How to Recover From Being Rejected/Friendzoned by Someone

I'm sure most of us have been there before. You fall in love with this special someone and after asking them out you end up being disappointed, hurt and possibly even believe that you are not worthy of love because they told you they dont feel the same way as you do for them and dont see you as more than a friend.

In order to reduce the pain, stress and depression that such a situation brings i have some tips that will hopefully help you in some way if you find yourself in a situation like this.

Stop making them the only thing that matters in your life.

Being rejected and hurt sucks and its a situation no one wants to be in, we can all agree on that.

But always being there for someone who basically treats you like shit and doesn't appreciate you isn't going to make such a situation any better.

That's why you should stop making them the only priority in your life and stop treating them as if they are the pope or Jesus himself. Just like every other human being, this person too has flaws. Instead, learn to value yourself and your time better and do things that contribute to your well being and self-improvement. You can for example start learning to eradicate negative thought patterns, working out, do meditation, hang out with friends/family or actively practice a hobby like making music, cooking and so on.

Don't ignore your feelings. Embrace them and let them go.

As a man i grew up with the believe that all men always have to be strong and are not allowed to show any kind of sensitive emotions. This is complete bullshit. While it is true that you shouldn't be a wimp that starts crying for every little thing, trying to suppress your feelings of sadness, grief etc. will not only make your depression worse but it also isn't going to make them disappear. It will only temporarily make you feel better but sooner or later those feelings and the ruminating will return and hold you back when instead you could have let them go some time ago and done better things that contribute to your well being. So if you dont want to be alone ask a friend or someone else who is close to you and talk with them about it.

Realize that recovery always takes time.

You probably won't feel better in one day, a week or a few months. It's different from person to person how long it takes to fully process the feelings and let go. So have patience and give it time.

Distance yourself from them.

Similar to the first point, don't make the person that dumped you your highest priority in life. Get rid of things that remind you of them. Don't stalk or cyberstalk them and don't immediately give them a response if they reach out to you. If you have to work with this person or see them at school every day i suggest treating them like a regular colleague. Say hi if they greet you but leave it at that.

Know that you are worthy.

It's easy to start believing you are not good enough when in a situation like this. You might not have met this persons preferences and there probably wasn't any physical attraction (which is likely the number one reason he/she rejected/friendzoned you) but this doesn't mean you are unworthy of respect, affection, love and companionship. It's impossible for anyone to always meet other peoples preferences and expectations.

Stay away from internet guides that cost money which supposedly show you how to get out of the friend zone.

There are many websites which claim to have guidebooks/ebooks etc. that show you "how to win her back" or "how to get out of the friend zone". While there are some genuine tips that really work and help out there, websites like i mentioned i believe are just scams run by people who recklessly use the vulnerability of other people to make money.

It is totally up to you if you want to pay for something like this but im sure those "guides" are complete bullshit and won't get you where you want to be, even if they claim otherwise.

Plus i believe there are no guides for life since everyones situation is unique with a lot of differing aspects.

And last but not least, stay positive.

I know it's hard to think positive in a situation like this. But ruminating and only focusing on the negatives isn't going to make it better. Stay positive and accept that life is not always a piece of cake.

So that's it. Hope is of some help for you

Cheers.

1432

Most Helpful Girl

• Great article! If you don't face rejection, it means you're not putting yourself out there and going after what you want. Of course rejection always stings, but you just have to pick yourself up and keep on trucking. What helps is knowing that no matter how good-looking you are or how awesome your personality is, everyone has different tastes and not everyone's going to like you, just like you don't like everyone who's attracted to you. It's very rarely personal, even if it feels like it at the time!

• I couldn't have said that better.
      Rejection is something you have to see as a real possibility because its part of the process of finding a compatible partner.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 13

• I really needed to read something like this today. I just got broken up with from this guy who said I was more like a friend than a partner. I like him a lot, but he broke up with me. I don't even understand it but things will get better, and maybe by treating him like just a regular person I won't hurt as much. Thank you!

