We're ALWAYS listening

We're ALWAYS listening

Not many of you know me, so please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Diogo and I'm the Product Manager at GirlsAskGuys. I'll be around a lot more collecting feedback from you and communicating the changes we make.

One of the great things about GirlsAskGuys is our community that is very engaged not only in helping people out when they ask a question, but also with the product itself.

This is why after the latest updates, we listened. Well, actually we read several Questions and myTakes like these:

Do you like the new GAG format?, asked by an anonymous user.

Why Removing The Downvote Button Was a (For the Most Part) Bad Idea, shared by @RainbowFanGirl.

GAG has changed. Did you like it?, asked by @emotional_passion.

G@G updates review: January, shared by @YourFutureEx.

And after some careful consideration of every concern and opinion you voiced, this is what we did:

1. Enough with the hearts

We heard that one, loud and clear... You didn't like the hearts. Some people considered it tacky while others simply thought it represented too much of a commitment to that simple action of "liking" something.

2. Here, take a thumbs up

Our plan B was to use a symbol as universal as the heart for the like: a thumbs up. We know it's being used in several places out there, but for some things, the more obvious, the better.

3. The downvote conundrum

As we stated when launching the like feature, the idea was not only to encourage positivity in the community, but also coming up with a single, comprehensive and intuitive action that could be used to express agreement or simply to say thank you everywhere, on Questions, myTakes and Opinions.

This is why, at this point, we're not reintroducing the downvotes or anything similar. But GirlsAskGuys is young and constantly evolving, so nothing is definitive.

4. Too many terms for different things

We also took this opportunity to change the labels for some of the most common actions around here. Having and sharing an Opinion is part of our DNA, so that will remain as it is, but Comments and Replies were basically the same thing and we opted to keep "Reply" as the word for that action.

5. A clear mobile interface and other adjustments

We also put a lot of effort into making the mobile interface more intuitive and easier to use by reviewing spacing between the icons, adding text labels and several other small things.

That's it. Thanks for all the feedback and thanks for caring enough to speak up. You girls and guys are awesome!

DiogoRibeiro is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 16

• I can't help but feel like the reporting system is unfair. I will report some users that happen to be mods and their stuff takes longer to be taken down

• Oh coolies, now I get it

• Thanks for mentioning my take, and you guys are getting better with listening to us. :)

Also, I think you guys should bring the downvotes back soon. As I said in my take, not many people wanted the change in the first place. The polls that were made after going away with the downvote button were roughly 20% to 80%. Many people were fine with it. I really think you should bring it back eventually.

Also, you guys should really work on IP banning disruptive users. It would really work with encouraging a friendly user environment. I've had users harass me and when their accounts were banned, they came right back, just making a different account. I think that would be helpful.

Also, @YourFutureEx had a great idea. If you so desire to eventually bring back the downvote option, perhaps you could implement a feature that automatically buries a comment that has been downvoted too many times (with a "tap or click to show button") it would be useful. I remember YouTube having something similar a while ago.

Anyways thanks so much. Maybe you guys could make polls and ask users what they want.

• I miss the bookmarking questions function!! Bring it back!

• Is the app almost ready?

• Bring back the instant messaging feature, was the best part!

• I didn't like the hearts and I'm glad they were replaced by the thumbs up.
    I think that removing the downvotes was a good and a bad idea at the same time.
    Good, because it promotes positivity like you mentioned and bad because were aren't able to express our disagreement towards an opinion. On the other hand, I know that some users used to downvote others simply because they didn't like the person who shared the opinion. Or because they liked to use this feature just for fun.

Thanks for listening to us.

• First off I like the new feature that we can like something however the downvote miss that... I love the ad free experience also too now!

• Yeah those heart are just... Blegh. What am I, a 5-year-old girl? It's Bad enough that you guys made female users "wear" pink forever. We can pretend to talk about gender equality here, but these gender specific colors totally negate that lol now let's See if you're actually listening.

Also, as I said in one of the above mention ed questions, removing the downvote button is censprship at its finest. Oh the negativity is alive and well, don't even pretend it's not there. By removing the downvote button, you're just basically choosing to close people's eyes and duct tape their mouths shut and only open the duct tape if they want to say something positive. Freedom of expression, anyone?

in my opinion, anyone who can't handle with the insignificant amount of "negativity" the downvotes bring is probably not ready or well suited for gag anyway.

• I actually liked the hearts.

• Me too. But don't tell anyone. :P

• http://i.imgur.com/Ichl0QR.png
      When it comes to the hearts, who says the downvotes are gone

• On desktop, I modified the JavaScript I use to change a few things around to explicitly remove the heart icons. They were too large and too distracting.

