This is why I believe 80s and 90s were the best times for a human being to live, since there was a fine line, between life and technology.

This is why i believe 80s and 90s were the best times for a human being to live,since there was a fine line,between life and technology.

Of course, texting language, and slangish words would be dropped here since it's a take.

Sometimes I believe fast internet speed and portable devices have done more bad than good actually. I’ll explain why.

During 80s and early 90s people were using computers for their work mostly, or programming or some games. Nothing more. BBS existed as well, but they were a cult thing back then, and it was awesome as it seems…It was the 1st form of online communication and it was givin you some space for having a "life" since you had to pay in order to experience this “alternative” (by then) form of communication.

Then after mid-90s internet became available to the general public, but its speed was so damn low…So it’d be a pain in the ass if you were surfing on the internet for hrs. it was useful for seeking for info mostly. So again people had some space for having a life, still.

Now after 00s when internet was becoming more and more mainstream, and speeds faster, things started becoming shittier. You’ve had to share your internet life with your real-life. It was pretty much important to belong to some internet community more or less, otherwise maybe you’d be passed as a boring and uncool person.

Now at 10s especially things became even worse since internet life now’s considered your PRIMARY life basically. Speeds have become even faster and Guess how many hrs/day you have to spend at least to inform your friends in fb/twitter/ig about where are you, and what are you doing now (I don’t talk about me, but many people do this).

Seems like if you don’t use internet then you’ve got no-life and you are considered an outcast. Not just boring and uncool! so you are pretty much forced to use internet in one way or another. Also you’ve gotta carry your mobile/tablet if you go out for a long time, just to check new updates.

Although there are good points for fast internet speed:

- Download files fast

- Quick access to any info

- Videos are more enjoyable and they don’t get stuck

- Phone’s not locked when you use internet anymore

But still…do you believe internet keeps you very busy indeed?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 8

• I was born in '74. Being a kid for the late 70s and 80s was awesome. You're right there was a balance of technology and real life. I used to think what was better was being born without technology altogether back then. I started out on BBS programs, chatting only about once an hour at night. We had lots of outside time and I think we were way healthier, and a lot nicer to each other.

If anyone questions their online life, please watch this. This video actually affected me so greatly that I deleted Facebook, Imdb, Goodreads, and a few other unknown-ish site that no one would know - all because they gobbled up too much of my time. Time to change that. Enjoy:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7dLU6fk9QY

• The problem isn't technology... it is the misuse of technology
    All of the changes are great !

• yeah... but people tend to abuse things

• So the problem is the people which I am pointing out.
      I personally love the changes I just don't like the misuse of them.

• Awesome take. It made me think about how the fist computer my family had used windows 95. Didn't have internet but I LOVED the games we had on it. ^^

Though even now I never use social medias. Only ones I do use is Skype, youtube, and gag. Nothing else. :D I have a facebook but it's rare if I log on. Still I never use it anymore since I stopped caring about anyone knowing whats going on in my life over a page. Still thanks to how the internet is now you can be more connect with other people in the world and expand you knowledge farther than any other person in other decades. :)

• Internet is a big part of my life. I'm dependent on it.

• I wish I grew up in the 80s my mom has so many amazing stories about what they did. All me and my friends do is play on out phones. I wish I could do somthing different.

• A very good take in deed. My life before Internet was so much more interesting and fun than now. Wanna know why? Because it had real people in it and I had real friends to play with. Now I play temple run 2 by myself. Ugh... things Internet does to me!

• i use internet since a kid so technically i can't imagine much how it was before

• whoa that's rare...

• Sometimes I feel like I'm an 80 year old grandma stuck in a 20 year old's body! ~~ Oh the feels... ~~

• Oh those were the days.
    The meeting with friends at arkade places, packman competitions.
    The no mobile phones. True freedom
    The atari TV games. The 10001 in one cassette.

• If we could give MHO's for takes you would get all my votes for this take!

• Awwww thanks ^_^

What Guys Said 10

• I completely agree.