• Glad this helped you a bit.
      Break ups always suck but life goes on and im sure you will find many other partners.

• I agree with most of what you said except the friendzone. I think this is a silly label for someone who is your friend that doesn't have the same feelings as you do.

• That's because women are or never friendzoned.

• I understand what you mean and i believe that just because you are being nice to them etc. the opposite isn't entitled to do and feel the same for you.
      However, it is also crazy from the rejecting individual to expect the rejected person to be a friend for them and just get over it in no time.

• That's true.

• I love the first point. Idealizing someone is dangerous because you put the person on a pedestal. If someone is always higher than you then you start believing that you're below them.

• Great take! If I'm friend zone by someone then I won't have any interest being their friend. I prefer to go my separate way instead of being hurt.

• Take with good advice in my opinion... Hopefully it will never happen to me!

• Thank you so much for the help. It's a good myTake, and iv'e been rejected much, so this definitely helps, so thank you

• Get over it.

:') I'm just kidding I mean if you were never in a relationship I don't think it'll be too hard x

• I often get caught up n my feelings, especially when I face rejection. This advice was very useful and for that I thank you.

• Well said😊

• Come back and fight even stronger.

• Solid take!

• Thanks... I needed this!

• you'll never recover, it will haunt you through out your life

What Guys Said 32

• This is pretty good advice.

• As I always say, never forget YOU ARE THE PRIZE.

If you spin a lot of plates you'll never be bothered with one of them rejecting you - you have plenty of other options.

Women are masters at this - they ALWAYS have a backup plan - other guys in the wings. It's just the way they're wired.

It would behoove men to adopt the same mentality - have a backup plan, other options. Don't fall for ONE-I-TIS. It makes you look desperate and women can sniff that a mile away.

• All of them are great points, but first and foremost the first point, please don´t ever make someone else as the begining and the ending of your life, or you surely would be opening yourself up for utter disapointment.

• Men need this guide a lot more than women for sure. Women don't really get rejected, even if they are average looking. I don't care about what the stats say, there seems to be more men than women in the world. Also, you hear things like cockfest or sausage fest, but you don't hear anything like reverse of cockfest (got this from Flash & Reverse Flash), not sure what the term is for a place with too many women.

• friend zone is not a real thing unless the person you're romantically interested in insisted on remaining friends and made efforts to be your friends, otherwise its just you trying to stay close to get another shot at dating that person.

if a girl i want doesn't want me then its simple really i move on

• I think rejection is the most important thing in life. It show that you can still be better and improve yourself. I think it is important to take as a learning experience and not a tragedy.

• Nice take, just don’t focus on one girl folks and you’ll never care about rejection again.

• "How to Recover From Being Rejected/Friendzoned by Someone"
    Drink some Whiskey. It always works. :)

• I have an idea. Don't fall in love with people you barely know. Instead see multiple men/women (sexually) THEN fall in love

• I'm gonna play it smart and safe and just wait for sexbots lol.

• I like most of this. There is a lot in what he says.

• I'm actually used to getting rejected. In a way, I'd be more overwhelmed by be accepted by a girl. This panic once made me quit a "relationship" which I rushed in, after half a day already.

• As someone who has always been rejected, I certainly feel unworthy sometimes and I don't know how to let go of those feelings?

• @BellaIsQueen I hope you follow this advice #OurBreakUp

• Stop emotionally investing in women until they show their worth investing in!!

• Good stuff :)

• And the last one work on yourself.

• Simply: the life goes on.

• Interesting

• Awesome

• Thanks for sharing.

• great advice!

• it happens

• Go on a solo trip.. May be hiking n camping?

• And if this is around family

• lol internet guides

• Move on and find another person who will want to date you. Stay friends with the other person if you want. You never know what may happen down the road y’all may date

• just dab on them or just do the robot away from them.

• how about you MAN UP and get a next girl. forget that girl who you rejected. and go get some ass. there's millions of girls in the world and you are worried about one lame ass girl who said "oh no i dont want you" ? bro man up

• That was deep.

• Show more from Guys
    2