Why is my orthodontist mad at me after I didn't wear my retainer for a month?

I lost my retainer a month ago and I didn't wear it since then and she told me that my teeth shifted a lot and I have to wear it everyday. Ever since I lost it, she got so mad at me. I feel like a horrible person. Why would my orthodontist be mad at me for my teeth shifting? Does she have every right to be mad at me for this?

Most Helpful Girl

• Because you are letting all that work go for nothing and showing that you can't be responsible for even such a thing as a retainer. You should have gone in right after you lost it and gotten a replacement and there wouldn't have been shifting

What Guys Said 2

• i hope you need braces again, you should have gotten you retainer as soon as possible! i dont think you realize why she is upset. You should be more worried about your teeth than how she feels about you

• If I was your ortho I wouldn't mind, I'd tell you what's wrong but that's juts more money for meeee

What Girls Said 2

• You go into the orthodontist's office once a month to get whatever you're wearing to straighten your teeth, realign your jaw, or something else readjusted. To get your teeth closer to the finished product your orthodontist is working towards. If you don't wear your retainer as often as they recommend you to, this will halt their work, potentially a huge setback if your teeth shift too much.

She technically has a right to be mad because your'e paying her to 'fix' your teeth. That's only possible with the cooperation of the both of you though, so by failing to wear your retainer, you're making her job much more difficult, if not impossible.

• Trust me yes. Mine got mad at me, not my om, when I went on vacation for 5 weeks at 13 and grew 2 inches but my jaw stayed the same size. Get fitted for a permanent retainer on top and bottom. Mine didn't give me a choice but I'm glad because my teeth are straighter than my brothers.