4 Reasons Why Nobody Cares About Your Preference for "Traditional" or "Modern" Dating.

1. Making an effort isn't limited to "traditional" dating or spending money.

A guy or girl can still show their date that they can and will do nice things for them in many ways. Striving for a wealthy man is the very definition of a gold-digger. What happens if he was hoping that you'd be an egalitarian by showing effort (like offering to pay) to let him know that you liked him back and you tell him he should be expected to pay. How embarrassing!

2. A Gold Digger is a person who dates others purely to extract money from them and would expect a financial clue while dating.

No one needs a clue about financial stability while on a date- even when marriage is the goal. It's a date, talk about financial stability when things get serious. Honestly, creative and cheaper dates are more impressive and require way more mental and emotional effort.

3. A Gold Digger expects to be pampered on a date.

Considerate people expect to get to know each other on a date. A date isn't all about you and what you want. If you expect something, you shouldn't shame a man for having expectations for something in return. ALSO, if you want to be a traditional lady.. You can ask for things like one and not demand it or expect it.

4. Traditional vs Modern dating?

No one is going to ask "hey, do you prefer modern or traditional style dating" before they try to take you out. If you invite a girl/guy on a date then it’s up to you to take care of her/him. Only because splitting the tab can change the dynamic from two people on a date into two friends hanging out. It's simple. Whether you personally expect every man to do everything for you or not... won't matter to anyone other than to the person you are dating or to whomever is buying you. There is such a thing as traditional gold-diggers, incidental or not.

This was inspired by and in response to : https://www.girlsaskguys.com/dating/a31061-4-reasons-why-i-ll-never-date-a-guy-who-doesn-t-pay-for-the-first-date

When a person starts making a list of expectations... It starts to sound less genuine and more like a grocery list or contract. It doesn't sound natural or fun. Money is important, but it doesn't need to define your every action and motivation in life.

No one wants to be poor and everyone has access to money. Everyone wants to find love, but not everyone meets the love of their life.

3044

Most Helpful Guy

• I am very traditional with my dating practices and expectations. I will ask a lady out, pick her up at her place, take her to a nice restaurant, open car doors, help her with being seated, etc. In return, I have a few expectations:

1. If you need to take a phone call because of an emergency, I understand. If you need to take a phone call because you haven;t talked to this friend in the past several days, I do not understand.

2. If you are checking your phone to see if anyone has texted, I will feel insulted.

3. If you don't want to see me again, just tell me that we aren't a good match. Don't lie to me and tell me that you are going to have the flu for the next three weeks.

4. Even if you don't feel connection with me, we can still enjoy the evening if we both try.

5. I don't care if your last boyfriend was the CEO of General Motors; I don't want to hear about him.

• You should do a MyTake, not a lot of women know this and then you can link your MyTake to reference your advise to frequently asked questions surrounding this topic! <3

Most Helpful Girl

• I think the better looking a woman is, the more she can expect out of a guy. Men are simply willing to do more for an attractive hot woman. When I was 50 lbs overweight I was lucky if a guy would pay half of the date, and when we did go out they werent very nice restaurants. Like it would be wing type places and maybe if i was lucky olive garden. Now its a different story. So I see nothing wrong with a woman having expectations. If you work out 6 days a week and keep up with your looks, you can do better than a guy who wants you to pay half. especially when there are men chasing after you who are more than happy to pay for your way. At the end of the day we all want to get the best partner we can attract. and just like guys aren't excited to date the fat girl with the cool personality, I wouldn't be excited to date a guy who expected me to pay half the tab at Applebee's. If that makes me a gold digger, then ok i guess. but "gold digger" works for some women.

Having standards early on means you'll get the best mate. Women will date a guy who cheaps out on them, and then get pregnant and be upset that he won't help out with the kid lol. If a guy balks at being expected to pay for dinner, he's gonna balk at being expected to provide for his family too. So thats something to think about as well

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 43

• Good Take. I hate chicks who have anal, wealthy expectations in men, what they want to call "standards" but are really just shallow expectations. I like a woman for who she is, and yes, traditional dating is more my thing with simple, enjoyable moments. And I need a woman who is the same.

The women who need a man with star looks, big pockets, and hot cars can be taken out with the rest of the trash.