• Yes, those hearts reminded me of my kindergarten teacher giving the kids stickers on their paper. It was much too much, but there gone now, so life moves on. I will say I miss the down vote button. Normally I would agree that I enjoy encouraging positivity and such, but there are those who are hell bent on making rude and crass comments. Blocking is great if you aren't anon, but if you are, it does nothing, so the down votes at least let people see that no one is cool with this person or you didn't like what they were saying which isn't in the spirit of being positive. I always wished 'that other site' had a dislike button, so this was great... until, that is, without warning it seems, it was gone. Bring that back.

• The old GAG with the yellow background was way better. For some reason you would always get more answers to your questions and the live feed was way better

• What does being a product manager mean? And pls BRING THE HEARTS BACK. I <3 the hearts. Why not make a thumbs down?

• will there ever be an option to put a block on my own opinion thread? So certain users on can't jump on it to attack my opinion. Obviously not for every opinion but i would like he option to do this on certain topics, such as religious questions

• That's why gag has a report button

• @ikissedtheskyonce

I should be allowed to put a block on it if it is my opinion, I gain more control over my own account that way. The opinion thread is for my opinion , they have their own opinion thread so they should use it. I have seen people attacking , and being abusive to other users which is against the rules of gag, but it is not removed.

I should be entitled to the option on my questions. This site is supposed to be for helping others not for having world war 3 debates. I am no hear for that. I am hear to help people , not to challenge other peoples views.

• not"

• If you're such great listeners, why do you not enforce IP bans on known problem users? Wouldn't that be more effective for building a positive community than taking away the only thing that made disagreeing with someone peaceful?

• There's no full-proof method of banning on the web.

IP banning is ineffective because:
      1) Most IP addresses are dynamic, they change in time.
      2) They can easily be bypassed by using proxy servers and these are all over the web and for free.

• just ban the IPs outright. the chances the IP will change and be picked up by someone trying to use this site is slim to none.

Not banning a malicious user does more harm than good. Essentially you're pissing off 20 people to please a potential future new user.

• @sickz that's my feeling as well.

• I don't like that the downvotes aren't back. We've already seen the effect that long unending arguments has had in the comments. It does not make the site a more positive place. It makes it a headache that I am loathe to come back to. Especially when some of the comments I'm seeing are using offensive language and slurs such as cunt and bull dyke are not being taken down by administrators.

Do you see the disconnect here? You're telling the users that we need to be more positive but on your end you are *encouraging* toxic behavior and then blaming US for the culture problems on the site. That is not okay and no amount of format changing is going to fix it.

I also do not like the +1 because it subconsciously affects readers and future commenters decisions. I'm a strong advocate of the light gray arrow that was used before because it was unobtrusive and allowed opinions to be consumed with less bias.

I was hoping something would be done about the comment box jumping after like 200 characters, but maybe that's in the works? Along with a decent font fix? I am also disappointed to see the profile popup that came up when you hovered over a person's username on desktop is gone. That was SO useful :/

Yay for the gender jumps being back! And so far the Reported Posts feed is amusing and very handy!

I'm sure I'll find more changes to chat about as things progress. Hopefully they'll be good ones.

• I totally agree about the effect of taking away downvotes. I have seen and gotten into quite a few arguments that most likely could have been avoided.. The profile popup thing still works on my end, maybe it was just not working earlier.

• Aw damn it. It's just Bat-signal.

• @YourFutureEx Lol p much. But it's been interesting so far!

What Guys Said 20

• I still see some problems:
    -comments on opinions and other comments often appear quite far from the comment one replies too. it makes mentioning and repeating at least part of their argument nearly compulsory in a discussion.
    -having all the time just 'Asker' or 'Opinion Owner (Age:___ )' or 'Anonymous (Age:___)' to identify the member you're answering too isn't the simplest system.

• @ DiogoRibeiro

your activity on this site is minimal. to understand what works and doesn't, you need to use this site like any other user.

• Aww no GAG podcast? Lame.

• Yeah if I see a comment I don't like i would downvote it and leave it at that, but if there isn't a downvote button then I'll probably write a negative comment instead

• I really hope you can do something about the seeming growing abuse of anonymous questions being posted by people. I can understand why some people would want to go anon on certain questions, but some users seems to do it with every question they ask, no matter how benign the subject. Sometimes about 2/3's of my feed is questions by anonymous askers. And another "special" group of users like to post anonymous questions just so they can be antagonistic towards anyone who doesn't share their views on a subject, no matter how polite the disagreeing comment is. I know there are likely technical limitations in doing so, when when you implemented the ability to block anon question askers with whom you've interacted on a question (a great feature, BTW!) it would be nice to have the option to block that anonymous user across the board on all future questions. Some are here just to stir up trouble, and many know how to just stay under the rule threshold to keep from getting booted. It's becoming a big game of whack-a-mole. The only other option is to completely ignore all anonymous askers' questions, which I would hate to have to start doing. Perhaps placing limits on the number of anonymous questions a user can post within a given time frame would be an option which would help.

