Limiting Genders: My Opinion on GAG's New Update

Apparently GAG has just recently, like a few hours ago, added a new feature where you can choose whether to have both genders answer or just one. So far many people have complained about it, some even accusing it of being "sexist".

Just think about it for a minute: How many questions do you see per day that specificially states in the title "GUYS ONLY" or "GIRLS ONLY"? How many questions have YOU posted that were titled as such I honestly think it's great that GAG added this new feature. Now those who want only guys or girls to answer a question can actually MAKE IT SO.

For those of you complaining that it's "sexist", grow up. And to those saying that it'll cause problems: It'll only become a problem if YOU make it so. Don't needlessly limit genders for questions, and you won't have a problem.

That is all.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 13

• Well, I think it's idiotic. The answer section is already divided into girls and guys, so it's even more easy to just ignore the section you don't want to read. Why make an entire feature for it?
    Also, even though an asker might think that they only want, for instance, female answers, a guy can still surprise said asker by giving him/her some valuable insight (and vice versa). By limiting certain people from answering, you're also limiting your question from potentially getting more diverse and insightful answers. It could also have been a popular question, but since the asker chose to silence roughly (probably?) half of gag's community, it might only get a handful... or even less. If any. Tbh nobody is doing anyone a favor by making restrictions and forbidding people from answering their questions. So many questions go unnoticed and unanswered already, so by putting more restrictions and limits, there will only be more and more questions that don't get any, or barely get any, answers. Which I think is sad.
    It's not that hard to ignore the section you don't want to read, if you REALLY don't want to read it. Nobody is really gaining anything from this.

• I'm against it because is it really so hard to just ignore the opinions of the gender that the asker doesn't care to get advice from? I mean good gosh, the genders are already separated in questions.

But also, just because a person may not be looking for opinions from one gender doesn't mean a member of that gender can't bring valuable insight to the table that the QA may not have considered before or thought of.

• am i the only one who wasn't bothered by it?

• It doesn't bother me all that much seeing how some questions were gender specific to begin with. They also have the "both" option so you don't have to use it.

• I see a lot of fake gendered dupes coming our way...

Also the fact that a person looking for only one gender's input is free to simply ignore the other gender if they choose to, as everyone's gender is clearly pointed out. (which I think is enough)

BUT, I do think this label should stick. NOT to isolate, but to direct a question.

Meaning, you should be able to address your question to only one gender as an option, but that should ONLY be a notification to point out whose comments and views are invited first and foremost.

It should not work like a blocking option disabling half the user base from commenting. (If I'm understanding the rule correctly.)

• Another thing crossed my mind... Restriction of diversity of input that has already shown itself to have dire consequences in many religions, nations, cults, communities, races...

This is basically a censorship tool for any feminist cunt looking for nodding and any chauvinist pig looking for communal whining to create a perfect environment where they control the perceived "majority opinion".

And many problems can arise once an open forum discussion becomes restricted to a specific group with communal traits and the mentality of it is built around: "Us VS Them".

I agree there should be men's spaces and women's spaces, but NOT on a public forum.
      Diversity creates progress, segregation stagnates.

And if this site as a whole has any purpose, it's to progress the understanding and knowledge on men and women.

• The only time this has ever mattered to me was when I posted polls and the uninvited gender skewed the results.

Frankly I'd be fine with the uninvited gender writing down a response so long as I can limit the poll gender. I can just ignore the written responses.

I do see where this was coming from though- people ignoring the original request just because they think their opinion matters that much more or that people actually care about their commentary. I can see how people would find it irritating.

• Well the ONLY reason they did it, is precisely because soo many users post questions "GUYS ONLY"... "GIRLS ONLY"... and then bitch about the fact that the wrong gender answered... so basically they added this feature because it was "evidently" wanted by the users,... so it`s rather stupid to complain about something that a lot of users wanted initially...

What`s the worst that can happen? A user will cry? because he/she can`t answer a question? Who in the world wants to so anxiously answer a single restricted quesion, when there are a thousand others that can be answered? ~Retarted~..

• That's wonderful in theory, but if you read through a question wasting your time by accident then seeing that you can't even answer because the QA is sexist, that's honestly somewhat annoying at times.

• @Mesonfielde So, its sexist that I would like a girls opinion on something that only a girl would understand? And if you haven't noticed, it tells you if the question is for only a girl or guy before you even click for details.

