Why all First Dates Should be at Starbucks

Why all First Dates Should be at Starbucks.

There's always a debate on this website about who should pay for dates, where they should go, et cetera. Well what if I told you I knew how to solve all your dating problems in one easy trick? (Movie Theaters HATE him!)

Just make all the first dates at Starbucks.

Why?

(1.) It's in a public setting.

The first date is not a, "let's get some alone time" date, that's for later. First dates should always be in public settings. Why?

(a.) It's easy to find and get to, and

(b.) It's practically a no risk environment.

Women especially do not want to go to some random stranger's house or out of the public eye on the first date. After all, this is a new guy they've never met asking them out, and he might be a total creeper. Only one way to find out safely, and that's with others around.

For both sexes, the benefit of a place like Starbucks is that you can get up and leave at any time without repercussions. You aren't anywhere special like a restaurant and nobody will know where you live. Starbucks gives you the freedom to come and go as you please with little time commitment.

(2.) It's so cheap and simple that there is no struggle over who pays.

Starbucks makes the "who pays?" problem disappear. Ordering coffee is so simple and cheap of a process that nobody will feel left out. If you're feeling like a gentleman, offer to pay for her before the date or when she gets there to pay. It's easy for her to decline, and if she accepts you'll only be out maybe $4-5, not even the popcorn at movies are that cheap.

Generally, though, both will choose to meet up at a time there. Someone is bound to get there first, and this makes it simple since they can order their drink, sit down, and wait for the other person to get there's. Just avoided the whole issue over who pays by circumstance. No problems.

(3.) You can spend the time doing what's most important: Talking

First dates are not about romance. You literally just met each other, there can't be (or rather, shouldn't be) romance. They are meant to be a way to introduce yourself, find out about your date, and discuss what you want/expect from a relationship. Going to a movie doesn't have any conversation, and going to a restaurant may include talking but will constantly be interrupted by eating food.

Starbucks is designed to be a social gathering location. It's made for social talk, and with coffee you don't need long pauses before the conversation can continue. Drinking coffee is less "gross" than eating food, too. A coffee date also keeps it short, you won't be forced to spend an hour or more with someone you don't really like, most are only 15-30 minutes, which is plenty long enough to get all the important info discussed.

(4.) No girl is going to say no to a Starbucks date.

There's plenty of fish in the sea, and those fish are going to bite a hook that has caramel mocha flavored bait on it. Yes, women in general tend to love their sugary flavored coffee, and not many of them are going to say no to a coffee date (for the reasons I listed above). At best, they meet a guy worth dating, at worst, they get Starbucks. Win-Win for them, and doesn't require them to do something they may not be comfortable with (like seeing a certain movie, going to a certain restaurant, or doing a certain activity). It's just Starbucks.

(5.) There aren't any good arguments against it.

What possible arguments are there that Starbucks is a bad first date idea? None.

"But it isn't creative!" - This is a first date, not about creativity. Like I said, both of you have a goal of getting to know each other as much as possible. If you're still hung up about dates not being creative, I would suggest graduating high school first.

"It will be so boring!" - Not so, a starbucks date isn't meant to take hours like a movie. Just show up, get some coffee, and talk for a little bit. You should be so focused on conversation and talking that nothing will feel drawn out.

"But everyone does that!" - You know why everyone does that? Because it's a good freaking first date idea.

All and all, I think I've made my statement clear. Choose Starbucks (or any other coffee shop) as your first date. I've done it before and it worked fantastically. It makes dating much less of a hassle.

3439

Most Helpful Girl

• See, I couldn't order a mocha-choca-frappa-wappa-bullshit-achino to save my life so as long as black coffee is available, sure? Lol. Coffee it is.

Most Helpful Guy

• Coffee houses are always the best bet... going to a bar you might get drunk and blow it!