• Thank you! Yeah, there is no issue with having preference or priorities, but there definitely is a line people keep crossing. It's all about finding someone you love and can work together as a team. Money will come if both work hard

• @sugarchateau Right. And what's worse is how a lot of these women think they have a right - or are worthy - to be a part of the successes men with money and status have, yet didn't even help him get there. I don't want women like that.

• Yea, a lot of women think that they can skip the struggles and all the hard work and jump to raking in the rewards... If a woman wants a good honest man that they can be honored to be apart of helping to building up... You get a golden and special relationship. It's all worth it IF you love them for them and their personality, aspirations, etc match yours. <3

• These are very good points. Hopefully #4 in particular will be useful to those still discussing who should pay on a date. I would like to add, though, that the date and the guy paying for it have a signaling function that is still valid even today, when women sometimes earn more than their partners because men are still competing with each other for women. It`s certainly true though, in accordance with what you explained, that this should not be the main thrust of the date (it should be implicit and remain very much in the background). Women often filter guys out based on their perceived or actual financial situation, but, yes, the date should be about getting to know each other better in a relaxed setting and seeing if you're compatible. Focusig on money spent or earned distracts from that.

• Damn gold digging. And what woman is going to ask a guy put on a date? Nope. Guy always has to pay pay pay. Does he get anything in return? Nope. After a few dates and hundreds of dollars maybe a kiss. After more hundreds perhaps a feel. God I hate how women want equality and still be expected to have everything paid for.

• Thankfully not everyone is the same.

• Your a rare gem

• I guess one mans trash is another mans treasure. lol

• This is a peculiar "take." What is the basis for conflating "traditional" dating with "gold digging." The motives for each - even though the methods of each may sometimes overlap - are very distinctly different.

The "gold digger" expects to be treated in a certain way. The person who seeks "traditional" dating is observing social conventions and expresses gratitude for what is done for them. The motives could not be more different.

This was a very interesting "take." However, I think it is premised on the fallacy of the false alternative.

• My title was for dramatic affect, but after all the responses I now see how I could've better explained myself. So you are aware that this was in response to a MyTake, thank you for reading the original. I was hoping to make it clear that the girls "traditional" dating was definitely gold digging. and then I tried to explain what dating was after each "call out".

I tried to sum it into: we can all work hard to earn money, but we all can't find love.

• Okay, thanks. I think I follow. I will take a look at it.

• Awesome! Let me know what you think!

• I have more respect for gold diggers and sluts than average girls. Average girls are lying scums. At least girls who likes a man for his money is straightforward about her intentions. Average girls on other hand are even worse.

• I didn't think there was anything with anyone unless they are lying or pretending they were something that they were not.

• Oh yeah? What you are then? You all ladies have it extremely easy in lives. My jokes are just fine. Your skin isn’t thick enough to tolerate them. You ladies deserve whatever bad happens to you. Men needs to be educated about the real nature of women. You all ladies are just lying scumbags in the end.

• I agree but u need more than personality to be qualified relationship material. Personality doesn't hold a relationship together. Compatibility and value system and character does

• The main thing is... the gal has to prove herself to be worthy of being spoiled and pampered.

Just being present and having a vagina isn't enough.

• This sounds more like a rant about gold diggers than debunking the TRADITIONAL VS MODERN dating ways.
    In any case I like seeing that. Because I really, really, REALLY hate the gold diggers myself

https://i.imgur.com/AUOSy7Y.jpg

But still, nicely done =) I like seeing women disliking their terrible sorts of their species, who should never be dating. We don't see that too often.

In my opinion if you want the money - Get a job and an academic degree. Rack up that career.
    If you want the love - Sign up for dating, be the same person, that you expect to be dating and don't be an obnoxious dick or an entitled cunt.
    If you want them both - Keep the above 2 separate if you want it to work out.

• i don't often enjoy these (or comment), but you nailed this... i thought the closing paragraph summed things up very well...

• Why can't she pay? If women are gonna bitch and complain about gender equality and a wage gap than they can pay for stuff too.

• Yea, a healthy relationship takes a team. I mean, I would think that the focus in a relationship would be to fall in love with everything about them

• Not all women whine about gender inequality. Not all women are feminists. Think about that.

• @wolfcat87 think about not butting in all the time.

