Why am I sad over my ex boyfriend graduating?

I am sad because my ex boyfriend is graduating college? advice?

Please do not judge me or be mean. I am not the only one who cares and possibly love their ex.I graduated from college two years ago. We are not together and we do not speak, but I think I am sad because I can not be with him as his girlfriend. He broke up with me before he went to college and said how he wanted to be with me in the future. I am just sad...and do not know why? advice please?
The circumstances was going away to college (long distance relationship). He said he wanted focused on himself.

216

Most Helpful Guy

• Try just getting in touch and having lunch, to catch up.

There's no problem with a girl getting in touch with her ex like this. Feel things out and see if he's available or not, and then be happy with the friend zone if he's taken.

If he's free, see if there's still a spark. Feel your self out to see if this is one of those situations where you think about that first reunion kiss, and in your imagination it goes flat.

What matters most is how you feel. Sounds selfish but it's a lot nicer to get back together with an old girlfriend when she's excited to see me, and enthusiastic about being with me.

Here's some good advice for getting in touch (or not) with old flames: aim for realistic expectations. Keep the flame alive but controllable. What may be a fond memory for you may have slipped his mind entirely. Or vice versa.

So try for some small communication or contact. And don't expect too much. If something happens, great. If not, no big deal. Consider it nice to let him know you're proud of him for finishing college. Wish him luck. There's no risk in that.

Don't go planning a romantic getaway, just plan a nice get-together.

Good luck.

• I saw him recently and he smiled at me.