Valentines Day

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 33

• Bahaha I like how more than half the comments rn are like "Dude we don't have starbucks in [other-country-land]"... πŸ™„ #missingthepoint

But, yeah, if you're in a major metro, ANY starbucks -- and any coffee shop more generally -- is going to be crowded as fuck, mostly with people who want to bum off the wi-fi. You'll be lucky if you can get a table *at all* between the hours of about 11AM and 10PM... and as for having any place to have a conversation that's even halfway intimate, yeah, fuhgeddaboudit.
    You'll even have the double-layered awkwardness of being surrounded by people who are almost shoulder to shoulder with you, but who are STILL totally oblivious to what you're saying because they have headphones on. So... not only is yr environment not going to be intimate, but, you won't ever even know for sure who can actually hear you and who can't.

It's better to just have "first dates" at no particular physical location. Just go to a city, and walk around, and make fun of stuff (and people) togehter. Find random stuff in the surroundings to make fun of, together. Make CONVERSATION.
    Mb grab a snac kor a drink if you come upon a convenient place and you feel the urge -- but, there's no reason to schedule a date around food or drinks. (A sit-down restaurant is pretty much the worst possible place in the *world* for an early date.)

• I always took you as a long romantic candle lit dinner and movie sort of girl. Not srs.

• Lmao. Been there. Getting dressed to go out. Freshly showered. Get a good glimpse at her in a bra. Nope.. bahahah. With my retarded ejaculation we'll be fucking for an hour. "Hey you still want to go out?" "Nahh.." *closes eyes and passes the fuck out*

• @Chico_brah <3

Ironically, "freshly showered" is pretty much the one thing that would guarantee that we WOULD actually make it out.
      Natural smells (not stinks, but smells) = turn-on.
      Smell of cleaning products + texture of skin that's just been washed = turn-off.

"Freshly showered" -- along with "one of us just rolled out of bed" -- is basically the only time when we AREN'T bout that.
      Even now, after all these years... but then, too.

• Random and kinda irrelevant, but I just noticed that almost everyone who commented is an editor... Lol..

But this was actually really helpful because I KID YOU NOT... I literally just asked a question for first date advice! And this sounds pretty perfect! Exactly what I'm looking for! So you have me convinced! Thanks!

• I agree with just about all of this and any coffee shop would be the same. A close second would be a diner. Food is cheap and yes, I'd expect you to pick up the tab. Call me old fashioned but it seems reasonable for the guy to pick up the tab for a first date and it's perfectly fair to make that date an inexpensive coffee of meal.

• I agree and it seems reasonable for the guy to pick up the tab on dates in general. If he's that bothered with buying you dinner maybe once a week, he's probably not that interested in you anyway.

• STARBUCKS is very expensive where I live and I thought it was the same in the USA, I Heard in the US Starbucks is quite expensive. So it be a no cheap date.

• In UK, you could chose Cafe Nero, or Costa. Lots of them about and pretty much the same sort of venue.

There are also lots of smaller, more intimate tea rooms that are less likely to be full of screaming kids.

• We only have like two accessible Starbucks' (i. e. no driving required) in the center of my city. You'd have to drive to the outskirts of the city to get to the other ones. And the two we have in the center are unfortunately ALWAYS crowded. There's always a really long line that sometimes even goes out the door. And because of that, getting a seat is pretty much impossible. Every pretentious person ever is there with their MacBook Pros, hogging the tables and seats for at the very least 3 hours per person. So I'd much rather go and support a local cafΓ© with more seating, less customers... and less sugar. :D

• That's what I've been saying. If you have a problem with who pays for what and the costs, then Starbucks is a viable option. Compared to coventional dates it's much cheaper.

