine according to the guidelines.

Anyways,

""If I was a site moderator and said publicly I just visited your profile and I realized that I should talk to you anymore after reading your views which depicts your real intentions, then accused you of stalking (we've never spoken before) then blocked you... would you think that was bad form on my part as a moderator?""

To be fair, that is their own individual choice to determine whom they want to interact with or not, although this isn't really a public thing. I'd probably would have resolved this in PM, although I don't get into conflicts like this in the first place (I have no one blocked :P )

But yes, if someone makes a "member post" like " @Mesonfielde is a total douche whiteknighting ___[insert cuss words here]___", that'll get removed whether it's posted by a mod or not. This is why objectivity is important.

• For the record, before I go, I don't hate mods, I just hate mods who abuse their power and behave like dickheads.

• "And it's no surprise that I'm happy after blocking him because now, that anon (25-27) guy doesn't offend me in my questions which literally means that it was him. And now he can not do this anymore, that's why he's making this a big deal."
      Bullshit. If he'd filtered anon answers that would have been the solution in the first place. This stalking thing makes no sense to anyone with any logic and it's antagonistic, listening GaG? It just makes no sense.

• It looks like there is something important missing from this. A precise statement of who to report to and how. I have a good idea, but it needs to be written here in exact terms.

• Is this paid at all?

• pick me. PICK ME!
    it is my aim to make this a community of love, laughter, and helpful answers.

• Does a sharp wit get you in?

• Thank you admin staff and the development team for giving me opportunity to become a part of the mod team and giving me this prestigious (U) badge. I hope I contributed my efforts to keep this place clean and more friendly and animated. I know my last month didn't end well as a moderator and this month I was not that active because of exams but yeah I'm back with the full spirit.

So many mods left nowadays, so I hope we can have some great new members here and I hope this take will help them :)

Stay awesome!

• @mesonfielde

"People do it all the time so you're not alone, (if that's what you were doing) but you're a mod.. tututut."
      -he hates mods. He was just trying too hard to incite me. I even removed his antagonistic posts. Those were very disgusting. Having 16% doesn't mean that you are smart. Error_204 had 19% MHO and Virulent had 3% MHO but still the fact is, they were the same guy.

And it's no surprise that I'm happy after blocking him because now, that anon (25-27) guy doesn't offend me in my questions which literally means that it was him. And now he can not do this anymore, that's why he's making this a big deal. Even you know that how old this thing is.

And you've read all this, where's that "mod" thing came in that conversation? It was just about literature. But he has issues. And you don't know how many questions he asked after that incident targeting me and repoted to admins about my exoneration from the mod team.

But at last, truth shall prevail.

• Can a moderator troll on a daily basis and also be biased?

• Does MHO percentage count?

• Great take this one , enjoying moderator role😊

• I guess I'm not qualified *sigh*

LOL!

• feels good to be Canadian, and a mod

• "providing quality questions and opinions" ... okay there goes my chance of being a moderator.

• You literally have the quality :)

• @YourFutureEx thanks bro, in some opinions I do invest time in order to give a helpful opinion, but I also troll some questions by giving completely useless or funny opinion.

• Ditto lol but constructively :)

• None of these requirements or ranks will matter when I have plotted my way to GaG domination one step at a time.

Muahahahahaha...

iambrony.steeph.tp-radio.de/.../...%20plotting.gif

• @Rcjh1987 I had to make that comment twice because the first time I made it to the wrong person. *facepalm*

Well, here it's quarter past 1 and I'm in work so GaG domination scheme number 1 will have to be edited later.

• oh haha ok so I wasn't dreaming lol

• A key requirement is that you have to be very liberial and politically correct.

• The requirements needed are those stated in the take.

• @PT1911

I knooooow that feel. It's like how many offensive remarks are needed grrrr! I haven't been on the other side of things so I have no idea how it works at all. Only ~speculation~ Good on you for reporting though!

Ultimately its your choice so good luck where ever you decide to wander to!

• I have reported obviously offensive racial question about whites. Nothing happened. A few hours late I posted the same question but switched the word black for the word white. That oist was taken down immediatley. Then I created a question asking why there was such a difference and that it was wrong amd linked to the original post that was offensive. That new post was also taken down. Three days later, after the question had run its course, the original offensive post was finally taken down.

There is a clear bias and there is a clear bias among some members to push their agenda which is either sex related or race related. If you are traditional or religious expect to be attacked but dont you dare attack them or they swarm with reports.

I get it. It is biased here. Just don't piss on me and tell me it is raining.

• I WILL NOT DEACTIVATE IF GIVEN THE ADMIN POSITION IN 10 MINUTES!

THIS IS NOT EXTORTION

geniebelt.com/.../gun-to-head.jpg

• Its a Popularity contest.

• I wish I was a popular goldfish

• LOL I get down voted for telling the truth? There are more female mods then male mods. But then again
      Most female users say or do just about anything they want.

• Still infamous :( even after being a mod.

• More from Guys
    6