• Here's my take on your take... I agree with Unit 1 ... this is a rant about gold diggers for the most part. However, the best thing you said is: "If you invite a girl/guy on a date then it’s up to you to take care of her/him." If a girl asks me out for coffee, I'd expect to see her pay for them at the counter, but I wouldn't let her. I'd head that off just because that's me. But you also suggest that offering to pay makes you an egalitarian? Hardly. I don't know what it is about this site, but I see a lot of people upset because one person didn't offer to split the bill !! But I've also heard some women say they "would" go on a date to a nice dinner place just to get the meal, even if they didn't like the guy that much. My advice then is simple: keep the first date cheap as can be, like coffee. You should know after one meeting if you both want another, then take it from there.

• lol it is in response to a MyTake that I linked. I could see the confusion if the first wasn't read before mine <3
      With the egalitarian thing, one action doesn't define a person. lol it was a small example.
      Creative cheap dates are definitely the way to go when you are just starting to get to know someone, I 100% agree.

• Yes... sorry but I rarely read the link that led to the new question! :)

• No worries, I was hoping people would but it is asking a lot. I could've done a better job and taken more time.

• I'm My Own man I'm a traditionalist of old fashion style dating

• The first date should be split between the two unless otherwise specified. This creates incentive for both parties to give it their all instead of focusing on paying too much money or getting a free meal without any true stakes being paid into the date.

Cheaper dates are great because you aren't wasting money. It's a first date, no need to spend 40 or more dollars on a woman you'll possibly never see again. Plus, is she doesn't like cheaper dates then she isn't for me anyway.

I think women need to approach men more instead if expecting us to always make the first move.

• Yeah, cheaper and more creative dates are wayyyy more impressive. Personally, I'd reserve dinner dates for a long-term relationship where we can plan to afford that. At our age, both men and women are financially struggling so I don't know why they expect one person to really be capable of paying, even if they wanted to.

• I agree with this myTake

Good thing I responded to that old myTake, which caused you to read it, which inspired you to write this myTake in response. Chain reaction

• Yeah, it helps when people respond and bring attention to a topic. Then one person will take the time out of their day to show that not all people think the same lol.

• Thank you

• CT_CD dang great twist there "I agree" then "You know this ain't original, I see you".

• Good take.. Some people didn't get it, but that doesn't stop it from bein truth..

• I think it was mainly because they didn't read the original MyTake that the other girl posted which mine was in response to. Also, thank you so much!

• Right, that's how it usually is.. Taken out of context.. LOL.. But no problem!..

• Don't know how this take doesn't have more comments. It's an amazingly well written take!

• Traditional is where its at. Tried and true never dies. Unfortunately as more time goes on though, thats eroding. Try walking up to a girl in 2018 and trying old school methods. Usually doesn't end well and they think you're a creep they think it's weird. Have nothing to do with you. But Wait wait. The method and theory hasn't changed, its upbringing and society that has put a distorted view on things. Things that would be wholesome and good are not. Again priorities in finding a supportive partner are not where they're supposed to be

• I mean, to the core of it, yes. It's romantic, it's thought out, it's effort and it's basic human history roles.
      Some people want that and then some people are confused about who is being genuine and then you''ve got people who get butthurt about not feeling good enough, as well as, people who just want to leave society and not live a regular lifestyle at all.

I feel bad for everyone lolol it's a jumbled world when people don't know what they want.

• Omg you said it, breakthrough. You are absolutely right!

• <3 the worst part is... we all have to work together to help the world.. lolol otherwise this shit will continue on forever

• just LOL @ all this crap about gold-diggers. As if the average guy is pulling in millions and is at risk of being taken for a ride.

• l would date any girl all girls are very nice l love all girls

• Girls and guys are great when we look at the positives lol <3

• I must admit that I'm definitely not used to such intensity within a quick pace of time in a place where it is nonessential. So please do forgive me if I do not know the best way to respond.

• l understand every thing that you are saying to be very honest l just dont know where l get it from as l can be shy at times l have never played about with many girls in my life and that is the very honest truth l would never tell you lies yes l do like you as l say its like we hit it of when we first started to talk on this site l have been on this site say for around 6months l dont do dating sites as l think a lot of the girls on those sites have a lot of baggage you will know what l mean? l can tell that you are very nice thats why l love to chat with you and you have a great brain just like me l am not the kind of guy that would ask for those kind of photos etc you will understand what l mean? l have 100 % respect for you yes l do dream and l bet that you dream about tings as well l am making coffee would you like some if you were hear l would make your dinner for you as l am a very good cook l can cook most things it is just after 8pm in scotland edwin x

• Nice article.

