5 Reasons Online Dating Sucks

5 Reasons Online Dating Sucks

As it’s the run up to Valentine’s Day, I thought I’d drop a list of my feelings on the phenomena that is online dating and why it sucks. This is not really about how using online dating to hookup but more about the tribulations on finding Mr/Mrs right in the digital age. If you met the love of your life online, congrats and this take is not aimed at you!

1. You’re just bored

Let’s face it, these days most people spend the majority of their day with their phone in their hand. You’re on lunch break or maybe you’re sat on the toilet trying to slack off for five minutes and what do you do? Whip out the phone and start swiping. Swiping becomes a game, something to pass the time and you’re not even really paying much attention to anyone’s profile. NEXT, NEXT, NEXT…

5 Reasons Online Dating Sucks

2. It makes you shallow

Now I know everyone is entitled to their preferences, you all like who you like but this point isn’t really about that. As you’re already bored and already just swiping away, you start to become a whole lot more shallow than you would be in real life. He’s got the wrong coloured hair or her ass isn’t as big as I’d like. Whatever it is, you’re viewing people with a magnifying lense and they suddenly have to be just right. The thing is though, if that cute girl you swiped left on smiled at you in the grocery store, you probably wouldn’t have minded the things that were just not quite right about her – in fact, you probably wouldn’t have even noticed.

5 Reasons Online Dating Sucks

3. Nobody is just right

How tall is he? How far away does she live? Does her religion the same as mine? You carry around a mental laundry list of what’s acceptable for you to actually ask someone on a freaking date. You’re looking for the ideal man or Ms Perfect. We forget that imperfections sometimes make us love someone a whole lot more than we thought they would. You also have no idea that the girl with the wrong hair colour loves the same pizza topping as you and loves the same music or the guy who’s too short has read all the same books as you. The little things are what count and we forget all that when we’re totally focusing on the visual.

5 Reasons Online Dating Sucks

4. Negativity

Some of you may be aware of those with profiles who list the things they aren’t looking for. My first tip: stop doing that. You may think that will weed out the people you don’t want but honestly it can also really turn off someone you may actually be perfect for. Nobody wants to see a profile full of negativity – nobody wants to know about how you’ve been hurt before or how you only want a girl who’ll pay her way etc. On top of that are those who love to give backhanded compliments or try their hand at negging. “How is a beautiful girl like you still single?” or “You look crazy, good job I like crazy girls, they’re more fun”. Er, how about you back out of my DM’s please and keep your negativity to yourself.

5 Reasons Online Dating Sucks

5. Love isn’t a game

These apps, these sites are all just another game to play. There are rules, directions, winners, losers. Some guys play the odds and will swipe right on all the girls they come across, just to up the chance of their matches. Some girls will match with people just to feel good about the amount of guys who will want them. Either way, we have all come across those people who are just wasting our time. It’s time to log off and go and meet people! Go out into the world and find someone who likes the same shit as you, go talk to that cute girl you always stand behind in line at the grocery store, don’t spend your whole life glued to your phone because your worth is not measured in matches and you deserve better.

5 Reasons Online Dating Sucks

722

Most Helpful Guy

• Online Dating can suck... so can getting hit on at a bar by a guy with nasty pretzel and beer breath. I guess pick your poison. Online Dating can work if you are patient and don't get too upset about the idiots. If those idiots hit on you at the bar would you stop going to that bar? Probably not... So I prefer to sip my really expensive scotch in the comfort of my own home in my Kermit the Frog boxers and good luck to the rest of you ! :+)== I enjoyed the TAKE by the way.. Nice job!

Most Helpful Girl

• I go on a dating site when I younger just to see how it was and guys here are really ... special...
    I talked 1 time to a guys then I didn't go to the site because I didn't wanted to and the guys was like "Why didn't you send me a message, etc..." I told him I was occupied with my study, test and all and he just tell "You can't even send me a message seriously?".
    he acted like that when we didn't even go on a date and only talked one time so what would it be after 1 / 2 months?

And I encounter a lot like that.

• Sounds annoying

• It's really and if I didn't responded fast they would send me multiple message until I respond to them. Even 1 month after.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 21

• Above all, don't depend on dating sites, as you said in the last point. some people now literally never even consider introducing themselves to someone they see or know slightly because they have their dating app..

• Exactly! I think they've created an unhealthy culture where people will only approach someone online. They might be in the same class and they'll Facebook them instead of talk to them for instance :/ not good.

• Dating is a crap shoot.
    Online dating is a god damn dumpster fire!

I quit with it all a few years ago, just badly needed some time away from it all and now everything is so peaceful it's hard to imagine getting back into it, except if your not looking you will never find anyone..~ it's bullshit, there has got to be a better way.

