And on the seventh day, GAG said: "Lo, sexism be rampant in this place!" or why sex-based filters are a kick in the face of gender equality

And on the seventh day, GAG said:

There has been an update. GAG is always tinkering about, making the user experience as top-notch as their internal decide how it's meant to be.

And now, I feel they have made a terrible decision.

After all the questions we've asked, and opinions we've stated, helping people realize that "no, sex is not as important as people claim it to be in terms of who someone is as a person and how valuable they are; people make it seem like your genitals define you as a person even though that's obviously not the case, etc etc etc."

And now, you can decide in the most sexist fashion whether you claim that ALL female input or ALL male input is worthless, meaningless, and unnecessary. That a person's opinion on a matter completely lacks any sort of informative value, merely because they have a particular set of genitals. This filter says, "in my opinion, you are only as valuable as your genitals allow you to be".

Applause.

Last time I checked, I've known numerous people who have had periods. My mother also gave birth, so did some other relatives of mine, or my friends'. I could ask any of them for input on any questions that you'd think only females can answer based on their biology. Sure, it might not be my experience, but it is someone else's.

Of course, this is not even about biological structure. This is about gender. This is purely about the belief that females can have no idea about cars and were designed to be subservient to men, and males can have no idea about "emotions" because they are all sexist designed to be manipulated by their desire to have sex with women - as that is all a male is capable of thinking about throughout their lifetime. We do supposedly think about sex every 7 seconds, right?

Obviously not, that would be silly. I wouldn't have ever been able to finish this take. Oh well, we'll see what the admins think - we might actually eventually get to post on questions again. Until then, let's let sexism be rampant in this place.

7

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 7

• I loved this. I've answered on questions intended for guys and can often give a more helpful, insightful and thought through answer than all the previous guys wrote. Despite having a vagina, I have good knowledge of cars, games and men. I have experience in many things you wouldn't expect a 19 year old to have so I feel I can provide good advice/insight so it's annoying that my opinion is not accepted because I'm female. I'm sure GaG will remove the new feature after all this uproar. Until then, users can just continue setting things to "both". @GirlsAskGuys

• Give this man a prizeee! Very well said sir. I agree with you 100% on this. I've been denied 4 times now from answering questions today. And the funniest thing is that they all have been questions asked by girls!

• I haven't even noticed the change until I saw a question about block.

Let me guess, they were underage girls (or the very same girl posting 4 questions?).. there was this girl who cuss me out for daring to answer her 'guys only' questions xD

• I guess she was really pissed because she saw the alert and her panties already got wet only to find out the alert came from a girl's opinion xD

• It seems the vast majority agree, as do I.

• I agree this is a bad move as a public forum should be open to diversity, but it's not sexism you idiot.

"After all the questions we've asked, and opinions we've stated, helping people realize that "no, sex is not as important as people claim it to be in terms of who someone is as a person and how valuable they are; people make it seem like your genitals define you as a person even though that's obviously not the case, etc etc etc." "

We? Who is we?
    I certainly wouldn't claim something as dumb as "sex doesn't matter". And I know the MAJORITY of GaG would agree with me. Please speak for your stupid ass only.

The very fact that this site points out your gender is a claim that your sex DOES matter. If you have a problem with that, you should not have even joined.

• Sex matters for reproduction and expression of sexuality.
      And of course, due to prevalent sexism, it influences the social interactions and pressure, from culture and the people who attempt to enforce it to feel better about themselves.

So yes, for example "how to apply makeup properly in practical advice" will probably be something that males won't be as likely to know how to answer. But that doesn't mean they can't know anything about the subject. So, eh. I see no point in defending sexism.

• "But that doesn't mean they can't know anything about the subject. "
      You're making up scenarios that aren't the issue. No girl gives a crap if a guy discusses make up. No guy cares if only women and men give him fashion advice. Is someone does, then that is their choice to make who to come to for advice. It's wise to listen to all sources before making your own choice, but it is also wise to shut the possibly ignorant out, not to waste your time.

But if a man is wondering why women go for jerks and not guys, but he doesn't want buhurt nice guys to whine all over the place and downvote female replies, he'd ban guys from replying and voting and whining. He doesn't care what their theory is, maybe he's already heard enough male opinions so it's no biggie.

If a girl is wondering why some men have fragile pride and don't like "strong women", but wants a space where convo can't be interrupted and spammed by feminist ranting she'll ban girls because there are more feminists among them.

• Too many general assumptions about what the males or females will do. In the end, it is essentially "blocking everyone of a given sex based on their sex", which is unreasonable.

• I absolutely agree. I'm seeing questions that is blocking a sex and I just pass because blocking shows the ignorance of that person. fuck this shit. This is not giving people freedom of choice this is giving them freedom to straightforward insult a certain sex.

Ideally you want answers from people who have some real experience or some highly intelligent people. And that experience and intelligence comes regardless of what sex one belongs to about 'any' subject.

If there wants to be a 'block' option there must be an option for unintelligent people or inexperienced people or trolls. And that is impossible. You just can block the people whom you dislike their opinions for that matter.

But blocking a whole sex is the lowest thing that can be done that also lowers the quantity and quality of possible answers.

• Well said... I bet they implemented it because a minor group complained enough to make it seem like this was a major problem.

• All they had to do was click the appropriate button to go to the other sex's opinions, though - if they are so inclined to be sexist in the first place.

• You hit the nail square on the head with this rant oops Take. Now can you do the same to GAG admin?

What Guys Said 22

• Since girls, especially, amost NEVER respect a questioner's directing the question to guys, but always insist on weighing in even on a question that girls have no direct experience to draw on..

It's nice now to be able to block them and actually have a discussion with guys only.

