Born In The Wrong Body (What Is The True Meaning Of Identity?)

There are so many different medical diagnoses that have people feeling as if they were trapped inside the wrong body. These people usually experience a great period of their lives unhappy in the body they have no choice being in.

Below are a few of the medical diagnosis I have decided to list...

Body Integrity Identity Disorder (BIID) - Is a psychological disorder wherein sufferers feel they would be happier living as an amputee, or being "transabled." It is related to xenomelia, "the oppressive feelin that one or more limbs of one's body do not belong to one's self."

Credibility - Wikipedia

Transgender - Is the state of one's gender identity not matching one's assigned sex.

Credibility - Wikipedia

Transracial - When a person who is born of one race, makes the decision to become or represent themselves as another race.

Credibility - Urban Dictionary

Some of these people are able to live their lives (with contentment) by transitioning into who they feel they should have been born as.

Do you agree these people deserve to establish their true sense of happiness?

If someone feels they are black but are genetically white,

Should they be allowed to claim that racial background?

If someone feels they should have been born an amputee,

Should they by all measures go to extreme lengths to achieve that?

If someone feels as if they should have been born a man but are genetically female,

Should they acquire that change through gender reassignment surgery?

If we are okay with ONE of these....then why not be okay with all of them?

Why or why not?

As time progresses there are more and more medical diagnoses that are coming to surface where one as a feeling of inadequacy because they have no control of which the way they were born.

If all of these are accepted in society (and we allow people to live the way they want to live without questioning it) then how would the word "identity" truly be defined?

Does ones true identity lie within the way they see themselves?

Or how our society percieves them?

Identity cannot be found or fabricated but emerges from within when one has the courage to let go.

Stacyzee is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 20

• How does one feel a race? Race is a social concept based on skin color usually. People within a race can act however the hell they want. People can be a part of whatever culture they want. There's no defining mental or physical characteristic that really distinguishes between races since we are all the member of the same species. This is why concepts like "acting black/white/asian" don't make sense and serve to only pigeonhole people within different communities.

The sex we are born with is a completely different thing entirely. Sex is not a social concept even though GENDER is. Gender roles given by society have changed throughout history with the rise and fall of different cultures. Sex is a difference on a genetic level whereas gender is just a social construct. Someone like Bruce Jenner can't just adopt a different culture to achieve what he feels he has been lacking since childhood. He can't change his attitude to stop feeling like a prisoner in his own body. Even psychologists claim that using pronouns they desire is very therapeutic to them. These things go a long way to making them feel good to live as the sex they believe themselves to be. Transitioning can finally help someone achieve peace and harmony. How can I reject that?

I haven't done enough research on body integrity disorder to really comment on that.

• I feel I'm a billionaire, trapped in the body of a commoner.
    It really feels awful.

• I just submitted a mytake with the same idea: www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a11024-trans-what-how-does-that-work

• So what is Michael Jackson then? A post-op Transracial?

• How many legs does a dog have if you say it's tail is a leg?

• and i'm an android.

• They can identify as whatever they want but to me Rachel is white and Caitlyn is a man who spent a lot of money on cosmetic surgeries and a new wardrobe.

People say Rachel can't identify as black because she never experienced what it's like to be black or faced the challenges they have.

Well Caitlyn spent over 60 years as a man, never had a period, can't get pregnant and faced any of the challenges a typical woman would have

• Look someone that wants to have an amputation or wants to live as a paraplegic, something is severely wrong with them.

• The first two examples are mental illnesses. One we treat with medication (as opposed to lopping off a perfectly healthy appendage), one we "treat" by surgically mutilating the sufferer and shaming the rest of society into playing along.

The last example is a political opportunist who made a career out of driving a wedge between peoples and keeping old wounds open, fostering hatred and resentment so she could prop herself up as the savior of the downtrodden. What else are we to call a white woman who lambasted black men who married whites as "race-traitors," fabricated racist abuses against herself and discouraged other non-whites from participating in the "Black Lives Matter" campaign?

There is one group you didn't include in your list: sufferers of the Cotard delusion believe they are dead. As with BIID, doctors aren't partial to the idea of "helping" its sufferers by making reality concord with fantasy.

Good article:
    yiannopoulos.net/.../

• transgender identity, search for it in google or go to read it in a scientific book.
    i see those people as victims.

• It's called a mental disorder, liberals. The chromosomes won't change just because you don't like them. How does Bruce feel like a woman without stereotyping what a woman's personality is to begin with? He's a woman who still has a penis? Yeah, that's normal.

• BIID and Transracial sounds really... Out there.

• Gnosticism is just as incorrect today as it was thousands of years ago.

• this topic isn't the best
    i can't defend any of these issues cause they have nothing to do with truth
    but only with emotion

• Well what is the "Best" topic according to you?