• Whilst for a lot of people it may be a great way to meet people I see online dating as dating's equivalent to the Groucho Marx quote "I Don’t Want to Belong to Any Club That Will Accept Me as a Member"... In fact I imagine meeting my female equivalent online is pretty much datings answer to crossing the streams in Ghostbusters! lol

• 😂😂😂 fantastic. I love Ghostbusters

• Are you always drunk or something? Lol

• Rarely though apparently I pick my moments... which coincide on coming in here lol

• Yeah every other profile I click on has hate speech or something like that and I just automatically exit when I see it. Who really wants to date a person with a gender vendetta or something like that? Nope not me I'm out.

• Yes!!! Thank you. It's so tiresome. Gag is full of it unfortunately.

• Hopefully! Just not having much luck with life I think /: oh well

• It happens sometimes you just have to go where the work is.

• Sadly most people are just looking for Hook ups rather than building a long term relationship's on dating site but there are still some people who are sincerely looking for a relationship but that is a very niche percentage. Also most people are just desperate

• I've tried Meet me. POF and OK Cupid they haven't done anythingfor me. Sure I've gotten messages but the ones I finally try to talk to dont really seem to really be interested but just there out of bordeom

• lovely pointers.. i agree on all of them.. im used the app "Badoo" , i got a few matches which went further to fb, we started talking etc, got to know each other quite well, and then the ghosting begins, i guess im just not cut out to be good at online dating. anyway i totaly agree with everything you say here blonde401!.

• Thank you for reading! Eurgh yeah ghosting happened a lot to me too. Too many time wasters!

• I couldn't have agreed more with this piece. She nailed it on all cylinders.

• this post in a nutshell:

>spends whole page describing piss poor behaves

>blame online dating but not those behaves

good luck at life in general with that mindset...

• Of course those behaviours are bad but we seem them in online dating more than anywhere else.

> you took it far to seriously.

• And you're 26, what can you teach me? Anything?

• I feel that he hit the nail on the head and instead of swallowing your ego you chose to argue instead of accepting criticism then escalated until you became dismissive.

• I totally agree. I've tried many dating sites and only once did I actually meet the girl. I feel like dating sites are for people who want attention and very few people take the concept seriously

• been online dating since I was 21. Had 3 ok relationships. 2 of which I was engaged to. I had overall 10 relationships and 5 hook ups. Now at 40, I dont even care about dating Im that burned

• Online dating: Designed to make a 3 feel like a 9.

And to show the world just how many THIRSTY men there really are.

• And I like dating online, personally. I only use some sugar baby websites like
    but anyway. I find it pretty fun and I often meet some nice men there for me. What do you think about such relationships, by the way?

• This is totally from a female perspective. It seems like a very shallow perspective while conveniently ignoring the fact that online dating caters solely to women.

• I'm afraid I can only write it from my own perspective and I am a female do there you go.

• Online dating sucks. Short version because its usually online and not offline anytime soon, if even that. Longer version, majority of the online females don't want to meet anytime soon. Majority of those same females, don't want to even talk on the phone anytime soon, and most of the ones that do, they just want to text. They usually distance the idea of meeting up anytime soon, so far away. After all, they are not even wanting to talk on the phone anytime soon. Its usually a very long while, if at all before meeting or even just talking on the phone. Also, there are females that just want attention and have no intention of ever meeting or even talking on the phone. As a guy, I am a firm believer if two people like each other, they should just meet up. Even if it needs to be public, like the mall. The point is to keep moving. To get to the point. Females online are so distant. So that is why online dating sucks

• I've found similar experiences with men. Been stood up many times and also done the texting thing and them not wanting to meet. I understand men have more difficulty but it's not a breeze for women either.

• Only women benefit from online dating

• You're 16, so you really don't even know what you're saying. I wrote this take. I haven't benefited from dating at all. No negativity here please.

• @Kirah true but not only women benefit from online dating.

• Yeah mostly women benefit from online dating. And hot guys

• Good my take😁 #4

• Love is totally a game: The Dating Game!

• I love that first picture

• I prefer imaginary dating XD

• 6. People have way too many options that it's hard to find commitment.

7. So many cookie cutter profiles. If I had $1 for every time I found a girl that said just ask or that she likes the outdoors, traveling, reading, exercising I'd be a millionaire.

• Also good points!

• Yeah and every profile they put something up that says don't message them, is the creepiness on here really THAT bad... it calls for some slim pickings for sure! The frustration to stand out is crazy beyond belief

• @Blueeyes2016 you mean the ones that have a checklist that say don't message me if... followed by list of traits?