There we go problem solved. :)

• I agree with everthing, except Starbucks isn't cheap, at least not for my country's standards. If someone gets a coffee from there, they're seen as a person who has money to spend :D

• lol nope he still gotta pay for me, I'm in the struggle money status, I personally can't stand the starbucks by where I live because its too crowded, and every starbucks I go to its usually packed and I hate it

• But their Americano totally sucks!
    I'd much rather go to a local cafe with good coffee, especially if I'm dating a local (which isn't essentially my goal lolol)

• I agree. I think coffee dates or meeting up for drinks is always the best. Like you said, you can get out quick if it's terrible. Or prolong it if it's wonderful.

• I totally agree! Plus if it's obvious things aren't going to work out it can be over quickly but if things go smoothly you could talk for hours or move to dinner elsewhere.

• Actually I would say no fuck starbucks and how dare you think I will spend a lot on coffee shame on you!

• I hate starbucks. Their brewed coffee is burnt and their blended drinks are so sugary as to be disgusting.

• I fucking hate coffee and Starbucks lol
    Let's meet at an ice cream place instead

• Nothing wrong with a coffee date, but there are plenty of coffee shops besides Starbucks!

• I like your idea! I think going for coffee is a good idea. Starbcuks might be crowded but there's lots of places that serve coffee.

• *Then those who don't have that in their country should just not go on dates? Hahaha

• Nah, my first date with my now boyfriend was for sushi, I prefer that.

• I like that idea tbh. Simple and sweet.
    But if you're like me... I can't have coffee, which sucks :(

• That's hilarious. That was actually my first date with my guy over a year ago haha.

• i think starbucks is a good choice for a first date

• I don't drink coffee.

• lmfao we don't have Starbucks in Aussie land

• That is a pretty good argument against it πŸ˜…

• Hahaha what there's at least 4 Starbucks in Melbourne alone

• @Jxpxtxr there are none in Adelaide that I know of.
      They must have the stores there for all the tourists that actually *like* their mediocre coffee ahaha
      @rainbowfangirl true :P we call em cafes

• i like silent places

• Really really good save for both genders lol.

• Love Starbucks!!

• My first date was at the mall, books a million, starbucks, and then a haunted house. So I like this take.

• This is what I wrote a few days ago. It makes a lot of sense.

• Lol I'd go if I liked him however I don't drink coffee. I looooove hot tea but refuse to pay that much for hot water esp when I usually have a tea bag on me. I carry a travel mug for that reason. I'd be cool with making 2 teas in travel mugs and bringing them to the park... that would be a great first date.

• Show more from Girls
    3
Valentines Day

What Guys Said 38

• You forgot the disclaimer: "This MyTake was courteously sponsored by Starbucks" ;-)

But I generally agree with you. I think dinner-and-movie dates are also very nice but what really matters is that it takes place in a public setting. Even if you live in a very safe country or city like myself and safety concerns are a non-issue for you, public settings are usually the better choice. It's less awkward and you don't infringe on the other person's privacy. Personally, I would feel very uncomfortable if a girl invited me to her place for our first place. It wouldn't feel right to step into somebody's most intimate space when I don't even know that person.
    For my very first date with my fiancΓ©, I invited her to a bar/cafΓ© on campus, where a lot of students and professors hang out in the later afternoon. For our second date, I invited her to a local bakery that also offers tables and chairs and serves drinks. This was particularly nice for her because she comes from east Asia and wasn't used to getting high-quality European pastry. This shows that dates don't always have to cost a lot and can still be nice. It was only by the third date that I spent quite a lot of money for the two of us.

• I don't know about you, but a lot of the Starbucks around here are noisy, crowded, and not at all the sort of intimate environment you'd want for a date!

• "(5.) There aren't any good arguments against it."
    1. their coffee isn't good
    2. their coffee is expensive

i agree coffee is a decent first date, hopefully in tandem wiht some other activity (like a walk) but if i a girl suggested starbucks i'd counter with a better coffee shop

• The only flaw is that it might not be enough time. I don't know about you, but I usually drain even a venti in ten minutes. It would just feel really awkward and drawn out to try to make it last for 30+ minutes. Even more so if I finish too quick and I'm just sitting there waiting for her to get done.

