Why I Block People on G@G

I am a chronic blocker.Why I Block People on G@G

I admit it. I block people the second I think our interaction is going to be uselessly negative. I bring this up because a few times I have had people jump from account to account or have another G@Ger approach me after I've made the decision to block them, essentially to attack me on the grounds that I wrongfully blocked somebody for having a differing opinion - but I would like to explain myself.

I block people when I feel that their comments to me are antagonistic or if I feel their opinions are uninformative (meaning they are meant more for the sake of argument or controversy). A lot of people go off on tangeants that don't relate at all to what the topic of discussion is and approach it in a way that suggests they're really only there to argue, which is something I try to keep away from my work. I won't lie and say I haven't blocked somebody for the sake of ending an annoying argument or for the sake of avoiding annoyance, but all in all I make a point to be conscious of who I block, because I am open to multiple opinions and debate - I'm simply not open to unnecessary controversy that serves no benefit to anybody. I do however take the comments that I block people based solely on their difference of opinion to heart, and while I don't entirely agree with that, I will use it positively to make sure that this is something I never do in the future.

... However, at the same time, I have an itchy blocker-finger.

If I clock a G@Ger who I recognize as being somebody who makes really foul, crude, or offensive comments, I will block them long before they ever interact directly with me. Why? Because I don't need those kinds of people lurking around the things I work hard on, because when I post questions or takes, I post them with the intention of them being helpful to the reader. Knowing that there are people on G@G who get a kick out of bringing nothing but negativity to takes and questions, I make an equally conscious effort to try and keep them out of something that is intended to be positive.

So, if anybody were to ask me why I block other users so quickly, to sum it all up into a single point, its this: I block people when I feel they are going to bring something negative to the conversation - not because they don't agree with me or because they don't like me or what I have to say. If somebody wants to challenge my opinion, that's fine, so long as they aren't a complete jerk about it I'm happy to debate a subject with anybody.

Have a good Friday evening everybody and thanks for reading my little diatribe.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 34

• I only blocked one person because she was bitching for not liking my opinion.
    If you can't handle negative opinions, don't ask for opinions.

The rest blocked me as a sign of defeat since they couldn't win an argument. They wanted to have the last word just to make it seem like they won.

• Once again, it's less about opposing opinions as it is people being uselessly negative. However, I can see your point.

• lulz... i've blocked you prior since i didn't care about any "victory", just you're a bore who clearly has no friends in the outside world and cannot interact without people properly.. haha..

• @mexborough You blocked me? Didn't even notice, I actually keep a list of people that have.
      As for me boring you, you don't have to respond.
      I'm not sure how the number of friends I have has anything to do with this. I'm on here to ask and answer questions and at times write myTakes which apparently a lot of people think are quite good.
      If you don't like me that's your problem. I'm not here to make friends.

• I want the people who blocked me to come out and hash things out lol. as in come to a conflict resolution :P like seriously why the hate! there are worse fuckers than me on the internet LOL 😂

• I have thoughts along the same lines in a take I wrote - Good job
    www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a11199-to-block-or-not-to-block

• Thanks, I'll read it.

• Why I block people ok

1. they're annoying.
    2. I don't feel like dealing with idiots.
    3. to stop a conflict before it happens.
    4. because I feel like it.

• I've only blocked people who are chronic instigators. People who I know don't care about analyzing opinions and just want to argue all day.

• I think that the block feature is for people with PTSD who get triggered by clapping or the word rape like feminists do who take antidepressants. If you can't cope with words on a screen, how can you cope with real life? The internet is elementary in comparison.

• I didn't bother reading any of this. I just came her so you can block me.

• How many are in the cooler as of now?

• Unfortunately you are right and wrong at the some time.
    People deserve chances, no matter who they are or what they look like. AND every one has a right to their own opinion no matter what they say. Yes you can ignore them but every one has a right to be heard

• Most people don't care why you block people.
    Anyone who does shouldn't.

• Well apparently you cared enough to read it and comment, good enough for me and adds to my takes numbers. So thanks.

• Dont get heated up lol... we dont want you blocking any of us here

• I can't imagine a moody website without blocks or moderation.

• oh dang im probably already blocked lol

• Usually with blocking I tend to avoid it unless I'm being outright relentlessly hounded by them (which has happened to me a few times).

I know for a fact that people have blocked me before I've even said anything to them, because I've attempted to reply to people, only to have noticed they've already done the deed for me. Mea culpa, I suppose.

• "I block people when I feel that their comments to me are antagonistic or if I feel their opinions are uninformative (meaning they are meant more for the sake of argument or controversy)" You say but at the say time you say have an itchy block finger. You say you don't block people because they disagree with you, but this post makes me feel like you do indeed block people because they disagree with you. You could see that disagreement as antagonistic and decide you just don't want to deal with them. And you say that you block people who you feel are uninformative which makes me feel like you block people who use sarcasm in their answers. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing but when people use sarcasm in their answers while also adding in points of value - you essentially remove valuable opinions from your line of sight.

Just some food for thought

• There's no way for you to know definitively. I won't go out of my way to prove it to you, but on the whole, I don't block people for having differing opinions; I base it solely off of how antagonistic or negative somebody attempts to be. If somebody comes on to my work and says: This is fucking stupid, you're an idiot" then there's no reason to allow them to continue to comment on my work in the future. I don't base it off of sarcastic remarks either, I base it solely on people who are uselessly negative.

You are entitled to think what you want but I am telling you through and through that I do not agree with you and there's no way for you to truly know without being on my end of the screen. Nonetheless thanks for your insight.

• Not a problem. It made me feel like tossing out a serious answer. So you did something right lol.

• Excellent, lol.