What Girls Said 6

• while you have the right to your opinion, allow me to respectfully disagree. here's why:

3 years ago, i was a time-pressed young professional- i worked 60+ hours/week and barely had time to eat/sleep, never mind going out to "meet people".

all of my prior relationships had been with people i'd met irl. but a friend of mine told me about this awesome girl he'd met on okcupid and insisted that i absolutely had to try it... so i did, but i went into it with very low expectations. when i made that shiny new profile, i figured i'd just keep my options open; the last thing i expected to find was someone who'd be long-term material.

my profile was simple: i wanted a travel companion/intellectual equal who was affectionate and i could share my passions and big ideas with. not unreasonable.

then, about a week in, i received a message from this guy. the message showed that he was both funny and intelligent; he'd also pointed out shared interests, meaning that he had taken the time to read my profile and was interested in getting to know me as a person. maybe i'd found long-term material after all. so i checked out his profile~ we did have a ton of things in common, and the fact that he was cute was just an added bonus.

we talked for a month and, on my first weekend off in forever, we finally met in person. our first date, which was supposed to be for coffee, turned into an all-day affair, and we've been inseparable ever since. :) <3

if you (not you specifically, but in a general sense) are unsuccessful with online dating, chances are that either 1) your standards are way too specific or 2) your profile doesn't showcase your best side.

/my 2 cents, for whatever they're worth.

-von

• You had a lucky thing. The timing was right. I find it insulting that you assume that my standards are specific or that I had a shitty profile. I went on dates, I had lots of matches, I talked to lots of people, I even had a few relationships from it (I had used online dating from being 18-25). And I stand by what I say. YOU had luck. But thousands of people do not. You're entitled to disagree but nowhere have I insulted anyone and I'd prefer it if you didn't either.

• i am responsible only for my words, not your selective interpretation thereof.

it should have been obvious that you were only looking for a fight with this post. and, based on how you're speaking to me, i'm gonna go ahead and guess that all 100 people you've met aren't the problem.

ah well, it's no skin off my nose lol. have a nice day :)

• No you're the problem. You didn't even bother to read the take or see how many other people posted agreeing. You just commented with a snotty viewpoint of why others are single.

• I hate online dating. Even though we have our preferences, I agree with number 2. Not only that, but the right one tends to come along when you're not looking. It's better that way anyway because you don't expect it.

• Agreed! Yeah everyone has preferences but we do make them far too narrow with online dating.

• Exactly! Just like post said, you focus on things you usually wouldn't. You kind of get big headed because you feel YOU have the power to find the perfect boyfriend, but he doesn't exist. And often times when you find that good looking guy, he isn't worth your time.

• Very true!

• I so agree!

I signed up for Eharmony and Match. com...

I got no matches on Eharmony, coz they are messed up.. I want an older man like close to or in his 40's... no hits.. I did get a lot of commentary from the Admin.

On Match , i got a few interesting hits from guys my age , but they dint do anything for me... no old guys responded.. at least not ones i would go out with...

- HI, my name is Darryl. I am 42 yo, 400 lbs, dont bathe, I play Dungeons and Dragons (that did interest me!), and my mother rents her house from me...

I prefer going to a club, dance with a few guys, going to the Mall food court, and best, meeting guys that come in to my pizza place to order food. that has been my most productive place to meet guys I like to go out with.. customers...

Rarely, has a girlfriend hooked me up with a decent guy that is a keeper.

just my 2 cents worth...

• I got lots of hits on e harmony (same as you wanted an older man) but literally we're all time wasters who didn't want to make solid plans and ghosted before meeting me.

Yeah I don't usually find girlfriends hooking you up works but I do think we meet the most interesting people offline!

• tell me about it... plus Renee bought really good expensive white wine.. hella smooth, not hardly bitter at all.. one bottle cost her $39 once.. She liked having someone to drink with..

• As much as I partially agree, dating now is shallow.
    And I found online dating worked for me, as working 2 full time jobs and uni so leaving at 6am and returning at 11 pm it was a lot easier to use online than trying to make time finding someone. I mean I met 4 guys online. One was a year and a half, still on good terms because of uni now 4 years later. One was kinda a fling but dont regret it as it ended mutually. And my current one, well seen his profile, we had a lot in common, talked more with him than anyone else. And been unseperable ever since. :) so really think it depends on the person. I mean there are negative people out there ans shallow regardless where we are :)

• Some people get lucky, of course. But for most of us it doesn't really work.

• Oh I agree, was just pointing out both sides of dating people can be shallow and negative. Just depends on the person

• Of course :) thanks for reading!

• Love... all your gifs.. and your take.

• so right