• Thanks for this opinion.

It's an important piece of information that we'll take into account when considering changes to the way anonymous questions works on GirlsAskGuys.

• It's a good take.

• Great Take, ok - so no downvotes for now, but what about Follow Questions/MyTakes? I think you bring back that feature...

• Currently +1 designates that the question asker has "liked" your opinion. But the way it looks it seems to say that +2 is next, then +3. Those are not possible so +1 looks odd.

When hovering over a name, a mini profile window pops up. It is just a bit too small and cuts off where the person is from. Obviously the box needs to be a bit larger, or the elements in it closer together.

While typing in a comment box (or reply box if you wish to call it that) the things below keep jumping up and dropping down. It happens constantly and will do it several times for each line typed.

I am on a PC laptop using Windows 7 and Firefox.

• Thanks. We're aware of the issues on the profile hover and a fix should be deployed soon.

• Great modifications and I can say it feels and looks much more intuitive after the newest update.

As for the 'dislikes' - I wouldn't call it a conundrum but more so the vision you'd like to push. 3 points for each stance

For the dislikes
    1. Could potentially minimize direct negative engagements
    2. It differentiated GAG from its competitors
    3. It allows to quickly project your thoughts, anonymously, with a click of a button. Considering GAG has a plathera of opinions and questions, it really creates a more fluid experience while scanning through 100's of opinions on a daily basis for heavy users.

Against the dislikes
    1. It creates 'unecessary' negativity. For example opinions that are neutral or not opinion based, possibly even a image of a user.. dislikes can leave one feeling disheartened. Further more that emotion would negatively be associated with the website
    2. They can alter the opinions of others and possibly subconsciously persuade users to jump on that 'disklike' bandwagon further perpetrating point 1
    3. For a site that is about interactions and sharing, if GAG tracks this data, more behaviour is better. A dislike button may quickly convey a message but it also prohibits interaction that could be of use

At the end of day, these are great updates and it really comes down to the direction the site will focus on. There is pros and cons for both, it really comes down to the mission statement and values the 'company' holds

Good luck
    Cheers

• The things people complain about, honest to god. It's a free site, it's not like we're paying you to use it. Why complain?

• Taking away the down vote has added a veil of forced positivity at the expense of freedom of expression. Gag, you can include a down vote by adding a dislike to the like feature. The down vote doesn't have to be negative. Years ago the site switched from "best answer" to "most helpful" and from giving "answers" to giving "opinions." I can see the intention to try and make the site less opinionating or confrontational and instead make it more open to seeing others views. I think that's cool. Like I said, the down vote doesn't have to be negative or rude though. It can be incorporated as a dislike. A dislike of an opinion which means they just don't agree with that opinion. The value that the dislike brought to the site was to help show real feelings. For many this site is heavily liked for it's ability to see real opinions and understand each other. Without being able to disagree with a dislike arrow, the site has lost much of the information for people to understand others. Even if the person disagreed with may feel sad for a moment if they decided to check the like/dislike status, they still can--and often I bet--learn the lesson of others opinions which can be more powerful than the minute or two they feel sad. What I am saying is censoring the site into forced positivity will and has taken away much of the appeal of this site--to see what others think.

• Please improve layout and fonts. On my 720p monitor I can barely see 3 questions and at max 4. Space between each line is too much. See the user info balloon.

http://i.imgur.com/u4KU57N.png

• I have the same error on my 1080 monitor

• Thanks, guys. We're aware and working on a fix for that particular issue. We have been experimenting with some fonts to find that perfect combination.

• Glad to know! Roboto looks cool. Whatever fonts you choose, please don't choose Arial, Helvetica or Times New Roman lol.

• Why does the notification have to say reply (ies)? Can that not be made to show as reply for one and then change to replies for multiple? Just a minor gripe.. Everything else looks good. Hope downvotes comes back eventually.

• Here's a suggestion to the design wizards: You know the blue menu header at the top of the screen? When you're deep inside a question thread that disappears, and if you want to refresh the live feed you have to manually scroll back up before the blue menu header reappears. Can't you guys make the blue menu header "float" so it's always there?

• How about anonymous users be able to tag someone else?