• good points

• Very good points, well made.

• Trust me, a lot of retards on here care about other people's preferences

• We make our own rules as we go along

• I guess it is inevitable. We are human, no one can be perfect or truly limited.

• Nice myTake.

• What's modern dating anyway if I may ask?

• What do traditional daters think it is? lol Netflix and chill? I have no idea.

• Ok yeah that makes sense and sounds about right. I've done dates like that in the modern era so yeah.

• Awesome! I'm glad I could communicate clearly lol. I wasn't sure if I was articulating my thoughts very well. I'm slightly tired x^)

• Just here for the points.

• Good take

• Yeah! That's really nice

• Excellent insight. I'm impressed.

• I agree

• Show more from Guys
    13

What Girls Said 29

• I certainly have to disagree with this.

#1. Striving for a wealthy man is not the definition of gold digger. You state the difference yourself in #2 when you write, "A Gold Digger is a person who dates others purely to extract money from them." Women may strive for a wealthy man with no intention of extracting money from him... They may want to be sure their children will always be cared for among other things.

#2. Many women need a clue to financial stability early on. Why waste our time on some bum who hasn't worked a day in his life and sleeps in his mom's basement if that is 100% not the type of person we are looking for? Most men feel the same way, and they don't get called gold diggers for having standards. Not having those standards is how women become struggling welfare single parent baby momma #1.

#3. The title of this one does not match the content. I'm sure most men and women would prefer to be pampered on a date... Again, not a sign of a gold digger. Just personal preference and tradition. The paragraph seems fair about what not to do.

#4. Traditional gold diggers sounds pretty darn made up. XD It sounds a lot like the "housewives are anti-women's rights" campaigns feminazis put out. There's nothing wrong with being an old fashioned woman who knows what she wants in a partner and goes for it. Most people have standards. This includes men.

There's nothing wrong with having standards. Taking a feminazi stance and labeling women who have standards as gold diggers is just shameful behavior. A REAL gold digger only sees $$$ signs when looking at a man. If a woman actually likes and wants the man, she's automatically passed out of the realm of gold digger."

You don't have to have standards. Do whatever makes you happy. Marry some completely broke guy with no goals or future ahead of him, have those kids who can't be provided for, set everyone up for a life of hardship, then pat yourself on the back for not being a traditional woman who makes lists and plans out the future of herself and her family carefully to ensure success and happiness for everyone. It's a free country.

In the meanwhile, realize that women (and men) who do things differently don't necessarily = gold diggers just because they don't want to do things in a way you idealize. They are likely just normal people wanting to find love and happiness like everyone else. It's all good.

• I swear to God, that is the very definition and I looked it up before hand so I didn't look biased. lol. A gold digger is a gold digger, there is nothing wrong with that but lets just be honest about it. Their reasons for doing it is personally tailored differently. Some are forced into it and some are not, it doesn't change the fact that they are, by definition, a gold digger. Still, it doesn't bother everyone. No worries <3 but there is a difference between dating and "gold digging".

You are right about my needing to spend more time and effort into this. I should've thought, "what if this becomes a slightly big deal" instead of, "surely no one will care and if they will agree they will agree but move on" lmfao.

I wasn't being sensitive to all aspects. I was honestly focused on just responding to the original MyTake.

• Women can be focused on financials without wanting to take his money. Financials help determine success, work ethic, intelligence, providing ability for future children, etc. Date behavior can show selflessness. A woman wanting to measure all of this on a first date instead of wasting her time on someone who does not meet her standards is entirely fair.

For instance, a man who owns his own architecture firm has been begging me to go sailing with him for 2 years now. It is important to me that he be as successful as he is, but I have not tried to get a single cent out of him. I know he sent a gold digger $500 for Valentine's Day.

So, money holds very little meaning for me personally. I grew up extremely poor, and I know how to get by without it. If I have children, I want them provided for. I don't want them to go through what I did. I want them to have good genes and a dad who gets them ahead in life. If I drop dead giving birth, I don't want their only income/hope to have been me.

