Girls that wear wedding rings but are not married.

I went to the bar today and noticed that all the bartenders were wearing wedding rings. I like to consider myself a gentleman so I will not flirt with a girl that has a wedding ring on. I figure they are either married or don't want to be hit on. But do some girls put on rings in hope that guys won't hit on them? And if so does it work?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yup! I'm 21 and I just graduated from college with a BSc in Pre-Med, I've worn my mother's engagement (2.5 carat, 3 side diamonds platinum) ring since I started high-school, I was 13 years old back then. For me this is like a "promise ring," but to myself; I want my career first. I am not engaged, and I am far away of getting married right now, I still have 3 more years of studies. But I am not interested in dating at this moment, so this helps keeping interested guys away. Overall it does work, but they are some who still approach and don't care. I honestly find this type of guy a bit annoying, because of their lack of respect, what if I was truly engaged? Get it? And others who are curious and ask me if I am engaged. My answer to their curious question are, "It's personal, sorry!" or "Oh! It's just a promise ring."

Some people might take this as "me being selfish, etc.." but I am just not interested. So that's the point.

So to answer your question, yes it works, but it also depends how you act overall. For e.g.. Do your flirt a lot? If you do guys might take the wrong impression of you.

^.^

What Girls Said 6

• There are so many dogs out there these days, I don't know that it matters. I remember years ago having a guy hit on me and when I told him I was married, he said it did not matter to him. I told him it mattered to me and I walked away.

It seems this attitude is more prevalent these days, at least at clubs and bars. Knowing that a guy just wants sex and will cheat to have it, what a HUGE turn off. Trust me, if they don't care if you are married, they don't care if they are attached either. Ick

• My boyfriend and I decided when I moved to France for study for a year that I would wear a ring on my ring finger as a signal to men who might try to hit on me that I am happily taken. We've talked about getting married one day but we are too young and haven't been together long enough to be engaged, so this is partially a promise to one another on top of a way of making clear to other men that I am not available.

I've found for the most part it has stopped men when they see it (it's not always straight away that they do), but there are still those who aren't paying attention to what's on a girl's hand.

• It's actually really common from what I've seen, I'd say at least maybe 30% of all the women I know who wear wedding rings are not married.

• wow...i didn't know women do this.

if I were to do it, it would be becasue I did not guys hitting on me. and I can c why bartenders do it.

• There are a lot of aggressive pervs out there

• Yes.

What Guys Said 4

• It really depends on the woman, I know women that wear a wedding ring to discourage men (a lot of closet lesbians do this, as they can be out with another female and no one things anything because of the ring). I know women that wear a wedding band, so that when they get with a guy the ring says this is about sex as I am in a relationship. I also know a few women that wear a wedding ring, because they are embarrassed about having kids with no father around. They say they are separated or they are widows, to explain why the husband is not around.

For myself, I have found that I was more attractive to women for some reason with a wedding band on my finger than when I was with out it. I asked a couple of females about this, and they told me that a married man has shown that he can commit. I never understood this, if you can get a someone to leave a marriage. Than someone can do to same thing to you.

I have never seen a wedding ring stop anyone, for the most part a wedding ring makes women more of a target as some men take it as a challenge to seduce a married woman.

• I have heard that some people go for guys or girls with wedding bands because they know they can go for sex without a worry the person wants a relationship. Blip

• I have seen guys do that to lol. And sure enough, they got hit on. Heck, even Seinfeld made an episode about that.

• And this is why I wanted to try myself to see if it's true.. If that works then I'm doing something seriously wrong if a women can start speaking just because I have a ring on my finger.

• You do get hit on more with a ring.

• I don't know about women in the US but I know that some women in Europe do this. I lived in Italy and the men there are very aggressive about hitting on women. They don't care if a woman tells them she has a boyfriend or even a fiance, but they have a lot of respect for the institution of marriage so some girls wear fake wedding rings to ward off unwanted flirting and it works.

• i've heard of females doing the "ring-on-finger-to-appear-married" thing...it's more common than you think.

Are girls really that scared/annoys of guys approaching them that they have to be FAKE?