And on political type questions, it's nice to be able to block guys, because the male teenage demographic you have with Gag depends on the Pentagon for their opinions on most political questions.

So it's nice to keep the guys out Girls have much more thoughtful answers on such questions, on the whole.

Finally, if the question involves any criticism of females in general, you have to be able to block girls, or the fembots will all check in and spam the question to the point that there can't be a real discussion.

So I say, great, let's keep this new update.

• Worst feature ever!

• It's a sexist decision to add that feature , indeed.

• They could add a Whites only, Asians only, Black only too? A Tall only, Short only, Fat only , Skinny only too?

• @Bandit74

The results are already split by gender. If people need the percentages calculated by each that could just be added.

• Buddy, sucking up to feminists is lame. They don't care about anything but grandstanding, and true females will lose all respect for you.

• I don't think it's about "sucking up to feminists"

It's about people who prefer small discussions with only same opinion people , no real discussions but chitchat among friends. Like all the blocking going on here: people unable to present a logical argument.

• Men and women are different, we have different experiences, different ways of thinking, so there's nothing wrong with wanting to hear from one side when the question is about finding out what members of that sex think. It's called girlsaskguys for a reason - if it was peopleaskpeople you might have had a point. It's no big deal.

• i dont really have that big of an issue with it at the moment. I dont see it as something that has totally no benefit.

• @ComDom your commit is pretty much how I saw things. I saw no sexism in the new feature. I think this update will work great for those like me who hate seeing guys always answer on questions directed to girls.

• "Of course, this is not even about biological structure. This is about gender. This is purely about the belief that females can have no idea about cars and were designed to be subservient to men, and males can have no idea about "emotions" because they are all sexist designed to be manipulated by their desire to have sex with women - as that is all a male is capable of thinking about throughout their lifetime. We do supposedly think about sex every 7 seconds, right?"

This MyTake is what happens when cultural delusion corrupts the mainstream (and at times science). Males and females ARE different. They have different opinions BECAUSE of the variance in their biology (and by extension psychology).

That does NOT mean that they cannot share similar opinions at times but the ability to filter surveys is not sexism. It is serves a function. And that function is to more directly target a demographic for certain specific questions.

For instance if someone wanted to know something direct like, "As women, do you enjoy guys holding your hand?" having guys respond to that serves essentially no function and it would only be more to unnecessarily read.

That's the ENTIRE point of filters, to sort information. Real life filters are the same way. You don't see anyone complaining about not having dirt and stuff in their water. It's because the dirt is unnecessary and unwanted. It's not 'dirt-ism' or some other kind of absurdity.

tl;dr This filter says, "in my opinion, you are only as valuable as your genitals allow you to be". No... This filter says you are only as RELEVANT as your genitals allow you to be.

• i disagree, fact is there is a lot of questions that the other gender really doesn't have any kind of say in. Such as the blueballs question going on, what is a girl going to say to that? Its not sexism to discount womens opinions on that, they dont have one. The majority of the questions dont have the filter, i haven't been blocked yet. I do think your over-reacting too.

I think your suffering from the condition of "hammeritis". You want to be this "gender equality warrior" so you have this hammer, and everything you see looks like a nail

• I'm pretty sure if someone has absolutely no relevant input to a specific question, then they'll either ignore it, or people will downvote it. I only see sexism where there is a major difference made based on nothing but biological sex, which is the case here.

• True but it is annoying when your asking dudes a question and a girl buts in like "well im not a guy but"
      Or vice versa.

It's like "Why comment in the first place?"

It's like that annoying friend who doesn't know when to shut up.

• You're not going to let this go are you?

I'm not sure about the idea but I think you're overreacting. In my experience, there are some issues where most guys give certain kinds of response and most girls give certain kinds of responses. There are some questions I ask, then I see a guy has answered and I can guess what he's going to say and I'm normally right. I understand guys (especially the ones here lol).

I came here to get girls opinions, not guys. If you disagree, don't use the filter (and I haven't used it and don't think I will either).

It's not that big of a deal so calm down because it will be changed back soon enough looking at how everyone else doesn't like it.

• Just because I don't use the filter, it doesn't mean I'm unaffected by it.
      Also doesn't change the fact that whenever I or any other male is affected by it, we are blocked based on nothing but our genitalia, which is technically equal to sexism.

• Excluding one gender for whatever reason defeats the entire purpose of GaG, which was supposed to bring the sexes together.

• I think it's a bad addition too. I've seen questions on here directed toward one gender, only to have someone of the other gender get the most helpful opinion selected by the asker. But hey, I guess it's the asker's loss if they miss out on helpful information because they screened out an entire gender from providing any help.

• Hey I'm up for a good protest. Who's with me?

Occupy GAG!

It's a sit in

m.quickmeme.com/.../...0e0ab61592a359f1a6a7594.jpg

• Am I the only one who sang the title? Fine take fine take.

• Exactly. This is one change, that is counterproductive for this websides purpose, thus, defeating the whole scenery. Not a smart move @ GaG Admins.

Whoever picks answers from only one gender makes a loss for himself. I will never ask only one sex. Promised.

• Seriously, this sucks.

• I know right? You can barely use the site at all like this in my opinion, and the underlying message is just horrible.

• This is not tumblr OP...

• of course not. Tumblr is a one-directional communication medium. You get to explicitly comment to me, and I see your response without following your feed.

I never liked Tumblr.

• Why would I just want an opinion from one sex? I don't really care if they allow more options, but I think it defeats the purpose of this site.

• Yeah, doesn't really make sense in my opinion. That, and people tend to complain about not getting enough replies already - it seems odd to want to decrease their pool of possible answers even further

• Interesting how this take got promoted lol. do the admins agree?

• More from Guys
    2