• Why I block people on gag coz they r racist towards me and they dint respect me other than this I don't block anyone

• this is odd... i'm GAGs biggest "troll" "idiot" "douche" "Ass" "failure" "joke" and useless user yet I'm not blocked.

• I got a thing for alien faces.

• Too long to read, that's why I suck at school.

Cockblocker?😏

• No one has blocked me neither have i blocked anybody. I am just too kind to handle.
    LOL

• I have never blocked anyone, even though I think roughly 15-20 people have blocked me, probably it's been less than 2 months for me having used the site. The main reason might be because of the giant asshole I am in my comments, apart from it, there are people who could never take a pun if it's directed at them.

Most importantly, people shouldn't be blocked because of what they once said. We have to agree humans aren't perfect, some have their quirks but they might also have many good qualities we can learn from.
    Because if I really need answer to something urgently and I don't get decent answers, there would always be a thought on the back of the mind, maybe the blocked users could had given me the advice I needed if I hadn't blocked them.

• i'm the biggest troll and you've been blocked more than me? That's absurd.

• Don't flatter yourself... flatter me.

• i rarely use block unless people are threatening.

• More from Guys
    14

What Girls Said 11

• Well that's a totally valid reason to block users. Just avoiding drama before it starts. :)

• LOL

I'm a chronic blocker too.

• ...
    Just wanted to check if I'm blocked 🙈

• Nahh you're good.

• I blocked one girl because she was getting on my nerves. Lol 😡

• Thanks for the take. I read quite a few of the replies as well.

I've struggling over this blocking thing quite a bit here as well. In general, I've tried to use that feature as little as possible. However, I can see the benefit of preemptively blocking someone that is an obvious and habitual antagonist, if only to save yourself time.

I just wish there were a feature on GaG that when you block an anonymous poster that it would translate into blocking their user account from me for good. I feel like it's quite often the same small group of anonymous trolls that get their kicks by posting the same ridiculous and antagonistic crap over and over again. If each time I blocked one, none of their future posts would show up in my feed, that would be wonderful.

I try not to even click on most anonymous questions, simply due to the crazy amount of trolling. But lots of times, someone that I'm following has responded. So I click on their answer, only to sigh and see that it's yet another anonymous troll question. And by now I've wasted that 2 minutes of my life. It also unfairly buries the legitimate anonymous questions by people that have a real reason for wanting to post anonymously.

Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity cannot. The latter is the group that I tend to block.

• Preach. Me too I block people for the same reasons. Like you mentioned in your take, maybe I should block agnostic or offensive before they can get a chance to reply to one of my opinions or questions so that I'm not victim. The thing that will make me hesitate on whether to block them or not is perhaps that person wouldn't be rude towards me the way he/she is rude to others. I love the idea of blocking, I don't want myself sinking in nasty comments. Once again, preach!!
    33.media.tumblr.com/.../...clXDuL1rikwsko1_400.gif

• I agree with you. I usually tend to avoid blocking so that I could have the last word, but occasionally it's just like talking to a wall with certain people. There are so many toxic gagers here, so many who lack common sense, so many who are just... Sick in the head. If I see someone who is showing signs of being a psychopath (lacking compassion), in addition to blocking (if they aren't anon) and reporting their posts, I also personally alert the admins. I've done this in the past with a potential pedophile, and I've recently done this about a guy who said he would cheer on if girls get circumcised (he said circumcised girls make for loyal wives)

• The way I see it, unless you never ask an anonymous question and you never answer anonymous the people you block will never be able to respond. However, if you do answer anon sometimes or ask a question anon don't be surprised if someone you blocked will respond. I find no problem with blocking but What I find childish about blocking is that people will block someone because they are upset that the person will not agree with them after making their argument. Usually I have noticed that if a person's opinion starts to get challenged they block them. I see nothing wrong with blocking antagonistic people who call someone names and stuff. But a lot of users are way too sensitive on this website. I was blocked by someone because I did not find Channing Tatum attractive and I never antagonized them. But to be honest I don't want people like that in contact with me anyways. Someone else on here blocked me because I pointed out spelling errors in their Mytake even though I told them it was great

• People like you are the reason the block feature should be at the discretion of an admin after an unbiased review by a third party.

Why are you on the internet, if the slightest inkling of disagreement or negativity rustles your jimmies so much?

Has it ever occurred to you to use this magical thing you have called free will and IGNORE something you disliked instead of phasing it out of your life because your feels can't handle it?

How do you even function in the real world?

Do you walk around with "Blocked!" stickers in your pocket and slap them on the foreheads of anyone that "brings negativity" to your rosey coloured fantasy?

Please block me now, so I never have the displeasure of interacting with you in the future.

• I'm genuinely shocked you haven't pre-blocked me yet, considering my hands on blunt and rude approach to debates.

• First and foremost: Sorry to see how angry you are about the topic. Secondly, I stated I only block people when I feel the interaction is going to be uselessly negative. If somebody comes to your post and begins insulting you or others in the comments, I feel it's at the discretion of the person who posted the take or question to remove that negativity. You can disagree all you like, ma'am, but I don't feel the same way.

• well no, but you only get off on being negative.. haha.

• how many do you have blocked?

• I mean I have nothing against blocking whoever you want but some people need to be talked to, regardless of their anger, sometimes you can open someone's mind.

I know it rarely happens but I just choose to not shelter myself from negativity, I would rather speak to them and against it.

But I do agree, some people beyond deserve it lol

• You make a solid point and I will keep it in mind.

• The negative people do get freaking exhausting on here though.

• I also find it funny that @iamyourneighbor has an issue with people blocking for simply not agreeing with her, when she blocked me for not agreeing with her on a Take once before lol. It's amazing how people can have certain views and not follow it themselves.