• ""only a girl would understand""

What does that even mean

• I have found so many questions on here since they added this feature where I could genuinely help, only... I couldn't it. I may not be a guy but I have a pretty good insight into the male mind based on experience in some cases.

Well, it is up to the asker, I suppose, but they are limiting themselves in the number of valuable responses by choosing one gender vs another.

• honestly I don't care

• I honestly don't care one way or the other.

• I LOVE this update so freaking much!!! I personally find it to be really annoying when guys/girls spam my answer when I asked a specific Q towards guys, or asked a girl centered question.

• Only sexists would approve of this, aka those who think it's biological sex that defines whether someone's answer is worthwhile or not...

• @Mesonfielde No, someone who's looking for a certain POV would think this is awesome! For example if I ask a Q about how guys feel when a girl does X, it's really annoying to have girls comment since I'm only looking for guys' perspectives... This update is awesome.

• If the asker chooses to reduce the amount of answer he/she could've possibly gotten and maybe even miss out on a very helpful answer, that's their problem. I'm not about to have my clams steamed just because somebody decided to minimize how many answers they get.

People: Stop giving a crap. That's the answer to many of life's "problems".

• So are you for or against it?

What Guys Said 14

• I think people should have that option. As it is now, people, especially girls, will just ignore any request to limit responses to one gender. What gives you the right to override what the questioner wants?

That said, I rarely have requested only one gender answer my questions.

• I don't really think the discussion belongs to the questioner. They kick off a discussion, but they don't own it.

Anyway I mainly see t used by guys who want to ask girls only for dating advice. Which is to modify what a user here used to say, like asking for fishing advice from fish and also refusing to let fishermen comment.

• You just epeat that people shouldn't have to respect what the questioner asks, but you don't say why that is. Saying 'the question doesn't belong to the questioner is irrelevant, what you are really saying is people don't need to respect him or her.

Well, I'm glad Gag has put in this feature, so regardless of whether you respect the questioner, you HAVE to abide by their wishes, unless you falsify your gender.

• """Don't needlessly limit genders for questions, and you won't have a problem."""

That's like saying "don't carry a gun with yourself and you won't have to worry about being shot".

• The vast majority of the time when people say they only want one gender to answer the other gender is telling them the truth.

So basically it means people don't want the truth.

I'm considering just blocking people who use it much so indont accidentally

• Well, the entire nature of this site is sexist actually. The whole "get opinions from the opposite sex" slogan really just implies that one sex is better at answering a certain type of question than the other. For example, why should it be assumed that females are better suited to answer a question that's about something generally considered to be a female topic (and visa versa)? A gender neutral opinion site allows for all kinds of opinions: heterosexual, LGBT, whatever. I'm not saying that the intention of the site is to divide the sexes (although that is what it ends up causing anyway), but having the whole site based on this "Guys versus Girls" mentality already puts users in a certain mindset. Do you know what I mean?

• Am I the only one who didn't notice, and as a result didn't particularly care anyway?

• GAG is either creating *** accounts or paying you to write such things to validate their updates.

• Well if I could get the feed to only display questions open to all I wouldn't mind, but as it is it's a bit annoying.

• It is a wonderful idea. I don't see the problem because its what we call an OPTION. There are many times a guy or girl is only wanted to answer, and this reinforces the GIRLS ask GUYS because you can limit it to who you want to answer. If a guy asks how a period feels, he doesn't want some obnoxious guy just posting his unnecessary opinion to get xper. Also, if a girl wants an opinion on her sexual desires if they are seen as normal to guys then she won't want judgmental girls to post their opinions and she can get what she wants from her question.

• THANK YOU. Finally, someone who can see the obvious.

• All this will do is create a metric fuckton of catfishes, since those against the rule can just create a catfish multi. Boom, the rule did NOTHING

• I think it's wonderful because it disturbs people. And those it disturbs probably need to be disturbed because they care WAY, WAY too much about GAG. :-D

• I think it's kind of idiotic myself. I think it is a positive thing if people are able to interact with each other without regard to their sex.

• ┬┐Complaining about something sexist being sexist is an immature thing?

• Welcome to Girls Ask Girls and Guys Ask Guys.

Really bad move, GAG.

• While we're at it, let's give the option to limit answers by race, religion, political affiliation, and sexual preference