• Oh yeah, this MyTake was in response to a girl who claimed she was a traditional dater but it was purely focused on just finances in every point she mentioned. You are right about not wanting to date a bum, but I believe you agree with me on there being a difference between: i will only date you if you have money and im dating you but if you are a bum, i can't stay.

I'm sorry I didn't make it any more clearer, I should've spent more time on it.

• I don’t really see what this take has to do with dating. It’s all about gold diggers.

I also don’t see how or why the only definition of a date is that a single person is paying the bill. Pretty stupid definition in my opinion.

• This is in response to another MyTake that I linked.
      Everyone is different, but it makes sense to me that the one who wants to treat someone special will assume the role of paying. It doesn't mean that the date can't offer ofc. I wouldn't assume something like that.

• @doflamingo457 so why’d you request to follow me if you think I’m so dumb?

• when i say dumb, everyone makes miscommunications

• It looks like ure just bashing traditional women. Traditional women aren't gold diggers. They are looking for love and a man thats traditional who believe a male job is to court her and show that he can protect provide and adore her. He does not have to be the wealthiest. But what smart woman who could run the risk of pregnancy wants to get knocked up or want a broke man or a lazy man who won't do shit for u and a half stepper? That makes no sense.

• Nope. This MyTake was purely in response to a girls MyTake who claimed to be a traditional dater when she was defining a gold digger. I linked her original post in it.

Also, nothing wrong with gold diggers.

• "When a person starts making a list of expectations... It starts to sound less genuine and more like a grocery list or contract. It doesn't sound natural or fun. Money is important, but it doesn't need to define your every action and motivation in life."

This is so fucking true! Excellent mytake!

• If I were dating and was asked out; i would be expecting the man to pay. If I asked the person out then I would pay. I've often offered to pay when the bill came to the table and every time the guy would not let me. I like to be fair. I guess I don't really care if you have money or don't. I work and can buy my own shit, but it's nice to be "taken" care of every once in a while

• Yea like it's different on a first date. Once you realize that you like each other, it's time to work hard together. Guys and girls want to be taken care of <3

• I just want a mix of the 2 really but I'm more on the traditional side

• Yeah, there definitely are people out there who want to be that for you <3

• Great mytake, it's very relevant at least to me it is :)

• I am a future gold digger. That doesn't mean I am evil just honest. Unlike women who pretend they aren't like you. No matter what women will have to and always been gold digger. In case you didn't know when you have a baby the person to help you is the man. Should u still split 50/50 when u can't work. I want a rich man to marry me and I want kids with them. It's shows that he smart, discipline, and can achieve things. Why wouldn't I want that? I don't want my future kids to suffer! I am happy to be a housewives or do some type of side job. But for fun. Family is more important and that just how it is.

• Evil isn't in the definition of gold digger lol.
      This MyTake was in response to another girls MyTake where she called herself a "traditional" dater, but was 100% defining gold digger. It's important to decipher the difference, not because one or the other is bad or good... But because they are different.

For the record, I'm getting my tubes tied (no children for me for sustainability reasons). I'm a sustainability major and my personal dedication is to others, not myself. Everyone is allowed to have their different priorities and goals.

• I mean, I wasn't saying traditional daters were good either LOL I was just plainly stating that there was a difference for all and so thats why a lot of people have gotten confused.
      That's my bad, i was mainly focused on responding to her MyTake and not considering others.

• I guess I am a traditional girl. I don't like modern dating. I like being the girl and given things. I like when a man gives you money it show that he put some money aside because he cares. I think about him everytime I buy groceries.

• Not exactly nobody. You care... enough to write a take in response to her.

• You make a valid point! I could've made it say "most people don't care" but it didn't really appeal to be dramatic enough for me. lol

• Haha true!

• 4 Reasons Why People Need to MYOB:

1. It's safer
    2. People won't hurt you
    3. No one cares
    4. No one cares

• I'll love to find a guy that is still into modern dating. I'll love to find a gentlemen that's just wishful thinking though.

• Wonderfully put, dude!

• I can't stand gold diggers, fully agree with the article. good point

• I didn't mean to hate on gold diggers, this was differentiating gold-diggers from traditional daters to basically sum up that nobody cares about anyones dating preferences unless they are dating you. Also, that everyone can make money with hardwork, the hardest thing to find is true love.