• True or false? Well that Is an opinion that varies from person to person and not the direction I want to go in

• well its more realistic cause people are born in the body there in they should accept it changing it is dumb
      the whole bruce jenner controversy is dumb he is a guy and he wants to be a women no matter how much change he does he will never be a women he has the mind of a man

• Great MyTake! :D

• N°1 is a mental disorder, not related to being transgender or "transracial".
    N°3 doesn't exist. Gender is not based in genetics. Ethnicity is. Also, I don't see any black people pretending they are white.

• My thoughts on each:

first, body integrity disorder. If a person wishes to amputate, to me, that is their decision. I don't think I can understand it, but if they can do it without harming others, safely, well, perhaps that might actually be useful--perhaps one day, otherwise healthy limbs amputated from such people could be used on those who were amputees because of an accident. It's a strange idea but either way, I'm going to mostly be pro choice about this, neither for or against. I would think it's a bad idea, but it doesn't hurt others, only themselves, and maybe it doesn't hurt them, I don't and can't know.

transracial... this is hard. I think the main issue I have, specifically with this, is that Rachel lied. It's not that she wanted to live life as a black woman but that she lied.

I am transgender and I myself am pretty conflicted about this, I don't know too well what to think. But my being transgender does not harm another body, and Rachel's lies have. It's not so much the racial thing, and I don't really know what to think yet.

I believe transgender people should be able to live as they want, because a) everyone should be able to present their appearance as they identify (so in this way I do not oppose Rachel), and if someone assigned male at birth is truly female, I don't see how that is a problem. Perhaps gender is something the human race can grow out of--much as I hope that 'race', meaning black, white, etc., is also something we grow out of. We're the same species.

• See my answer for how these things hurt others.

• As I said in my answer, it blurs or destroys the lines we as humans use to guide ourselves through life and remaining "normal".

Now, I fully understand that what passes for "normal" can vary from place to place, but there are still lines in life that you simply cannot cross. It is not normal for example, to want to kill your mother, steal her guns then go kill 20 first graders and 6 of their educators, someone who does this has a very serious problem and needs to be institutionalized do you not agree?

• yes, i agree that murder is wrong. I somehow don't see how that really equates with someone born with, say, 'female' parts and the wish to present as male. As long as they aren't murdering people, committing crimes that hurt others... I present as male, people use male pronouns for me. I'm not hurting anyone. And if my identity--something that's not a choice AND isn't hurting anyone, is something that should be classified as 'wrong', I wonder how far these views extend on your part. I'm not going to ask because I don't want to be hurt anymore. I am going to back out of this as a debate because my goal online is to remain reasonable and not lose my temper, but you've frankly upset me and I don't want to force you to deal with my anger and reasonable upset.

• Are transexuals mentally ill according to your take?

• Transgenders is also known as "gender identity disorder" . In order for something to be a disorder, it must interfere with your every day life and natural functioning. Because these three things I have listed interferes with these peoples every day lives, then by definition they are known as identity disorders by Wikipedia.
      Whether I agree with these are not is a different issue.
      All I will say is I have a transgender.
      But however, I feel the line must be drawn somewhere because there are many coming out with different identity issues. They too feel they should be accepted also.

• If I am an earthling would I become a Martian if I painted my self green. No! I think you are what you are born as period.

• Anybody with any of these conditions should be ridiculed and given the help they need for their obvious mental illness.

Accepting things like this drags us down as a society, it blurs or even eliminates every single line humans have to guide them in life concerning what is normal and what isn't. It would be one thing if it simply changed the lines but it doesn't, it simply makes them difficult or impossible to see.

One of those lines is the one between attention and affirmation/validation. When people who have problems see society not only accepting, but applauding people like Bruce Jenner for being "brave" for embracing what is so blatantly obviously a severe mental defect it makes them believe that they would be seen the same way if they embraced their problems. That means more Dylann Roof's, Adam Lanza's and Elliot Rodgers' will surface and commit horrendous atrocities in search of attention, taking it as affirmation.

For those people with less dangerous problems, this same line blurring could very well encourage them to take on more problems to seek more attention, all while society cheers them on.

Nobody is ever truly happy with who they are, there is always SOMETHING we want to change (usually something to do with the body), but the vast majority of us simply come to accept who we are and live with it. This is another issue that arises with accepting these kinds of people with their problems. Kids, especially girls, have a hard enough time finding who they are and accepting themselves, why would we want to encourage them to think it's better to go and mutilate themselves?

What about those who do not fall into the trap? The ones who do manage to accept who they are? We teach them that it's better to let their friend destroy their life than risk offending them, this breeds entire generations of close-minded, hostile drones not capable of thinking for themselves.

I'm only 27, but when I was a kid I was frequently told "life isn't fair", we desperately need to get back to that way of thinking lest we flush what is left of salvageable society down the toilet.