• Hello, there. Although this would be a useful feature, it could introduce some issues on the community that we don't believe are worth it, so this is something that we'll probably not have anytime soon. Hope you understand. :)

• ONLY if they're following you.

• @DiogoRibeiro Hey pal... do something about "Am I fat?" questions... they are extremely annoying... I believe u feel da same as well... it cannot be taken anymore... eh? ;)

• Hi there and thank you for the info, I like this site very much and have not found one near the same quality as this one, and even if I did I would stay on this one.. I do like to post my opinions on many topics that I see on here and also ask a question or two, but sometimes I have found that I did not fully read a question right the first time before I posted my response to it.. then when I go back to those posts that I made.. I see my mistake that I made and wish I could edit it.. so it sounded not only better to me but also to the person that I responded too.. even if this edit feature lasted only 24 hours as that is ample time to edit any post for anyone.. I never want to retract any comment I have made as I like to think I posted my honest opinion always on anything and everything.. but that edit feature would be great.. you and your staff do a great job on this site.. I like all your updates.. to me they are all good.. may all you and your staff's days be pleasant ones.. take care

• Thank you for the take.
    I am personally against removing the downvotes. I have already written thousands of characters about it in various opinions and am frankly tired of explaining why haha
    However, I do not disagree with testing them out more, as testing out features is important in developing a site.

Granted, I've heard mostly disdain regarding the removal of the downvote. On polls in general it has leaned towards I wanna say 70 or 80% in opposition of the downvote-removal.

--I like the mobile interface adjustment. It seems running pretty smoothly.
    -- The like icon instead of hearts is meh. It is an improvement over hearts as it is more clear, but it seems similar to facebook. It gives a more clear depiction then the old upvote/downvote symbols though. I remember when I first joined GAG it was a little confusing what the arrows meant. Given how popular and well known the facebook thumb is, I guess the ever-familiar facebook like icon is a necessary evil in that regard 😅
    -- I like the name change to reply vs opinion-comment. I would probably go crazy if you changed opinion to something else though 😂. Thanks for keeping that.
    --------
    I guess now the only thing I disagree with is the removal of the downvote. However, I am glad to see attempts are being made at improving the site. Keeping updates is an important aspect of online sites to keep the look fresh and running, and while I may not agree with all the changes (*cough downvote-removal*) I like that there are at least attempts for updates.
    I guess some things were hit and miss in my opinion.

• Oh and I'd like to add one thing.
      A possible feature (idk how plausible it is) that would be nice to have would be a no opinion "scroll-to-the-bottom" option. Rather, I want to try weeding out old unanswered questions off the site. However, I can't scroll down too much since the big O isn't constant (processing time takes longer and longer each load). Considering how the no opinion section keeps building up more and more, it'd be a useful feature to have.

-- Besides that, an ability to search through your own profile would be nice. I often remember an older opinion that works for a current question. However, I can't access it because the actual search bar has issues (not to mention I'd have to sort through tons of unnecessary questions) and opinion collection is over 1000.
      Even a button that narrows down searches to "ones you've posted on" or "your questions" on the normal search screen would be incredibly helpful.
      Anyway, these are just some random thoughts I've had for awhile

• These are both nice ideas. Thanks for the input.

• Keep up the good work :D

• I liked mytake this because of this cute dog
    http://cf. girlsaskguys. com/a25484/681d7674-e39a-40c7-8c45-10eca0cce9b4. jpg

• Uhhh Mr admin. The picture isn't showing up. I think there's something wrong with the system

• And yeah... It's not above me to use cute pet pictures to get you guys to agree with the changes we make. :P

• Thanks Captain Admin! You're doing a good job :)

• #1. Downvotes aren't introduced. Great. It is good to test it more. Let users immerse in it for a period of time. I don't have to worry about trolls too :D
    #2. I'm grateful that gender scrolling is back in desktop version :D :)
    #3. Opinion button is now working flawlessly in mobile version.
    #4. I don't know if it's just me or the mobile site has become faster.
    #5. Yes, "Reply" makes sense.
    #6. Thumbs up! 👍
    #7. Mr. Ribeiro, You the real MVP.
    _____
    PS: It would be better if you change "Most helpful Opinion" to "Best Opinion", because there are a lot of varieties of questions where asker doesn't want "help".
    Example: What is your fav. colour? How do you sound?
    It doesn't make sense that an answer could be "helpful" to such questions, but there'd certainly be a "best" answer. :)

• And thanks for shout out. 😇😎

• @YourFutureEx Exactly... We're trying to come up with the most likely scenarios as you mentioned and figuring out the technical aspects of it. ;)

• Best of luck, boss ;)