To Be Too Skinny

To Be Too Skinny

I'm skinny.

I get it.

But what most people don't understand is calling me a stick does the same thing to my self esteem as if you tell a girl who is overweight that she looks like an orange.

Most people don't realize how mean it is.

My friends call me a stick.

I guess you could argue that I encourage it by laughing with them.

But they would never call someone an orange.

Or call someone fat.

Why is it okay to point it out when a girl is skinny but not okay when a girl is overweight?

They tell me my legs look like so thin they could break them.

But my mile time is over a minute faster than theirs.

I swim, run, and bike.

It's not that I starve myself either.

I eat when I'm hungry.

I have McDonalds.

I don't try to be skinny.

It's just the way I am.

I'm not happy with my body.

I'm not comfortable in my skin.

My insecurities plague me as I go shopping or get dressed in the morning.

Do these jeans make me look even thinner?

Can people see my bony knees through my pants?

Can people see the bones in my back when I wear this tank top?

Can they see my shoulder bones?

Maybe I should wear a jacket.

It's been about 3 or 4 years since I've worn a tank top, skirt, or pair of shorts

I know it sounds extreme, but imagine how I feel when I'm wearing sweatpants and a sweatshirt and someone tells me I look too skinny.

How do you think I would feel showing off my bare legs? Or my bare arms?

I'm skinny.

And I'm not proud of it.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 11

• 26d

Models are usually skinny. Kendall Jenner has a BMI of below 18.5. She needs to have a minimum weight of 129 lbs for her height of 5'10. Her actual weight is 119 lbs. So she is underweight by 10 lbs.

What is worse is that a man at the body mass index of 22 is being called skinny while it is quite a normal weight for his height. I don't want to look big, I like looking slim. Why am I forced to look big?

The only skinny girls i think are too skinny are the ones that look anorexic. Like they look like a walking talking skeleton with skin painted on the bones. That is the only time its extremely unattractive to me. I never shame it, I am constantly thinking maybe she needs psychological help.

Whatever body you have, however you hide or flaunt it, it is you. Don't listen to the haters. Their eyes are blind. You are you, and you are beautiful. Maybe you don't have curves. Maybe you have too many. Whichever the case, you're still who you are. You're beautiful. Love who you are.

Stay beautiful,
    -SJ

• I love skinny girls so for every one who makes fun of you for being a stick there are guys like me who love the look..

• many guys love sticks, me included , lol.
    you shouldn't pay much attention what others are saying and enjoy being yourself.

• If you are healthy and fit, your body is just fine.
    Seriously.
    There's a set of people out there who love each and every body type. In other words, don't sweat it.

Somebody calls you skinny, tell em "It's better than being a fatass like you Jabba!"

That will shut it down. Just make sure you smile when you say it so you can both laugh it off.

• Maybe you would learn to live with the fact that you are far from perfect, just as too fat girls.

• I don't have any problem with skinny girls.
    If i say someone is skinny, for me is not a bad word.
    The same way i feel attracked by chubbies, i see pretty girls on both extremes.
    So the terms are not negative for me.

• this is stupid i was skinny very skinny and i wanted to be buff so i worked so hard and in 11 months i gained 40 pounds and now im 5,7 160lbs and 10% body fat

• Yes that is definitely a phenomenon that doesn't get highlighted the same way overweight issues are analysed in popular media. Being a certain shape is a thing for some people especially women and it is unfortunate that we live in a society where it doesn't feel right to say to your family/friends "Hey you know this (X) really affects me". Places like this are good for talking about it but wouldn't it be nice if you could have an everyday conversation about it. The way I look at things is that everybody has insecurities and probably everyone feels the same way I do about something. It makes me feel like everyone is equal and has their own things to deal with.

What Girls Said 13

• I'm skinny. Some would argue too skinny. I'm medically underweight. You can count my ribs. You can see my hip bones and my backbone and my collarbones. I wear a 00 and it's loose.

But you know what? Been this way my whole damn life and you know what else? I absolutely love it. I eat. A lot. I workout. A lot. I don't bulk. I just get lean muscle that hasn't yet managed to come hide my bones lmao

I was meant to be small. So I'm gonna own it and be awesome at it.

