Boyfriend threw out his back, how can I help?

Last night, my boyfriend (24) came home yesterday complaining his back was sore from work (he works as a maintenance man in a hotel) and I hate seeing people I love in pain so I offered to run him a hot shower and make him something to eat for when he got out... I went to start the water so it could warm up and I saw the only insect that I'm absolutly petrified of: crickets. I know its silly, but I've always been terrified of them. I screamed and jumped onto the counter and my boyfriend came rushing in. He immediately saw the cricket and took a little cup he keeps in the bathroom just for this and bent to pick it up so he could go toss it outside (he doesn't kill things) and when he did he said he felt like a 'pop' in his mid and low back. Niether one of us heard it, but he was struggled to stand upright and walk to tossed the cricket. He took an ibuprophan and put a heating pad on his back and went straight to bed. He' been in a lot of pain since then and he can hardly stand up an I have to help him walk and do things. I feel terrible that he got hurt. I'm taking on the roll of care taker until he 100% better... is there anyway to help him get better?

Most Helpful Guy

• If it's not feeling at all better in a day or two, definitely take him to the doctor. Otherwise, if he feels like he pulled a muscle, massage it for him. Getting the blood flowing through it will help him heal. I have pulled my back muscles 3 times from working out, and usually I can feel it for two weeks, but last time I did, I massaged it constantly, and I was back in the gym in a week.

• I massaged his back this morning and he said it helped. How can we tell if it's just a pulled muscle?

• Well he's up and mobile now, but he keeps swearing it still hurts, then asks if I would mind giving him a massage. I thing he's over his pulled muscle. Thank you again for your help.

• You're welcome. And yeah, in my experience, even though it's not as bad as before, it takes between 1 and 2 weeks for it to stop hurting completely, so just keep on with the massages :)

What Guys Said 6

• Lower back strain. Time and rest. Hot and cold pads on the area. It is amazing how debilitating an injury like that is. The lower back muscles are used for so many movements. He will be down for several days.

• I am in the same situation perhaps worse, its a nightmare, its gonna be long and costly. don't go to a regular doctor they are miserable at this, go directly to a specialist.
    read this book the 7 day back pain cure.

• If its bad enough to immobilize him for anything longer than a couple days I'd suggest taking him to the doctor to see whats wrong. At the moment, let him rest, help him when he needs it and if it persists see the doctor immediately.

• yeah get him to see a doctor those things can get dangerous and of course complete relaxation

• I've heard of people being afraid of ladybugs, so, you're not weird, a little unorthodox but, nothing weird. I don't know, sounds like it just needs to be snapped back in to place, a trained professional should do that

• Give him a blow job

What Girls Said 4

• You can't do anything when someone's sore it goes away by itself if anything he can drink pain relievers and keep on putting warm things on his back which will help the pain go away a little but that's basically all you can do but if the pain doesn't get better I would suggest going to a doctor because maybe he pulled a muscle

• get him to a doctor

• Lot's of love while he's hurt. Keep him company and make sure he gets loads of rest. Sometimes massage can help. Hope he feels better soon.

• A doctor...