Just got a speeding ticket?

so today i got a speeding ticket. im 18 but im living at home and my parents still act like im 14. what do i do they overreact about eveything even stupid little things. and do i have to go to court or can i just do traffic school. by the way i live in california.

Most Helpful Guy

• if you were 18 when you got it (and it wasn't hilariously fast) you dont have to go to court. If you were a minor you have to go to court (I got one when I was 16 also in CA). I would totally go to court regardless. The date on your ticket is just to enter a plea (guilty, not, no contest) and set up a court date if you plea not guilty. If you go and talk to the judge theyll almost certainly lessen the fine. I got hit for 55 in a 40 and the judge cut my fine in half just because I showed up and dressed well. Your parents might freak out (mine did) and I'd volunteer to pay it out of your pocket (I would expect you to but I don't know how your family works). Since its your first you'll be able to take traffic school and have it wiped from your insurance record (DMV and police in CA still see it but that only matters if you get pulled over again and they dont want to give you a warning). Since we live in CA you have to pay for the traffic school AND pay california to let you take traffic school. I assume you dont know how much the ticket is? I think my first one ended up costing me like 180-220 after everything was said and done.

• my parents act like I'm 14 i left college cause i was having problems and they took all my money i have nothing cause i can't find a job and it was a 65 mph zone and the cop put me for 75+ I don't know what speed i was going

• Thats interesting that he didn't actually put a speed down. There are a bunch of things you can do from here. You dont have to go to court to pay it and do traffic school. Your court date won't be for a few months and you have the ability postpone that date by a few months without having to pay anything. From there you can go and request an actual trial and hope the officer doesn't show up (happens sometimes and then the ticket goes away especially if you do some research and try and get your court date on a holiday or training day). My guess is you'll be able to pull off 4+ months before you'll be obligated to pay it.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes you will probably go to court, in court the judge will decide what you do. I did traffic school.

The ticket, court fees, and traffic school are all quite expensive so unless you're paying all that and unless you pay insurance you can't really complain about your parents bitching about it.

What Guys Said 18

• I feel ya but parents trip a lot too :/ they probably gonna be like "see this is what i'm talking about! and you always say your fine or you got it" <- even though you're right/fine 95% of the time and you just happen to slip up once. Now you'll never hear the end of it from them even though you don't brag when you're right which is like 9/10 smh

um I think you gotta go to traffic court or something. Not too sure cause I think its different for every state. I would have a friend take me there if I were you and just tell you parents that you're going job hunting so you'll be gone most of the day.

• I'm not sure what the law is there, I'm from Australia and we don't have to go to court over a speeding fine unless we wish to dispute it.
    So I suggest just paying it. How much were you over the limit by? If it isn't very much you could probably get it waved in court

• Better Call Saul. :-) Whether you have to go to court or just pay the fine or if traffic school is an option depends on many factors, including the nature of the offense (if it happened in a school zone), how fast over the limit you were going, what state it occurred in, whether you live in the jurisdiction where the incident occurred, whether you've been to traffic school before, how many prior points you have, etc. Best to call the clerk of court and see what your options are. But just know they cannot give you anything considered to be legal advise. But they should be able to tell you what options are available.

• Your parents are going to always treat you as a kid and you better get use it it. I'm 42 and they still treat me as a kid. Regarding the ticket you might have to go to court and ask for traffic school , in illinois once you pay the fine you can sign up for the class

• I say this sincerely, not in a talking down to way.

Being a parent is one of the most stressful things a person can be.
    If they lose their crap from time to time, cut them some slack.

There are few things as critical as having other people depend on you. Just imagine, in order to keep someone healthy by giving them freedom, you have to allow them to drive which means you can't keep them safe. Especially with the insane drivers that are out there.

• Dude, been there, done that.

Just pay up and you'll be fine. From the age of 15 until 18 I got about 20 tickets for no rego, no permit, no insurance, reckless driving and endangerment.

Still get the odd ticket even now with a fully registered, insured vehicle.

As I said, just pay the ticket.

• can i just pay it in california cause the cop said i HAD to go to court

• Not sure, I'm in CT. Here you just gotta pay the ticket and then that's the end of it.

The cop might've been tryna put a scare into you. I can't see in what possible universe you'd have to go to court for a speeding ticket.

• Not sure about CA , but in TN there is a safety class (8hours) that you attend. After which you get a year where if you don't get another ticket it goes away.
    Best thing to do is go to the police station and ask

by the way at some point you have to tell them, as frustrating as it may be.

• Go to court. Plead not guilty. They will give you a new court date. Go. And then proceed to learn that you will never have to pay for another speeding ticket again. Your welcome.

• You should've yelped a auto lawyer

• Just gotta tell them. Usually you just have to either go to court or pay the fine

• Pay it and suffer the higher insurance rates

• how fast were you going and what was the speed limit?

• How about next time you don't speed? Or just don't get caught? :P

• just pay online

• You don't necessarily have to tell your parents

• i do the car is in their name and i don't have any money to pay the ticket and I don't know if i have to go to court

• Who pays your auto insurance?

• Your parebts' reaction will be justified or otherwise by the nature of your offense.

What Girls Said 4

• Um... can't you just pay it online?

• You can just go by yourself to pay for it, wherever that is!

• ... pay it? and you shouldn't have to go to court? But they'll know, because your insurance will go up.

• If it's your first moving violation you'll probably just have to pay the ticket.