• If it's labeled as disorder then how can it be right? I don't oppose anything. Do whatever it's good for your survival.

• What about the rest of these?

• Good answer.
      I don't think people will look at these diagnoses as closely when they hear them and specify exactly whether they are biological or an identity issue. All they will see is someone not wanting to be what they were born.
      I agree that i think the "trans" prefix is getting out of control and I stated this somewhere else on this site.
      I feel solid identity will not remain if we all become accepting of each and everyone of these.
      the line has to somehow be drawn between what is acceptable and what is not.
      And yes survival is what matters the most.

thanks for ur answer :)

• Exactly! (Y)

The pleasure is all mine :)

What Girls Said 11

• I don't believe in transracialism. You don't just wake up and feel black.

• Well It doesn't necessarily happen that way.
      It happens during childhood but.. every one knows Rachel is a fraud.
      Do you believe someone can feel they are the wrong race from early child hood?

• I don't believe in transracialism either. I didn't state my actual opinion about any of this in this article
      Transracial is a rather new term I believe which only came up in the case of Rachel.
      I've seen people try to change their race and become something their not, but I've never heard someone say they feel trapped in the wrong skin.
      I do however also believe transgenders and BIID.
      Thanks for sharing your opinions.

• Oh alright. I did have sort of the assumption that you were trying to convince me that transracial was real, but yea, lightening or darkening your skin doesn't change who you, but transgender is technically real since gender is more of how you identify yourself rather than your genetics.

• I believe these are all mental illnesses. However, I find it hypocritical for people who support transgenders to dismiss transracial.

• How is being transgender a mental illness?

• There is a lack of alignment with the assigned gender and the gender identity, I haven't read enough scientific publications to know if there is an actualy physiological or anatomical lack of alignment, perhaps someone else could look it up. If there is a lack of physiological or anatomical alignment is it an ailment of the mind or of the body, is it even an ailment at all?

Some may feel it's an ailment of the body and transition, though in the UK (and I'm not sure if this has changed now) transitioning is a form of treatment for GID, gender identity disorder; GID can lead to forms of depression and it tends to arise from the stress caused by an extreme discontent with assigned gender.

N. B
      GID is not the same as transexualism, though transexualism may lead to GID if a transexual becomes increasingly unhappy with his/her assigned gender.

• gender and race are bullshit categories. yeah a person should live as whatever they want long as they are not stepping on others to do so. inversely prejudice is stepping on others just to stray ass you are.

• It is impossible to deny the difference between male and female without eventually stepping on someone. Case in point: Italy forcing boys to dress and girls for a class exercise, completely without foreknowledge nor consent from the boys nor their parents.

And make no mistake: consent is the next thing that will come under attack. Sexual elitists will now make a philosophical argument to eradicate age of consent laws. They are already doing it. Using similar twisted logic to how Sadean Nazi politics got so popular in the first place.

As for race: we are all one blood. There is no "better monkey." Darwin was a fairy tale.

• stay as not stray ass.

• Nice myTake, it was really informative

• how could you possibly feel black, white, Asian, or Latino? im sorry but it just sounds stupid. i love rap and the majority of rappers are black. does that mean i feel black? no. race isn't something you can feel. its not even possible to say that people may want to be another race because of the way they are being treated. in all fairness some whites are total assholes to other races. should those people change their race? no. absolutely not. the whole amputee thing is pretty stupid too. those people should just see a therapist. im fine with trans people.

• Great take.
    I think when it comes to transracial type situations, it's best, if the person truly admires another ethnicity, to say so. It's possible to fully immerse yourself in something and not lose yourself.

Transgender people have every right in the world to take actions to be happy and complete. I support the fact that being transgender is not a choice and is biological.

• Say what you will but the whole "transracial" thing is stupid.

• The hottest girls can be transgender and better looking than some of the masculine feminists

• With all fairness the ones said to be the "hottest" tend to have hormone injections and plastic surgeries.

• I can't understand BIID and transracial people. Mostly because it's a fairly new concept to me. But I recognize that all of these should be taken seriously. If people want to look different or change their body, then what business of ours is it what they do with themselves?

• Nice take 😊

• Body Integrity Identity Disorder sounds like the new buzzword for the special snowflakes who are just begging for attention since wishing to be anorexic isn't shocking enough anymore. It is really damaging to those people with actual BIID who actually go through with disfiguring themselves.
    The woman in the video could just do it with a chainsaw and call 911 before proceeding with it to save her life. Money is not as big of a problem as she makes it out to be.

Bruce Jenner has looked female to me years before she came out. She looked more like a woman dressed in a suit than a man dressed in a suit to me.

Rachel Dolezal can tan herself as much as she wants, curl her hair as much as wants. What's wrong is that she lies about being biracial (or so I read) and thus denies one parent of hers. I'd be hurt if I was her mother and she claims a black woman was her mother, not me.