• So basically you're a basic white girl πŸ˜‚

Jk... I don't do Starbucks and I wouldn't call it "cheap", at least by coffee standards

• Agreed. And keep it short. You have an hour or so to decide if this is really someone you would actually want to go on a real date with, and set it. Or not.

Everybody puts so much pressure on the 'first date'. Or they try to build a relationship over texting - FAIL.

• Starbucks?
    You could not pay me to patronise that nest of leftist traitors who use the business to preach their anti-male, anti-white, anti-Western Cultural Marxist poison.
    The coffee is crap, too.
    It continues to amaze me that the coffee in the USA is usually so awful, especially given the number of Italians who migrated there.

• here's a good argument for ya: my town doesn't have a starbucks. We our own coffee shop called the "douwe egberts cafΓ©" where one cup of coffee easily costs you 4 bucks. And im not going all the way to freaking Amsterdam on a first date just to go to starbucks πŸ˜‚

• ATTENTION DO NOT USE (((STARBUCKS))) PRODUCTS THEY CONFIRMED ADD GAY SEMEN TO THEIR COFFEE.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osiqPGgKXds
    IF YOU LIKE GAY SEMEN DRINK (((STARBUCKS))).

• Nah, pubs are better (the kind that have an outside terrace or where there's not too much noise), the alcohol helps with the conversation flow and there's fewer people sitting right next to you listening to your conversation.

• I agree. She says yes then that says something about her personality, and its considerate since you don't even know if you'd have chemistry. The smell alone is pretty serene so BRAVO!

• I wish I can take a girl to Starbucks on the first date. However, what if she has been to Starbucks all the time already? Or she wants something "unpredictable" or "exciting"?

• I prefer getting drinks. Takes the edge off and gets people to open up. Doesn't mean you gotta get drunk but it's always a good first date idea.

• .

just for future reference

haha jk, like i'll ever get a date.

• I've never met a woman who approved of an obviously cheap date.

• Isn't a good argument against it? think again

1. Paying is not about the money, its principal. A 10$ coffee isn't going to change that and certainly does not take out the 'paying situation'. In fact. It exacerbates it since the date is so cheap. She will expect it even more

2. Most importantly - boring and if everyone does it - you certainly don't wanna. Being original will gain plenty of brownie points. Taking her to coffee like her last 100 dates is not going to be very interesting
    (Coffee dates are great for people you've never met, such as online dating or peole you're simply not sure of)

--> if you are condident in her. Take her somewhere else. Leave the coffee for the old folks

• eh, i prefer costa, but the premise is still the same. nice take.

• No Starbucks in Australia and there's a lot of Starbucks in egypt hmmmm weird lol
    Anyway we have a better places for coffe here 😜

• How much did Starbucks pay you to post this MyTake?

• I still think the bar is the best date spot coffee is not bad tho

• I understand you explaination but I would rather go to another kind of place to drink coffee then

• I hate coffee and don't respect a woman that drinks caffeine.

• Hahaha why not?

• @Idonthaveausername
      Had to happen sometime, eh?

• I think it has a half life f around 13 hours meaning you'll still have half of the caffeine you drank at 9am still in your system at 10pm. I don't have any pity for coffee and soda drinkers who say they have a hard time falling asleep

And I'd prefer not to go out with someone who drinks coffee because I wouldn't want to wake up to that awful smell every morning if we decided to get married

• this is a great idea for men who've had thier balls removed.

• hence problem solved

• Congrats on the sponsorship ;) lol jk

• +1 πŸ‘

• Ugh no, it's like drinking sugar no thanks.

• also if your so cheap that you can't afford a date outside of Starbucks at any other cafe or coffee place you probably shouldn't be dating.

• Do you work for Starbucks? :0

• I agree whole heartedly!

• but starbucks make shit coffee.

• Show more from Guys
    8
Valentines Day