Signs You're Not Over Your Ex Yet...

It’s been months since your ex said adieu to you and you still cannot stop thinking of the shoulda could've woulda’s and the why’s. Of your romantic past together and the good even the bad times you spent for years. The days become longer, the nights colder… You’re still holding on to them even if they’re already in the arms of someone else or living their life without you. Here are signs you’re totally not over them when you should’ve been already if they already have long moved on.

Signs You're Not Over Your Ex Yet...

1. You keep asking for a closure

There is no such thing as closure. The break up was the end of your relationship. No matter how blissful it was, it is done. There is no more you and him/her. It is finished. Get over it. They left you and they are not coming back. Asking them why, where did you go wrong is not going to fix the relationship. It was too late for you to try to mend what was already long broken. Their sail has already gone. The more you wanted ask for a “closure”, the more you causing pain on yourself and you are pushing them far far away from you.

Signs You're Not Over Your Ex Yet...

2. You try to make them jealous

You think by jumping into a rebound relationship right after getting dumped is going to send your ex running back into your arms begging you to take them back. Sometimes it brings more damage than good. It makes them more think they were right of getting rid of you as you were able to replace them just like that.

Signs You're Not Over Your Ex Yet...

3. You try too hard

Fake it till you make it. That’s what you do blasting on social media your new found single happy life going out with all these new guys and announcing to the world how happy you are with your new found freedom. It’s like telling your ex in their face, good riddance, I am happier now without you. This will cause them more to say, thank you I got rid of you too. You weighed me down in the relationship and this is why I left you.

4. You check their social media religiously

They might have already blocked you or unfriended/unfollowed you, but this doesn’t stop you from obsessively checking on their social media. Closely monitoring their every post to see who they’re dating or where in the world they are now and if they’re sad without you in their life.

5. You “accidentally” message/called them

Lamest excuse ever. Your phone doesn’t accidentally butt dial your ex (specifically). It’s your lame excuse just to get a reaction from them or force them to awkwardly text you back or pick up the phone to be polite… Please don’t do this. It makes you look desperate and still hung up on them. This will discount all the charades you have created on social media. It will really drive your ex far away from you all the way to Timbuktu. Just don’t.

Signs You're Not Over Your Ex Yet...

6. You always compare them to a new potential romantic partner

Your new flame almost looks like your ex’s twin sibling. The resemblance is uncanny and if you do bump into your ex in public with your new flame, they’d be shocked to see you’re dating an exact replica of them. Your ex will think you still haven’t move on and that is another no no. It is unfair to date someone new because they look like/act like your ex. Or you date someone who's the total opposite of them... You’re going to end up breaking their heart and it’s downright disrespectful dragging some innocent person into your drama because you want to spite your ex.

Signs You're Not Over Your Ex Yet...

7. You still break down every time

You still get emotional/flashbacks every time you see or hear even smell something that reminds you of your ex. You still hold on to so many things/mementos that your ex shared/gave to you. You can't just let go. You re-read all the texts/voicemails from them reminiscing everything about them.

Signs You're Not Over Your Ex Yet...

8. You try to bump into them

You frequent places hoping you’d “bump” into them because you miss them so much. It’s not accidental they saw you there. You’re hoping to bump into them so you can catch up like old times. Uhm no. The next time you see them with their new s/o, you’d only end up breaking your heart into million pieces so steer away. Far away from there. You even make up all these excuses to make them meet you. Oh I still have your toothbrush in my house. Would you want to come by and pick it up? Or you want me to drop it off at your new house? Damn...

Signs You're Not Over Your Ex Yet...

9. You ask them to be your friend

No. Just no. Why? For what? Maybe centuries down the road, yes. But not after a break up. You’re keeping them there in your life hoping they’d change their mind and maybe they still love you and ask for a reunion. What if they never come back? They’d come back to you for their love problems? For their shoulder to lean on/cry on? Ouch. Just hell no.

Signs You're Not Over Your Ex Yet...

10. You’re still single

You’re technically single but you’re off the market. Because in your heart of hearts, you are still hoping and wishing, your love of your life will come back one day. Like the adage goes, “If you love them, set them free. If they come back, they were always yours.” NO. Don’t put your life on hold for one person who left you. Get your act together and live life according to you!

Signs You're Not Over Your Ex Yet...

