Why don't women like wearing pantyhose?

I thought I'd throw this out there for all of you women. I saw a feature on on of the morning news shows that said women are not wearing pantyhose to work and formal events as in the past, and pantyhose wear is declining overall. I found this piece to be interesting, since men of my generation grew up admiring hose on women's legs. Please share your views on this subject ladies?

Most Helpful Guy

• I have to regularly interview women for office jobs. These days, the interviewees rarely wear pantyhose. This is a shame, because bare legs lack the elegance of legs in pantyhose. All the imperfections show, the color is variable and they lack smoothness and shape. Somehow, women seem to have got the impression that going barelegged is sexier. IT'S NOT!! Call me a chauvinist if you want, but the women who take the trouble to wear pantyhose go to the top of the jobs list. Sorry ladies, if that's not what you wanted to hear...

• Of course we didn't want to hear that. Men have imperfect legs too, but do they wear pantyhose to impress anyone? No. And eventually, those hose are gonna come off, and you still have imperfections anyway.

• My clients all put "must be smartly dressed" in the criteria for the job. If I think a candidate is suitable for the post, I get my assistant Sarah to explain the dress code. 99% are fine about it and dress accordingly. If not, I have to find someone else

• Men have imperfect legs too, however, they generally don't go bare legged into work much. Ever see a professional guy wearing a nice button down shirt & tie... wearing shorts and shoes with no socks?
      Most people, women included, would think that is inappropriate for the workplace... not to mention, looks terrible.
      Hosiery for women completes the outfit, and has come a very long way since the 80's.
      Forget the drugstore brands, give Commando or Blanqi hosier a try. You will simply be amazed at how comfortable they are. Let's face it, unless you wear flip flops & shorts all day everyday, we all dress to impress to a certain degree. You'll get far more complements while wearing nicer hosier. Guaranteed.

What Girls Said 20

• Because if you don't shave often and well, they grab your little leg hairs and pull them (I rarely shave, since I'm very blonde and you can't really see or feel the hair - it's very nice and handy, except when hose are involved). It's very painful. Also, they'll get a run if you just look at them the wrong way, and you never have clear nail polish on you when they do, or you do have it and you walk around smelling like fresh nail polish for the rest of the day and they're glued to your leg.

And if you want to stay warm, tights are better anyway. And, with the advent of the tanning salon, fewer women have blindingly white legs. And pants are generally more comfortable, anyway. :P

• They are horribly itchy. They snag and run before you have them on sometimes and I think on average last about 1 wear, which is pricey since they cost like $10 a piece. Sure they look nice, but a lot of younger women these days would rather go bare-legged (also sexy and a lot less constrictive/itchy) on casual occasions. Also, there's probably a whole lot of women who wear PANTS to work!

I think the garterbelt and thigh hose are kinda sexy and fun, but I can't think of anything good about pantyhose. So unless it is an occasion for which they are really required, I'd rather pass.

• Try Leggs Sheer Energy, as long as you use hair spray on them and put lotion on your legs b4 putting them on you will get at least a half a dozen wears out of them. Plus they look and feel very sexy on your legs :)

• They are horrible! I don't mind thigh hose but pantyhose are bad.

• First of all they are very itchy

second they're uncomfortable

third they look very slutty.

And maybe it depends and the ladies who wear them.

• Argh I HATE the word pantyhose!

They're tights ok!?

But anyway. I always wear tights, I have horrible legs which have stretch marks and varicose veins (even at my age - I'm only 16 in 2 months! )

But I think that if you don't have to wear them, then why bother?

X

• Long ago women wore nylons that had to be held up by garters. Someone decided to make things easier and combined the nylons with a built in panty. And they be can pantyhose. Not tights. Tights were much thicker. They were opaque and warmer than pantyhose. Since then people have corrupted the definitions and they mean almost the same thing. The weight of the yarn and the thickness of the weave determines which is the right name. Anything up to 40 denier is considered to be pantyhose, the heavier material makes them tights.

More from Girls
15

What Guys Said 10

• I have to agree... it is really too bad that women don't like wearing them that much. I have to admit, when I see a women wearing pantyhose or stockings, it's an instant turn-on. Almost to the point where it's difficult to stop looking. Well-tanned or toned legs look good in general, but stockings just bring it to a whole new level.

I hear from women generally they like thigh-high stockings better instead, just because they're softer, less restrictive when they go to the bathroom, and if they get a run in one of them, they don't have to throw both of them out. From a health standpoint, pantyhose don't really allow a woman to breathe downstairs, so it can also be a nuisance from being more prone to yeast infections, stuff like that. Not to mention the other things like being itchy and wanting to scratch their legs to death too, especially a couple days after shaving.

How do I know all this? My fiance told me, and I actually listened because she has awesome legs, but she has a lot of the hangups with pantyhose... she likes wearing thigh-high stockings instead when she wears skirts and heels out somewhere. It's cool by me, because as she put it, it helps to have a little "easier access" at the end of the night, if you know what I mean.

• Because it can promote infections

• Welcome to the 21st Century. Women don't care about looking good for men anymore. And thanks to the media, many would rather put their effort into being as skinny as possible. They will barf out their pizza and starve themselves (in a day and age where hunger was supposed to be a thing of the past) just to be skinny like an adolescent.

The irony is that women follow other fashions are really uncomfortable like hauling those luggage cases instead back-packs for carrying around books. How idiotic, those women must endure a lot of back and shoudler pain.

But both sexes IMO are looking worse than ever in modern times. Seriously. Go to any school or college campus and see drones of men wearing running shoes and poor fitting, overly casual clothing .

Anyways, elegance is dead on this side of the hemisphere. It'll die in other parts of the world as people see looking like dog sh*t (AKA "casual") as a symbol of democracy and freedom.

• Could not have said it better myself...............thank you, Sir.

• It's all about what's "instyle". I mean a lot of womens clothes and shoes are uncomfortable, but style dictates what a lot of women would wear. Jeans, t-shirts and flip flops are popular and more comfy. I hear women say they are itchy well just buy a nice pair and you won't have that problem. No grocery store or wal-mart pantyhose. Anyways thanks for listening.

• Itchy? I've worn pantyhose about everyday for years and the only time they itched was when I had stubble,hair or cheap grocery store/ walmart pantyhose. Now I will agree some can be binding and uncomfy. Mostly the control top squeeze the life out of you try some light control top or none. It's time to splurge a little on your pantyhose I know they are expensive but well worth it most likely you won't hate them at the end of the day. Take a look at shapings.com they have a wonderful selection of fine hosiery some outrageous some comparable to hanes or victorias but superseeds the quality ,feel and fit. In my opinion they are the most feminine article of clothing a woman can slip into. You can't justify an argument on how uncomfy they are when you will say tights and fishnets are ok. Now those are uncomfy. Sheer pantyhose are just way out of style for everyday wear. Just like when they were "in" you rarely saw women without! They complete most outfits.

More from Guys
5