Which gender has a higher pain tolerance?

When I was in high school, I use to hear all the girls say that women have better pain tolerance than men, but whenever those girls got a small paper cut they started to complain about how bad the paper cut hurt. When I spranged my right ankle, I laughed about it and didn't even care. I am starting to think that the amount of pain tolerance is determined by the individual person, not the gender. What does everyone else think?

Please note that pain tolerance is different than Pain threshold.
I notice, some people say that women have a higher pain tolerance (the amount of pain a person can deal with) because they give birth. I think what they mean is that women tend to have a higher pain threshold (the point where pain begins to be felt). In my opinion the amount of pain tolerance felt is determined by the individual.

Most Helpful Girl

• i definitely think it depends on the person. if i get a paper cut, i'll forget about it within like 5 seconds. and this one summer i sprained my ankle THREE times! i dont know how it happened because i rarely sprain my ankle but in one summer it happened. the first time i was kind of mad but not because it hurt that much, it was because i couldnt work out normally for like a week, and the second and third time, i just found it funny. like what are the odds! but also, just like another girl said, we are more vocal about it like i'll say "ow!" but it doesn't mean its the worst pain ever, its just my first reaction. also this one time i fell off a long board while going down hill at a fast pace so i literally rolled like 3 times when i fell off and i was bleeding a little but i had no clue until later because i didn't think much of it, just got back on the board and kept going.

Most Helpful Guy

• men ususally have a higher pain tolerance than women. but during birth a woman's brain makes such an amount of dopamine (which is a painkiller made by the body) that she can deal with giving birth without too much pain to die of shock or to pass out. if you are going to compare kicking to the testicles with giving birth thats not going to work, since when you are kicked in the testicles the dopamine comes afterwards. if you compare being kicked in the balls and being kicked in the vagina, there have been reported deaths of women as well as men from being kicked there. people usually die of shock due to pain, as there is a nerve going from the genitalia directly to the brain, and it passes by the heart, you can get a heart attack from being attacked in your genitalia. men due to evolution have a higher pain tolerance because it is them who are more violent and engage in combat more often than women.

What Girls Said 18

• I think pain tolerance depends on the person. Many of my girlfriends can't take pain, they shreek and complain when they get hurt. I on the other hand have a very high pain tolerance, I'm not afraid of needles or when I need to draw blood for the doctor. I threw my back out 15yrs ago and I never touched the T3's. I was in the hospital 2yrs ago because a virus attacked my heart and had to have my blood pressure taken by inserting the instuent in my vien. That hurt like hell but I just gritted my teeth and held on, totally surprised the nurses and doctors who commented how tough I was.

• Depends.

it doesn't really matter on the gender, it's more about the individual. Some men and women are equally lower on pain tolerance or equally higher.

• depends on the individual I broke my arm and didn't realise for two days, I don't think I've complained about much painwise, except for tonsillitus. I end up starving myself cus I can't eat, and feeling your muscles shred when you walk and you can barely stand from lack of energy, is horrible.

• Emotional: Guys
    Physical: Girls
    This is most of the time, not always. Sometimes is the opposite.

• I agree with you there are some wimps that are girls and guys at my school who I lift heavier shit and get heavy shit dropped on my feet a lot

• *ahem*

Man flu anyone?

Men are whingers.

Also mens soccor. Seen it? Go compare it to womens soccor.

I think its clear who wins.

• Soccer players fake injuries to cause other players to get fouls. I can give you names of many men that have a almost superhuman pain tolerance, like Mark Callaway and Brock Lesnar.

• There is no difference. It is highly individualized based in previous experience with pain. I just finished a psych pain tolerance study and I have read countless empirical journal publishings on the subject, and there is not a significant difference. However, it is noted that women who have experienced child birth have very high pain tolerance.

• I'd say women. But we are a lot more vocal about any sort of pain

• That would make a little sense, but why do I notice a lot when females get a small injury (cuts, falls etc) they cry and beg for the pain to stop. Now if us males get the same injuries, we tend to laugh and ignore the pain. That's why I think pain tolerance comes down to the individual.

• Actually since you guys don't have the reproductive hormones we have Oxford has proven you guys feel things a lot more intensely than we do. Estrogens that come from our reproductive systems makes pain less intense. A lot of women get men crap for the man flu or acting like little colds are life threatening. but men actually feel things a lot more intensely than we do.

• It could be that women naturally have a higher pain threshold (point were pain begins to be felt) but a lot of people say pain tolerance (how much pain a person can deal with) is determined by the individual.

• I'd say women usually have a higher pain tolerance (I mean we push humans out of our vaginas and regularly have our uteruses continuously contract for five days at a time) but I think it's determined by the individual.

• People say that the female reproductive system has a high pain threshold. The pain tolerance (which is different than pain threshold) of the rest of the body is based on the individual person.

• That makes more sense now, thanks.

• No problem 😊

• women have the higher pain tolerance that is why we give birth and not men

• It could be higher pain threshold that you mean, however the female reproductive system has a very high pain threshold. When it comes to the rest of the body, a lot of people agree that it comes down to the individual person.

• @anonman32
      that may be so but it does not even reduce the amount of pain a woman goes through in order to have children

• what do you not understand about painkillers? with these dopamine levels child birth would be lethal.

• based on the individual, i have a high pain tolerance

• I don't know but I have a high pain tolerance

• Women do, periods and childbirth enough said lol

• Childbirth, periods, hitting your tit on a wall (happens), yet most of us are still alive. Though it's not a requirement some of us wax, pluck, and get surgeries. When I wax my pits it sounds painful but I don't cry. When guys wax on youtube they scream and tear up. So I'm voting females generally. We're made to go through a lot.

• Pain threshold is different than pain tolerance. Pain threshhold determines at what point the person starts to feel pain pain tolerance is how much pain a person can deal with. You seem to have a good pain threshold.

• Some people are just more vocal about it. I'm a female introvert and keep all pain bottled up, barely complaining. Then there are extroverts who annoyingly complain nonstop. Or people who explode and start swearing.
    Pain tolerance and how each person reacts to pain vary.

• I would say girls. We go through pregnancy, birth, and periods. Guys don't experience bad pains and bleeding out of their dicks every month.

• I hear that a lot, I also hear that female reproductive system naturally has a high pain tolerance but when it comes to dealing with other pain (cuts, bruises etc) it comes down to the individual.

• Depends on the individual.

What Guys Said 6

• Pain tolerance implies equal levels of pain are being experienced. That requires mental toughness. Whoever has the most mental toughness or more "don't give a damn" has the highest pain tolerance. End of story.

If your body is physically more prepared than someone else on a given task you will not experience the same pain as them. It won't burn as much. It's only when both people have equal pain levels that you can really measure who has a higher pain tolerance. If guys could get pregnant, we would experience more pain during birth because our body isn't as well prepared as a womans.

• men are more pain tolerant. that´s scientifically proven. girls just use the giving birth argument against us, cause we can not experience it anyway. personal tolerance may vary but men are on average more tolerant to pain.

www.medicinenet.com/.../art.asp?articlekey=51160

• thats not really true i would say women or most women because iv been told giving birth is the worst pain there is.

• They say a female's reproductive system is meant to deal with a lot of pain, but the pain tolerance in the rest of the female's varies.

• i can agree with that to a point but i do know women with a high threshold for pain. though its rare but it varies like you said.

• Males.

• Trannies Think about it

• Females cuz they give childbirth and need it better pain tolerance.

• That's what a lot of people say, but I also hear that the female reproductive system is meant to deal with a lot of pain, but as for the rest of the body, it comes down to the individual person. Like the paper cut example I used.