It is hard to lose someone so dear and important to us but it is not the end of the world for you. Learn to accept the fact you and they had shortcomings that just didn’t make the relationship work and letting go is the best way to both heal each other. Sometimes, breakups are not the end for you. Sometimes it is the beginning of a new love life that will make you see what love truly is. You might even thank your ex for leaving you as they gave way for a new amazing person to come along to give you the love you deserve.

Thanks for the time reading!

XOs Pinay_Ako

717
Pinay_ako is a GirlsAskGuys Influencer
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guys

• Very true signs. I have to say on your first point though, they very much can help give you closure, especially if they left you with more questions than answers (something women especially like to do it seems). My last break up, I accepted she didn't want me (disappointed, of course, but accepted it), but her actions suggested otherwise and made no sense to me whats so ever. You're right, it's over, BUT, you can very much help the person move on and help them accept it by talking it over with them and answering questions.

• Yes, but sometimes being there too much with your ex to help them move on is not really helping them move on because you are still pretty involved in their lives... How can you forget someone who gave you too many memories? It won't be easy but we got to cut our losses and keep going forward. See the problem with your ex was she was giving you mixed signals. which doesn't help you heal for the dumpee. When you break up with someone as the dumper, make sure you are clear why and the reason is legitimate. Do not leave room for a reconciliation if the relationship was already toxic and holding you both down.

• Agree, there has to be a line. In my case, there was no explanation whats so ever, just she didn't want it and it was over. I never knew her thought process on it, or what she thought of me (in general even) or nothing. Made it really hard to get over. I'm still not completely over it and it's been over a year! lol But you're right, you can be there too much also.

• Oh so sorry to hear that... We think we know people who are dear to us but we really don't until they wake up one morning, they don't want us in their lives anymore. :(

• I don't agree with the last one. Just because you're single, doesn't mean you are not over them. A lot of people who are fine single and wouldn't change a thing.

• I said the very reason you are still single because in your heart of hearts you're still hoping your ex might come back...

• I know what you meant I was just providing possible scenarios.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm friends with almost all of my exes 😂 you grow out of love, grow up and accept that the person you dated was once someone you really appreciated as a friend.

• Then you never loved anyone but passing your time with them. Because if you loved someone, you would never be able to see him as a friend.

• I think it's rather the opposite. I accepted that we grew apart. And I'm rather happy with my current boyfriend so there is no reason for me to feel anything towards my exes except acceptance, appreciation and friendship

Join the discussion

615
  • 11. You're still having sex with them

• If this happened to me is run for the hills. I cut myself off cold turkey.
    Yes, it's hard at first (or so I've hard) but in the long run, it's better that way.
    I don't want my ex back. Although it's hardly his essentially being a part of your 'extended ' family by law. But I'm ok with that, it's not like I get along with that side of the family anyway.
    That being said though I am totally over him
    And now I'm rambling

• 9* there is nothing wrong about been a friend with an ex. If both ended in good terms and know there is to many things in between to be more than friends, why not?

Now, been close, close friends is another thing.

• I think your attitude is immature, you can be friends, if your interactions are mutually beneficial sometime after you break up.

• Yes you can be friends... But not right after a break up when the feelings are still raw. Most of the times, it is not mutually beneficial especially if you are the one left. This is not immature attitude at all.

• Yeah it is.

• It's hard to forget about your ex but if you live for first 21 days you can overcome. So, target for first 21 days.

• TAKE HONEST TIME IN LETTING HER GO! STARTING SOMETHING TOO SOON ONLY MAKES YOUR LIFE MORE COMPLICATED.

• Sometimes people leave your life to open the doors to better things

• Agree with those but im not this kind of person when im done im done forever

• The only way I could get over it and get on with my life would be if she got struck by a car and died

• Dammm... that's a little extreme eh?

• Ohh oki I kind of understand
      My ex girlfriend I hate what she did to me.. I just need to block her and be done with her.. but its difficult I don't know why.. it sucks tbh

• I know the feeling

• Words can't describe how beautiful you are. One of the prettiest. Sorry I don't know anything about signs

• I usually forget their existence the day after the break up.

• Damn. I never went through a break-up but it sounds horrible...

• Change this to "Surprise, it's actually me who isn't over their ex" and I'll read it

• good take

• Good mytake..

• Totally agree with these!!

• Wow! This pretty much hit the nail on the head

• Thanks for sharing

• Just stopped by to say that “ily” is hilarious

• This all could be right. Or not

• You right their name on the wall in blood.