Why does my dog bark at anyone in uniform?

I was walking my dog, he's a German Shepherd mixed with Rottweiler. We went to the park and a police officer got out of his car and asked to pet him. I said yes and when he tried to he started growling and barking but he lets anyone else touch him. Another time, a guy in the army was walking past my house and my dog started barking at him and tried to chase him.

Most Helpful Guy

• I heard that the main reason dogs can/will bite mailmen is the fact that everytime the dog sees him, he barks, and the mailman leaves (after dropping off the mail), everyday. This gives the dog the impression that he is the dominant one. Maybe that's why?

What Guys Said 6

• I don't know - Maybe they remind the dog of something not nice

• afraid of em?

• Do people in uniform make you nervous? The dog might be picking up on that. It could be multiple things but that's my best guess!

• He's anarchist.

• Your dog has no respect for authority!

• Dogs don't like mailmen, that's just how it is

What Girls Said 2

• Sounds to me that he hates anyone that might have any kind of authority. ;D

I've heard that dogs imitate the feelings of their owners. If you don't like cops, he can sense it.

• Did they wear hats? Sometimes if they see something that they're not familiar with they can get very defensive