• Good and Bad - Nowadays you are a moments notice from talking to someone, relaying and receiving information, researching information. Lets face able to do complex tasks more efficiently and store more information so in that way life is easier.
    Bad in the sense everything is more urgent, I sent a text to x at 9.00 and he/she hasn't replied in 3 hours and 22 minutes, what is wrong? - When I was growing up and out of school over 18 it was possible to go a week without talking to your best friend without wondering why as long as you met in pub on Friday everything was fine. I think back to 80s as more spiritual time when individuality was lauded and generic scorned - Would the 21st century have produced The Smiths, Joy Division, Shane McGowan, Mike Scott to name but a few.
    While I appreciate the improvements technology has made in my life, I also think back to being outdoors 14 hours a day on my summer holiday when being a Curehead was mainstream with romantic nostalgia.

• I actually have resorted to this kind of living again, and all thanks to getting off Facebook. Facebook put me in the face of all my friends at all times, and theirs in mine. There was no excuse to not get back to someone when you knew they were online. I cut my FB account, and told my friends, "If you want me you'll have to get a hold of me the old fashioned way." Now, I'm starting to receive actual phone calls again.

I remember back in the 80s I thought our world was going to hell in a handcart when the phone company came out with call waiting. Putting people on hold to talk to another was just mind blowing. I hated having it happen to me and felt like it was a terrible way technology was advancing to have us now disconnect from some and reconnect with others. Talk about knowing where you are on the chopping block when a call came in!

I'm weaning down to nearly a natural life without being online. GaG will be my last kick, then that will be it.

• I loved the 90 and 2000 times.

But I do not much agree with how Internet "ruined" life. Some poor people literally have NOTHING to do other than to play games on multiplayers. I am one of them because I am yet powerless. I would do so many activities if I only had the money for it but I am yet so dependent and it sucks. I'm currently working to be independent so I can do whatever the fuck I want.

For my eyes, the internet keeps life bearable in combating both time and boredom. Not everybody lives in teletubby land. Those, who do not, they try to hide in the virtual world so they do not have to deal with the shit they are experiencing.

But if people constantly have to check phones and tablets for longer than looking in their real journeys, that's a very big damage!

• "For my eyes, the internet keeps life bearable in combating both time and boredom. "<---- true dat

but still... my point's u feel PRESSURED to use internet sometimes and throw away yer real-life coz u have to dedicate some hrs here... otherwise u'd feel like an outcast... isn't it true?

• Grammar is just one little thing, no biggie. If you shorten words in to unreadable and miss punctuations, then I just stop and move on as I do not receive any information out of the letter salad. That's the main thing I want to make clear.

• and i've stated many times here i hate da word "gr... ar" and i prefer to call it "sentence structure but i won't force u to stop usin it. let anybody use wotever style he wants without judgin him... and don't tell me u cannot recognize dat "da" means "the"..."u" means "you"... or "dat" means "that"... relax and see it as sth funny and don't go stingy all over it

• Yeah I wish I could go back in time...

• You only said 'basically' once! :o What a progression!

Nice take! :)

• thanks... and not only... i can write properly as u see... since it's a take :p

• "I believe 80s and 90s were the best times for a human being to live"

For Africans it was about the worst time in all of history to live.

• oops sorry... this take is for europeans/americans mostly...

• On the other hand, the Internet and all the tech supporting and making use of it has created entire new industries that employ millions of people.

The main problem is that the Internet has dramatically changed society in a very short timespan and we're still adjusting. Plenty of kids in the 80's and 90's were addicted to television and various game consoles. Addiction isn't new. Neither are group-expectations ("A Sega? Hahaha we all have Super Nintendo's, loser!").

Nostalgia-goggles are powerful and I am thankful to have witnessed the shift from offline to online, but I wouldn't want to go back. The Internet has brought us a lot of convenience after all.

• whoa video-games were sure a big thing in da 90s... since internet was painfully slow.. i guess people prefered playin video-games

• Cool take :)
    I'm minimizing the internet usage from my life.
    data.whicdn.com/.../...LifeLoadingPlease_large.gif

• I wish we lived in a simpler time.
    Cool fake, Klaau51!

• i\d like to xperience computer age from its sart so i'd have a deeper knowledge now

• That'd b cool B-)

• The best times for americans, maybe.

• y only americans?

• Yeah. I don't think Africa was having a nice time then. Or my country for that matter.