Oh please please please please please stop complaining about being skinny, its waaaayyyyy better than being fat.

Some people also criticize skinny girls that they're not skinny enough, which is absolutely ridiculous. A girl can't be too thin or too curvy.

I've dealt with the same thing for years and it's made me feel awful. I can't wear anything that shows my skin without people feeling the need to ask me if I'm anorexic. I wanted to be curvy so much that when I was around 14 I managed to get my hands on a corset/waist trainer and I probably didn't take it off once for about a month (besides when I was showering etc) and it's caused serious health issues for me. I feel like this should be talked about a lot more because it's just as, sometimes even more, serious than fat shaming.

• I am a very thin girl as well. I am very insecure about my weight and wish that I could be curvier, but, I am learning to love myself every day because I have it lucky! I can eat every day, I have a roof over my head, and I am a happy person. Don't think about the negatives, think about all the good things! Having a good personality is better than looks at the end of the day. Try and stay positive :3

• i am skinny, i need to be on the diet for not to lose weight, bcoz i usually just dont want to eat

• Being skinny is not a bad thing, calling one a stick is :(

• Don't change who you are just to make other people happy, Be yourself and the right people will love the real you.

• I can relate to this article a lot. I myself am skinny and gaining weight for me has always been a struggle. I was constantly picked on when I was younger but I don't deal with it much anymore. I can eat everything in the house but gaining weight for me is another story. Everyone's body is built differently. Some people may have a slow metabolism, others may have a fast metabolism as me. I am trying to gain weight but it just isn't working. I was thinking about taking weight gainer pills but I don't know. I might start working out and see where that takes me. Being skinny is nice but over time it gets annoying. When I was younger I feared gaining weight because I was afraid where it would go. And now I pray that I gain weight as I get older. Some people tell me I'm lucky, I try to tell people trust me I'm not that lucky.

• I get this as well, and I am not even super skinny. I am average. There are definitely girls thinner than me, and I would never criticize them for that. I would never criticize bigger girls than me either. I want to tone up my body, so I exercise every day and I eat healthy. I get people telling me that I should stop exercising because I am going to disappear. I get really pale in the winter because I work straight afternoons, and I don't get in the sun much. I kind of get a bluish tinge to my skin because of this. I get told that I should eat something because I am so pale that I am turning clear. I eat enough and it's the same people every year who make these comments. They know how pale I get in the winters. It has nothing to do with lack of food.

• You have no idea how much I relate to you with this. I'm skinny. I have a slim body. I was born this way. But it's still hard for me to accept my body. Because it's hard to be the only skinny girl in my class or wherever I go. Last year was tough for me. But I went to the nutritionist and I started working out. So I gained more weight. I'm still trying to reach my ideal weight. But people still says to me "why don't you eat more? You're so thin" and stuff like that. I get really pissed. But I try to avoid them. It's our daily struggle right?
    I'm sorry you feel that way, but you're not the only one ( excuse my poor English writing )

• Did kendall really say that? Ans if she did, how long ago? She is a runway model now and lost more weight to get more jobs so it's nit like she is trying to gain weight now.

But anyways. I agree. Calling someone too skinny is just as bad as calling someone too fat. Our bodies are different. Some people gain weight super easy and some can't gain weight at all. I hate how people say skinny people are stupid and don't eat at all and fat peopoe are just lazy. You don't know the person so don't criticize her/his body.

• I'm sorry girl, I was super skinny too at one point but i've been growing into my body and I have more curves now: boobs, my hips got wider, and my butt got bigger too. So of course i'm still thin but i have curves to be thankful too. Same things going to happen to you, either more drastic or less drastic. But either way everyone grows into their body, so don't you sweat!
    And today in society, people want to be skinny so now calling someone skinny is a compliment, well to skinny people its just the opposite. And you're absolutely right it doesn't change the fact skinny people can be just as insecure as fat people. We have our flaws, we have our self esteem issues too? So great mytake :))