Is breaking up with someone over the phone disrespectful?

1940

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends how long you've been together, my friend recently got dumped via text after a 5 year intimate relationship, in that sort of situation then yeah it's massively disrespectful, it mainly depends on distance, closeness, and how long you've been together. To me doing it over the phone or over text is a dickish move anyway just simply because you are hiding from there emotions.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes personally because that means he or she doesn't have enough courage to do it in person. Therefore you never meant anything to them and / or they were cheating on you and didn't what to face you !!!

What Guys Said 39

• I never do it, it should be done formally face to face, however i know a lot of insecure women sometimes do it, probably fearing guilt or the reaction of their partners, and some men do it when they discount the importance of the woman. but I’m sure there’s other justifiable reasons.

• Yes, unless your personal safety requires that you not do it in person.

• Nope but it shows that u wanna hide from him.
    So talk to him face to face and tell the truth and reason too (because guys always get confused y u broke up) and during this he might try to convince u to not to break up with him.

So be strong.
    And reason should be logical.

• Yes. It is usually. It shows that the one breaking up with another doesn't have enough courage to say it in person. It also shows that the one breaking up has lost all respect and care for the other now.
    But in some cases, it is not the case. May be the one breaking up with the other has no other option left. May be they don't even talk to each other. And the only way to convey this message to other is by phone or a letter.

• Yes, it indicates that one was too chicken to face the other. Also says that you couldn't even bother taking the time to tell them properly and to their face.

• I alway's do that (and they did the same broke up with me over the Phone too).

I think it's not to be mean or cruel but to avoid a lot of Drama and (possible) verbal assaults or not so much of man as of woman. I never ended a relationship face-to-face.

• Yeah. I mean to say that if you've genuine reason than only you should proceed to it. After all its about the time in which you both feel special to each other so take a deep breath and discuss with your partner that what's going on between us. And should we go for breakup

• yessss

• What difference does it make your relationship was already dust in the wind phone calls are a Safeway to communicate and the police don't get involved over the phone most of the time

• Yeah its rude... Shows that u dont even have enough respect for that person to tell em to their face. Shows cowardice in my opinion too.

• It is, yes. If you were attracted at least once by this person, you should some respect and break in face to face, even if it's hard

• It's better than ignoring him. I don't see this being a deal breaker.

• Yeah.

• Nope.. Better, than text, or a, form of social media lol

• I prefer texting. Whether I am the dumper or the dumpee.

• Nope. Its the being alone again that hurts. If you wanna let a guy down gently then hint in person until its nearing saying, and pull back. Then tell him its over over the phone!! Just do it.

• Very disrespectful

• Cowardly

• childish

• Sure beats ignoring for 3 days, then changing relationship status from me and her to her and new guy

• Better say it in person if he's not gonna beat you

• yes it is. been down that road

• Yes it is. Face to face and in person is the only proper way.

• not if you text the same thing that you wouldve said in person

• yeah

• saves gas though

• Yes.

• Yes.

• Bull. It hurts more in the face bruh! Take it from experience La!

• I think so

• To me, it is. My ex swore on working such themes out in perdon but ended up texting me.

• More from Guys
    9

What Girls Said 18

• It's a d*ck move... Of course it depends on the situtation and the depth of relationship with the person, but it's definitely one of the worst ways to break up with someone!

• Yes... unless there is a good reason why it can't be done in person (distance or safety) then it should at the very least be done over the phone

• It is, but millennials are so connected through their phones and their primary communication in relationships is with and through their phone. People these days resort to passive communication all the time so actually breaking up with someone in person is much bolder action than people are willing to do.

• yes, extremely. if you really cared and loved that person you would break up face to face and end it properly with respect and closure, and not dump them over a phone.

• Yes, that's more of face to face thing. I would want to have this person tell it to my face and listen to what I have to say, and then we can go on our merry ways.

• It depends on how long you guys of been dating. If you were dating for a couple of weeks maybe even a month or so that it's not a big deal. But if you guys were like together for like a long period of time like about half a year to a year or more than yes its very disrespectful. It doesn't matter who did what (unless in the case of abuse), are you guys both owe it to each other to hash it out in person

• I personally find it to be very disrespectful. Always do your break ups in person, even if it's extremely hard to do.

• It's not ideal but sometimes it is necessary.

• do it face-to-face, unless there is an issue of safety.

• Dick move .

• Yes it is.

• no.. cause if someone break up with me n my face i might go to jail. lbvs

• Yes, I had this done to me once, and It felt like it hurt more by text cause, you don't even get a chance to ask questions or express how you feel.

• Personally, I would feel even more hurt because they couldn't even look you in the eyes and tell you it so you still have all the "what if" questions lingering around unanswered

• yes! duh! It means that they don't have the courage to tell you face to face

• It's definitely unfair. You should talk to the person an explain him/her why..

• No not exactly. Long distant relationship sometimes end that way. It really depends. It's better than over text though

• In my opinion I think it signifies that they arr to cowardly/not brave enough to say it to your face.