• well written, good take

• nice point you mentioned there

• thats so tru

• Nice mytake.

• Lol ok

• 0|0
    • Yeah, I should've been "hmming" a little bit longer myself. Not a lot of people are reading the MyTake before hand and I didn't really clarify well enough... I'm doing my best to respond to as many comments as possible to help rectify my situation that I put myself in

• Honestly it was something to think about.
      Everyone is entitled to their opinions and I respect yours. :)

• Times change :)

• You are right and people will attach new personal meanings to words with clear definitions. lol I just tried to bring something refreshing. I didn't mean to come off as judgey towards gold diggers or different styles of dating. I really just wanted to send the message that there are definitions for things and that ultimately there can be the goal of seeking for sex, money or for love. Everyone can still have different priorities and desires.

it's really hard for me to get that message across evenly haha

• I think a lot of these expections are based on a nostalgia for an imagined past, maybe ‘modern romance’ is less romantic or maybe it’s just so new we’ve can’t tell

• I mean, they did all this crap in the past too lol. I'd define modern dating as the bonus of using technology and that is it.

• Right like when phones were invented i bet they were like romance is dead no one writes letters or shows up randomly at your house anymore

• lol there is still romance ya haha

• It's obvious that you're trying to bash "traditional" women. But, let me clarify a few things in case you're confused or trying to mislead others.

gold-digger play \ˈgōl (d)-ˌdi-gər\
    1: one who digs for gold
    2 : a person whose romantic pursuit of, relationship with, or marriage to a wealthy person is primarily or solely motivated by a desire for money

Notice the word SOLELY. Having preferences for a wealthy or traditional guy doesn't make you a gold digger if the primary objective is not to extract $$$. Having preferences for wealthy men is no different than having preferences for hot, sexy women. As long as your intent is to fall in love and be in a genuine relationship, all you're doing is going after your preferences.

If you want to pay for your own dates and be independent, nothing wrong with that. But, don't bash women who want to be traditional. Do what you think is best for you and don't worry about other couples choose to do with their lives.

• This was exactly what I thought while reading this! Ha ha ha

• Also, nothing wrong with gold diggers. Not what everyone is looking for but lets be responsible adults here and just admit our priorities and needs.

• I guess this depends on how you define gold digger. My definition of gold digger is a woman who dates or marries purely for money. Obviously, traditional and modern women can both be gold diggers as well if there is no love.

I personally don't like gold diggers given that they're deceiving and care only about money.

• I don't mind being stereotyped as a gold digger

• Dating is different from Gold Digging. There are just different priorities and goals. <3

• @doflamingo457 you're too young for me to date hun

• i never said i was there yet, hm your anon between 18-24, even if i did like you in the least i didn't think so lol

• Well ok then

• There traditions has changed

• Um ok

• Great

• I wonder what your opinion is on this one:
    Why do many guys think they are entitled to effortless sex from women? ↗

Perhaps not exactly traditional dating.

• I had already responded on there. I'm really glad that you care to know what I think. I copy and pasted what I said to this comment for you:

This isn’t girls versus guys.
      Girls read too much into things and guys don’t read enough into it.
      Ultimately, there are going to be personalities where some people expect certain things on both sides. The part where most are having an issue is communicating that we are all struggling with basically the same shit just opposite genders.

People who want sex will want sex, people who want to spoil will spoil, people who are materialistic will be materialistic..

• One more thing I forgot to point out is that biologically, women tend to seek providers who have good leadership skills and are physiologically strong, while men tend to seek the most fertile-looking women (big breasts, healthy skin, fit figure, wide hips, nice face). It's mother nature's way of triggering reproduction and increasing one's chances of survival. Like someone else said, "In the 21st century, men don't need to hunt down animals or protect his family from animal hostility. Protection = money." Therefore, women are biologically wired to want to be provided for. And providing for a woman is not being a sugar daddy in this overall context.

• @babylips14 You are right, "traditional" and "modern" dating is not the same as gold digging. The difference is when you seek money vs. a growing bonded relationship.

A growing bonded relationship requires hard work on both sides, the man will want to spoil you and you will want to have sex with him. A gold diggers relationship is you feel financially stable and you give him sex, its possible to find love in that situation too.

• Great.