My View on Relationships Today...

Society continues to define relationships. Now, we are in a hookup culture and that is ok for some but not for others. Here are some things that still hold for me:

1. While a relationship is not built on sex, you need to have some sort of sexual chemistry with someone.

There needs to be passion and fire.

My View on Relationships Today...

2. COMMUNICATION.

Do not leave your partner guessing. They're not mind readers. But do not be harsh with them.

My View on Relationships Today...

3. If either of you is unhappy then fix it.

Understand that things take time and effort.

My View on Relationships Today...

4. Timing is key.

Sometimes people need to learn to be happy by themselves before they can be happy with someone else.

My View on Relationships Today...

5. If you are my partner, I do not expect you to bear the weight of the world on your shoulders.

You can come to me. I will be there.

My View on Relationships Today...

6. I expect us to have an understanding as to 'who does what.'

7. I do not expect you to pay for all our dates.

We are both adults and I'm allowed to treat you.

8. We need to make both of our relationship statuses clear.

We are with each other. There must be set boundaries for exes, people who used to like us and people who we liked.

9. Neither of us should ever have to ask/beg for affection or love or support.

10. Neither of us should make the other feel like a burden because we chose to be together.

Relationships aren't all fairytales all the time. We need to have disagreements to make our bond stronger.

Feel free to comment on my post even if you don't agree with it. Whilst you may not agree with some, you should still respect it as I will respect yours.

Thanks for reading.

515

Most Helpful Guy

• The part about NOT leaving your partner guessing is key. I speak with a lot of women who seem to expect their male counterpart to just know. To read their minds. Yet they get upset when he doesn't express his feelings and inmost desires to them. It's like he is supposed to be able to read their minds without them telling him what's going on, but he's supposed to spell everything out for them. Don't be that way ladies.

I don't mean to generalize, I'm just going off of hundreds or maybe thousands of calls. Communicate! Neither of you is a mind reader.

• Personally, being around many girls, I can tell you that majority of them expect their guys to know when something is wrong. To know what they feel. They never want to communicate their feelings. But thankfully, not all of us are like that.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think what people lack in relationships today is grit. They'll flee at the first time of trouble and expect perfection from the start. There's no acknowledgement that the other person is human and imperfect.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 14

• Good take. I especially agree with 6, 7, and 8. I think those 3, if not done correctly, and the expectations made clear early on, it could be the downfall of a relationship. Those are important things for people to discuss, but many don't until it is too late.

• Nice my take for the most part. The only question is, what if I don’t have sexual experience in the past? I know that that doesn’t mean that we won’t have sexual chemistry, but I’m saying that my inexperience holds me back.

• We are as a race quite lucky to have a more advanced mind and able to define our emotions this post helped me to think about us more. Im sure that if i concentrate more about this then ill be able to explain it in a more solid way.

• Relationships aren’t shit today. Lol. I have a lot of female friends, and whenever they find a boyfriend, their relationship lasts 2-3 months. Lol.

Back in the day, relationships were built on the foundation of growing with one another, building together and experiencing life together. However, people don’t care about that shit anymore.

It’s all about sex now, and no one communicates. I’ve heard men and women tell me yet left a good relationship after a couple months because the sex was bad. I asked them if they talked to their partner about it and they always tell me no.

This generation doesn’t care about building with a partner, they can’t communicate, and they want sex to be amazing every time. We live in a sad culture.

• Relationships of the future. Might as well make a reality TV soap about it because its fucked.

• I think90% people I know today are using self centered I hate majority people now thieves

• Everything for everyone is different you want when u want it want I want that's it

• Nailed it. 10 out of 10!

• Interesting MyTake.

• Very succinct, I like it.

• Thank you for taking time to read my post.
      I'm glad you enjoyed it.

• Agreed xD

• no sex for me as l have no girl

• Liked it! As a shy 17 yo I find it difficult to have a relationship. Girls are more into the extroverts.

• Thanks for reading my post.
      On the contrary, ALL girls do not like extroverts. Keep true to yourself and the right person will come along.

• Will you marry me?

Seriously though, I agree with every word of this great take. I wish there were more women like you.

• Thanks for reading my post.
      Haha marry you? If it's meant to be then we'll find each other.
      Just find someone who's a great communicator and you'll be okay!

What Girls Said 4

• Studies actually suggest that young people are hooking up less now not more. The idea that we are living in a hook-up culture is a complete myth that is being pimped by former members of the Free Love Movement. Everything else I agree with.

• Actually, people just jump into and out of relationships easily. The feelings don't last long. That's what I interpreted the hookup culture as.

• Yes in meantime fun

• This sounded like a list of what you want in a relationship.

• Every one is different type of relationship. i prefer two people me & my boyfriend that it.

• They suck.